Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Testing on FlightScope this morning, the GBB performed really really well. Consistently similar numbers which were club head speed around 104-105, spin around 2600 and ball speed a bit over 150. Need to get my launch up a little to really maximize the distance, but so far I am really really hitting it well.

So according to the FlightScope data obtained with a THPer this morning, I hit this driver longer (carry distance) and closer to the center line than any other driver we tested. 4.1 yards longer than any of the others to be exact, and 3.7 yards closer to the center (average of golf balls).

So according to the FlightScope data obtained with a THPer this morning, I hit this driver longer (carry distance) and closer to the center line than any other driver we tested. 4.1 yards longer than any of the others to be exact, and 3.7 yards closer to the center (average of golf balls).

I fully believe that. I have never ever ever seen you hit a driver this long and consistently.

I fully believe that. I have never ever ever seen you hit a driver this long and consistently.

Yep yep. And it will put him and his partner in prime position to win some matches 1 week from tomorrow.

Testing on FlightScope this morning, the GBB performed really really well. Consistently similar numbers which were club head speed around 104-105, spin around 2600 and ball speed a bit over 150. Need to get my launch up a little to really maximize the distance, but so far I am really really hitting it well.
I can't wait to put mine in play. Two different simulators against a bunch of clubs gave me the best feel, consistency, best swingspeed and dispersion. Will be tough waiting for spring.

I can't wait to put mine in play. Two different simulators against a bunch of clubs gave me the best feel, consistency, best swingspeed and dispersion. Will be tough waiting for spring.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

GBB was money all weekend. The change from the LZ Blue to the LZ Red is making me go at the ball a little harder than before, but man you can't argue with these results. Bombs all day.

I think I need to find me a GBB head to put in that matrix speedrulz shaft headed my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want this driver. In my bag. Right meow

I want this driver. In my bag. Right meow

I'm giddy just thinking about the fitting. Paired with the Grandura 530 it was a monster & I can't wait for a professional to unlock the greatness even more.

I'm giddy just thinking about the fitting. Paired with the Grandura 530 it was a monster & I can't wait for a professional to unlock the greatness even more.

I think the tour green may be the one for me, but I want to see the distance numbers with a 10.5 vs the 9 I have hit.

I think the tour green may be the one for me, but I want to see the distance numbers with a 10.5 vs the 9 I have hit.

I'm the same way but with spin numbers. When I hit the 10.5 at Golfsmith the spin was not good, so I went 9*. I'm hoping I get fit into a 10.5 bc I have a feeling I'm leaving yards on the table with the 9*

I think I need to find me a GBB head to put in that matrix speedrulz shaft headed my way.

Mine is going straight into my GBB. Or as I call it, the Glossy Black Bomber.

I'm the same way but with spin numbers. When I hit the 10.5 at Golfsmith the spin was not good, so I went 9*. I'm hoping I get fit into a 10.5 bc I have a feeling I'm leaving yards on the table with the 9*

Were you hitting the 9* around 30 yds high? My fitter has me in a 9*, but last time I met with him he adjusted it to Draw setting and +1...although I think I was already hitting it around 30 yds high.

That being said, I've been curious about the 10.5* head too.

Were you hitting the 9* around 30 yds high? My fitter has me in a 9*, but last time I met with him he adjusted it to Draw setting and +1...although I think I was already hitting it around 30 yds high.

That being said, I've been curious about the 10.5* head too.

For me it was more of a spin issue. 10.5 head I couldn't get it under 3000rpm regardless of the shaft. Once I put the 9* in the spin went under 3k and carry distance increased.

That said I'm thinking a professional fitting might solve the spin issues.

I had the same problem and switching to the 10.5 head fixed it. Ball flight is much better for me and definitely brought th GBB to life

Playing 18 practice round yesterday (wet cond) with my 816/Rogue70x (268cpm) & GBB/665x (257cpm) swapping shafts/heads. This is like S+ vs X in diff combo's
GBB seems a tad draw bias, and I had the rear weight near the end of the channel / full fade + 3/4' strip lead tape on the toe to hit straighter, It worked well to negate my draw.
816 preformed better more forgiving with the GBB softer flex Fuji 665x. I was turning it over Vs 70x pushes
GBB preformed 'very well' with the stiffer Rogue 70x.
816/70x may be slightly less spin, bit more penetrating flight and have a bit tighter dispersion, but center hits are key
The distance between 816/GBB was very similar, perhaps more carry to GBB, however it was light rain wet FW's, so I can't tell yet. Balls were new Srixon Z Star XV's
GBB bigger sweet spot / added forgiveness made my Rogue 70x feel smoother, less harsh & much easier to hit. I felt more confident to go at it, rather than more precision ball strike / swing in good shape with 816. Here is how they differ IMO: 816=Forgiving Blade / GBB=Players CB. The 816's not bad, but GBB is easier to be more consistent
GBB can handle a stiffer shaft, so don't Err to a softer one if you draw the ball with this head
I hit some 'repeatable bombs' with GBB/70x that flew 'straight', tight to land only a few yards from each other, one shot was cranked longer. I was hitting center FW's, (with 816/Rogue 70x miss is a push)
They feel like opposite weighted heads. GBB is slightly more draw bias, so I had rear weight full fade/lead tape on toe, were 816 I def need heal side weight with the same shaft and very square at address.
I prefer a driver to hit straight with required adjustment weight out on the rear pear toe side, rather than the inside heal side. I think it adds more power to the shot, more MOI/forgiveness, and moves the CG more toe side. The GBB has this over the 816, and this is why players are driving it so well n solid.
I may replace the 3/4" lead tape strip on the toe side with a sized weighted washer that fits inside the port under the weight screw of the GBB to add more weight directly behind the ball, and see if I get stronger flights.

I prefer the 816 head to look at at address, however I think the GBB/Rogue 70x was decent today...I need more time with both and LM to check out spin rates / LA / etc. I am 'hoping' to get a bit of roll out with GBB

Last edited:
Can't wait to get my GBB back from Continental Golf to see the paint job

An 8am auction end on Ebay ended up with me winning a 13.5* GBB with a Kuro Kage Regular shaft this morning.

But I already have a BBA815 that I haven't used on a course yet LOL... Driver shootout coming in the springtime!

Picked up a GBB today. Looking forward to giving it a go in January when I get down to Arkansas.

Hello GBB. We have a date tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it

Hello GBB. We have a date tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it

Can't wait to see what you're fit for! PhillyBombs all day!

GBB with a Speeder 757 Evo TS x today was the best yet...Rogue has nothing on 757's Feel, Fuji Kick, Distance, launch and dispersion all 'much' better
Front 9: GBB/757
Back 9: 816 dbd/757 was very good too
Have to get to the LM...

Second round with it today, and really liking what I see. Early in the round was hitting out toward the toe, nice draw with no real loss in distance. Later when I figured out the swing a little, managed to carry a bunker on a par 5 that confirmed what I thought I was seeing carry wise. Last several times I played there I have not been able to carry it.

Anyone tried or have the new Great Big Bertha?

Anyone tried or have the new Great Big Bertha?

Give a detailed review. I hit it and liked it a lot. I had it between the G30 and M1 but that thing surprised me. What's everyone think about it?

Back