1 Question For An OEM

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay guys/girls, you are getting ready to meet with an OEM and will have one question that can be asked. What is it and why? THP will be with Wilson Staff in about an hour and we are going to ask them one of these questions and will give you the answer later.

So you can even tailor it, if you choose, but it could be really for any OEM. You have one question to ask any of them, and know you are going to get a 100% honest answer. What say you?

If you could take any Technology or breakthrough that a Competitive company does with their Clubs/Balls and in an instant its yours, what would it be?

Man, that's a tough one. Only one question? Hmm...

Specific to Wilson: do they believe they've broken the misconception about their gear being inferior in the eyes of the standard consumer?

If not, when do you think it will happen and what's the number 1 thing you are doing to address that misconception?

If money was no object, what do you think would be the next big technological break through in clubs?

Ok, here is my 1 questions;

With the technology you have available TODAY, how far out are the releases that we would see that in?

What I mean by that is, typically with breakthroughs in technology, it takes a year or more in some cases (military) for that technology to be fine tuned and put in to products or designs. How far out are these designs that are being developed with the tech we see today?

One question I have is that if you were able to remove the preconception of what some clubs "should" look like - what kind of improvements do you think we could see?

I think wilson's started to go down that road with the FLX face, and from initial reports it's paid off big time.

Do you test your equipment with your own commercially available golf balls? Do your clubs work better with your Golf Balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I can get a set of irons? LOL, But really, are they running out of room with the current tech to stay within the rules of the USGA.

Are there any recent technological developments in golf equipment that other OEMs are pushing as "the next big thing" and that golfers seem to fawn over, but that you think are silly/overhyped/purely cosmetic - and if so, what is a good example?

How does the marketing team come up with an approved ad campaign that the R&D team can read/watch and, for the most part, say to themselves, "Yes. I agree with that claim."

How many club head designs or concepts get produced before the mass produced design is created?

When testing equipment prior to release, do you use other top selling OEM brands equipment as benchmarks on performance or what kind of data is used to make improvements for the consumers?

my question for Wilson: I do think the gear is on par if not better than any other company out there, what do you think is the next step as far as marketing goes to bring back W/S in the top group of OEM's in the average consumer's mind?

Over the next 5 years, which club (putter, wedges, irons, FW wood, driver) will have the biggest change to it due to technology?

Some great stuff already guys. Keep them coming.

If you had a breakthrough technology wise would you break your standard release cycle to bring it to market immediately? Why or why not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Wilson Staff: Obviously the company is focusing on providing the golfer with an entire set of quality equipment, however, is there a certain product that gets more attention based on the interest of the company to sell? Why?

How important is the selection of colour in club aesthetics? Does Wilson Staff have a goal to utilize the red/white/black that represents the company so well?

Based on a recent thread: Has Wilson Staff ever considered selling 'head only' options for drivers/irons/etc?

How do OEMs calculate return on investment for the money they spend sponsoring PGA players?

This isn't really specific to Wilson.

What is your criteria for a product going from design to prototype/testing to retail and what aspects of that criteria carry the most weight?

How long does it take for driver, fw, hybrids and iron designs to go from concept to the time they hit the shelf for retail.

When will I see golf town carry your full line again up here in Canada.

How much more technology can be put in todays clubs and has it reached the point of limiting returns?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

When will we see adjustable irons? We have adjustable cogs/hosels what have you, the ability to change shafts, lie angle, on drivers for years.

What is the best innovation that Wilson or another OEM came out with that was not successful?

Back