That is awesome work Dan. How cool it will be to see that little + next to your handicap. You must have a great work ethic and focus. I would love to just get to single digits, ive never been there lowest ive got to is a 10.

Dan, you're a beast man. I really enjoy seeing your scores that you post up here. From what I've seen and heard since I've been here, I have no doubt that you'll get there. You've obviously got the talent and determination. For myself, after basically a several year hiatus, I achieved my first goal this year of breaking into the 70s. Did it twice. Now my next goal is to hit par, and keep my handicap in the single digits. Keep up the good work!

I dont know how I missed this thread but I am extremely proud of you Dan. Playing a round with you Atlanta was quite possibly my favorite golf moment I have had so far. Watching you hit a golf ball is just awesome. I have 100% confidence that you will be a + handicap in short order. One thing I will say is to make sure that it stays fun. If you arent having fun playing the game of golf, it doesnt matter what your handicap is, you will lose the love of the game.

What kind of swing flaws do you combat?

Right now it's just a mess with a driver in my hands. I know I'll get through it but I've been adapting to my flaws instead of fixing them all year and now I have some monstrosity of a swing that is purely unpredictable.
1) Posture and set-up position...just can't get comfortable over the ball
2) Swinging under the plane by a large margin
3) Since it's gone to crap I'm swinging scared. Zero weight transfer and I'm ending off balance. If the wrists flip it's left left left.

Driver has been my best club all year and where I've made the most improvement but I've gotta do something here. I can tinker and get back to pounding the ball and just playing my misses that day but I think I'd like to actually get a repeatable swing like I have with my irons/wedges. Maybe a phone call to Golftec is in order.

Dan im looking forward to meeting you in Vegas in a few weeks! You seem like a gamer to me and I share almost the same frustrations as you even though you're a better golfer than me. Over 10 years ago I was a plus handicap and I played with teaching pro's about 4-5 times a week and they all said to step up to the next level I need a cut shot in my bag. I revamped my swing throughout the winter and came out in the spring not being able to break 80. It was a crushing blow that I didn't understand and I gave up the game for over 5 years. I just started playing again about 3 years ago and slowly climbing my way back to a 1.4 about 3 months ago I stopped caring about entering my scores. This year ive broken par about 10 times with my low round of 67 which I shot twice in one week. I think what im struggling with more than anything is the mental aspect of the game. My consistency is horrible.. I might shoot even par today and shoot 82 tomorrow. Physically , my game is what it is. I have a decent swing, not perfect by any means but it works for me and my body type. Mentally I think that's where I need to put in some work. Unfortunately I don't know how lol. I really need to learn how to get that killer instinct back (if that makes sense)... its almost like I say in my mind its ok if I give a few back. congrats on your success and cant wait to see it in action at TPC!!! maybe you can give me some pointers on how you deal with the mental aspect of the game

I'm not going to quote every positive post, but you guys are amazing. What a way to start my day. I hope that everyone who comes in here trying to become scratch gets the same incredible feedback.

Just read the thread now, amazing work my fellow canuck! I'm pretty sure that since i started coming on to THP, your index gets lower every time i see you in a forum. Keep it going at this pace and you'll be a + by the end of the year. Sometimes its as simple as improving the wedge game a bit so you get it close and make those 2 extra par saves to break par, or making a couple putts outside of 10ft. I worked on my wedge game inside of 60yds and my putting from 10ft in a lot at the beginning of this year and it paid off big time, I'm on the + side for the first time since I was 18 and thinking of trying to get a scholarship. Keep up the good work and I hope the index keeps dropping!

I wish you all the best in achieving a scholarship!! That would be an amazing accomplishment.

Right now it's just a mess with a driver in my hands. I know I'll get through it but I've been adapting to my flaws instead of fixing them all year and now I have some monstrosity of a swing that is purely unpredictable.
1) Posture and set-up position...just can't get comfortable over the ball
2) Swinging under the plane by a large margin
3) Since it's gone to crap I'm swinging scared. Zero weight transfer and I'm ending off balance. If the wrists flip it's left left left.

Driver has been my best club all year and where I've made the most improvement but I've gotta do something here. I can tinker and get back to pounding the ball and just playing my misses that day but I think I'd like to actually get a repeatable swing like I have with my irons/wedges. Maybe a phone call to Golftec is in order.

I like it Army. Great idea there. It's one thing to dial in a driver, but another to at least know where it's going to miss.

Dan im looking forward to meeting you in Vegas in a few weeks! You seem like a gamer to me and I share almost the same frustrations as you even though you're a better golfer than me. Over 10 years ago I was a plus handicap and I played with teaching pro's about 4-5 times a week and they all said to step up to the next level I need a cut shot in my bag. I revamped my swing throughout the winter and came out in the spring not being able to break 80. It was a crushing blow that I didn't understand and I gave up the game for over 5 years. I just started playing again about 3 years ago and slowly climbing my way back to a 1.4 about 3 months ago I stopped caring about entering my scores. This year ive broken par about 10 times with my low round of 67 which I shot twice in one week. I think what im struggling with more than anything is the mental aspect of the game. My consistency is horrible.. I might shoot even par today and shoot 82 tomorrow. Physically , my game is what it is. I have a decent swing, not perfect by any means but it works for me and my body type. Mentally I think that's where I need to put in some work. Unfortunately I don't know how lol. I really need to learn how to get that killer instinct back (if that makes sense)... its almost like I say in my mind its ok if I give a few back. congrats on your success and cant wait to see it in action at TPC!!! maybe you can give me some pointers on how you deal with the mental aspect of the game

I think making the game fun has been one of the best mental adjustments I could have ever made. Coughing up a stroke on a short birdie putt miss or giving one back on a bogey that 'should not have happened' used to destroy my attitude, but now I look at them like challenges to get back to the number i'd been playing to. Also, 67 is an incredible score and I too hope we get to have a good chat in Vegas.

Great stuff Dan! Hope you go low these next few rounds!

you are absolutely right dan! all my good rounds this year I had fun and the bad rounds I couldn't wait for it to be over! just need to learn how to kick start my happy place...im searchin!

How much practice time and actual rounds do you typically get in, Dan? Just curious, as I'm semi happy with my game after a long time off, but having enough time to practice and play I think is my biggest struggle in trying to improve further.

How much practice time and actual rounds do you typically get in, Dan? Just curious, as I'm semi happy with my game after a long time off, but having enough time to practice and play I think is my biggest struggle in trying to improve further.

I see you're from N.IL so I am sure you know the golf season we face all too well. I typically play sparingly during the winter months and really start to pick the game back up in late march or early April depending on how much the weather cooperates. This year I've logged I believe 65-70 full rounds and that is down from last year, where I played every chance I could (at the cost of practice) and finished the year around 120 rounds.

In a given week I'll spend typically three nights on the course whether it's on the range or on course, but many nights I am able to get in a small range session along with some putting practice before I hit the course for 9 holes (not so much this time of year with the sun going down earlier). Let's call this part the 'I'm really fortunate that my wife appreciates my golf addiction" admission.

The biggest difference for me this year has been spending more time around the putting green, chipping and putting. I spent a TON of time on the range in 2011 and neglected my short game. While my game looked good from tee to fringe, it never really paid off in the long run with scores. With that in mind, I found a putter head shape I liked this year and really, really began working on my stroke, using both modified SPi methods and just trying to promote consistent forward roll on the ball.

I will say I am not the type of guy who can walk away for any amount of time and just pick it back up. I am a creature of habit and things like variable green speeds are the worst thing that could happen to me on course haha. Recently I took a few days off (5-6 around labor day) and I lost quite a bit of my touch with the putter coming back. Not like I was in disaster mode, it was just not a situation where the putts that were close were falling like it was prior to departing for the weekend. It's just the type of person I am, I suppose. I need to keep it fresh or it goes away.

My solution this winter will be indoor practice, whether I utilize my birdie ball putting green or try to find something a little bit more like the real thing. I don't want to lose that touch again.

Wow, that's some serious amount of golf! Yes, dealing with the winter really sucks. Good for you to get out that much and put that much work into it, and for finding a wife that will put up with it :D . I get out typically for 18 every other weekend, and 9 the other weekends. Then maybe an hour and a half of chipping/putting practice and 45 minutes of range practice each week. Didn't start this year until probably late May/early June. Hoping as my kids get older I will find more time.

hey dan you mentioned putter shape.. what are you using? I used a Cameron for about 15 years and I just switched to a tm ghost spider and im rolling it 1000% better. im not completely sure if its the perfect one for me but it works real dang well

hey dan you mentioned putter shape.. what are you using? I used a Cameron for about 15 years and I just switched to a tm ghost spider and im rolling it 1000% better. im not completely sure if its the perfect one for me but it works real dang well

I use the SeeMore m7. It's very much the same headshape of the SeeMore si2 which I used at the beginning of the year. For some reason, it just sets up very well for me and gives me the confidence to put a good stroke on the ball. It's nice to stick with one head shape after messing with far too many in 2012.

Dan, HUGE congrats on being so close, and I can't wait to see you get there this weekend (I have full confidence in you)! Scratch is a really distant "droal" right now for me (half dream, half goal haha). Beginning of this year I was floating around 16, then I came out the first couple months and fired off my first round in the 70's (78) and several low 80's rounds which knocked me down to about a 13 by around June. Lately I've come back to earth a bit (and lost the 78 out of my cap calc :banghead: ) and am floating around a 14. I'd very much like to get down to sub 13 by the end of this year, and have starting really working on putting and <60yd wedge work - currently I average around 36 or 37 putts, and that just is not conducive to scoring well. I'm looking to get to single digits next year, and beyond that, who knows?

I would ask you if my practice idea ( < 60yd wedges/chips/putts) is the right idea, and also about my distance. Right now I take a pretty short swing to promote straight shots - on average I'm only getting probably 240 out my driver lately. I used to be able to get probably 275 out of my driver, but with much less consistency; I'd like to get back to there, but not lose the consistency. Thus I'm thinking about getting a lesson to start bringing the power back. Sound like a good idea, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Congrats again on your solid play, and can't wait to see you with a little + on your cap! Hope I get to see you and play a round at some THP event next year!

Dan, HUGE congrats on being so close, and I can't wait to see you get there this weekend (I have full confidence in you)! Scratch is a really distant "droal" right now for me (half dream, half goal haha). Beginning of this year I was floating around 16, then I came out the first couple months and fired off my first round in the 70's (78) and several low 80's rounds which knocked me down to about a 13 by around June. Lately I've come back to earth a bit (and lost the 78 out of my cap calc :banghead: ) and am floating around a 14. I'd very much like to get down to sub 13 by the end of this year, and have starting really working on putting and <60yd wedge work - currently I average around 36 or 37 putts, and that just is not conducive to scoring well. I'm looking to get to single digits next year, and beyond that, who knows?

I would ask you if my practice idea ( < 60yd wedges/chips/putts) is the right idea, and also about my distance. Right now I take a pretty short swing to promote straight shots - on average I'm only getting probably 240 out my driver lately. I used to be able to get probably 275 out of my driver, but with much less consistency; I'd like to get back to there, but not lose the consistency. Thus I'm thinking about getting a lesson to start bringing the power back. Sound like a good idea, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Congrats again on your solid play, and can't wait to see you with a little + on your cap! Hope I get to see you and play a round at some THP event next year!

Thanks for the kind words buddy. I hope for that round as well!

In regards to your practice, I think putting should be a major focus. When you start to get closer to 30 putts a round, it's not just a number, but a reflection of success rate. The biggest difference for me in a given round right now is whether i am making the putts that count, and that is the difference between a 71 vs a 75. For you, I think it'll be the difference between 80s and high 70s, at least for now :good:

In terms of practicing short game, I'd say start on the greens as a priority and slowly work your way out. For me, I rarely if ever work on my 60 yard shots because if I am sixty yards from the green and swinging a club, I have not played that hole even remotely how I wanted to. Course management is a preference, and I much prefer 100 yards vs 60.

Congrats on your huge achievement Dan! It has to be an incredible feeling to finally be there. Have you thought about getting into some amateur competitions or is that in your future at all?

Dan

I hope you make your goal, you are a class act all the way around and I will be honored to tee it up with you anytime and anyplace!

With the game I saw on display in MB, you have the ability to hit scratch and beyond...just keep having FUN!! We all play better when we have fun....grinding is not fun.

My goal is to get to single digits, not sure I will ever get there...just way to inconsistent, but I can keep dreaming!

Congrats on your huge achievement Dan! It has to be an incredible feeling to finally be there. Have you thought about getting into some amateur competitions or is that in your future at all?

I was asked that the other day, and I am just not sure it's all that interesting to me Kelly. Golf has always been more of a recreational get away to me, with the exception of THP events of course, which are hardly cut throat competitions as much as they are awesome.. I am just kind of happy trying to achieve this goal for now.

Dan

I hope you make your goal, you are a class act all the way around and I will be honored to tee it up with you anytime and anyplace!

With the game I saw on display in MB, you have the ability to hit scratch and beyond...just keep having FUN!! We all play better when we have fun....grinding is not fun.

My goal is to get to single digits, not sure I will ever get there...just way to inconsistent, but I can keep dreaming!

I think you've got the game for single digits Tim. If you can avoid the big mistakes, your short game and recent tee game should certainly help to propel you there. I believe in it!

Thanks for the kind words buddy. I hope for that round as well!

In regards to your practice, I think putting should be a major focus. When you start to get closer to 30 putts a round, it's not just a number, but a reflection of success rate. The biggest difference for me in a given round right now is whether i am making the putts that count, and that is the difference between a 71 vs a 75. For you, I think it'll be the difference between 80s and high 70s, at least for now :good:

In terms of practicing short game, I'd say start on the greens as a priority and slowly work your way out. For me, I rarely if ever work on my 60 yard shots because if I am sixty yards from the green and swinging a club, I have not played that hole even remotely how I wanted to. Course management is a preference, and I much prefer 100 yards vs 60.

Thanks for the tips man. I hadn't even really thought about the bolded - a lot of times particularly on par 5's, I hit my tee shot, and then just mash a hybo or fairway as far down as I can get it and don't worry much about what distance I'm playing from. Clearly I need to plan those shots better...

Anyway, to the putting green this afternoon!

Way to go Canadan! It is funny but breakthroughs happen like that. Its usually not just a stroke or two here or there its 4 or 5 strokes all of a sudden and you are wondering what went so right.

Course management is a big part of the skill set of getting better too. Being smart enough to put the ball where you can play an excellent shot to the green vs. being between clubs in a not so good spot hoping to hit greens takes a while to get a handle on.

I thought I did it pretty well but my playing lesson showed otherwise. Course management was likely the biggest take away from that lesson, and playing better more consistent golf is the result.

For me, I rarely if ever work on my 60 yard shots because if I am sixty yards from the green and swinging a club, I have not played that hole even remotely how I wanted to. Course management is a preference, and I much prefer 100 yards vs 60.

This is an interesting thought, and something I never even thought about until recently. I always just tried to get as close to the green as possible.

So if you're say 260 yards out on your 2nd shot into a par five, and reaching isn't possible. Would you be more inclined to hit 160 to leave 100, even if hitting 200 to leave 60 is a very playable option? Assuming the shot to the green is open from both 60 and 100.

I just looked up my hcp on what I was using (swingbyswing golf) and I guess I didn't pay attention to it last time I looked before revision.. it has me listed as a 0.5 ... yeah ok.. that thing is full of s&*T..it must not count the high scores

Thanks for the tips man. I hadn't even really thought about the bolded - a lot of times particularly on par 5's, I hit my tee shot, and then just mash a hybo or fairway as far down as I can get it and don't worry much about what distance I'm playing from. Clearly I need to plan those shots better...

Anyway, to the putting green this afternoon!
This is an interesting thought, and something I never even thought about until recently. I always just tried to get as close to the green as possible.

So if you're say 260 yards out on your 2nd shot into a par five, and reaching isn't possible. Would you be more inclined to hit 160 to leave 100, even if hitting 200 to leave 60 is a very playable option? Assuming the shot to the green is open from both 60 and 100.

It almost every single case, if I am 260 out and am playing in my regular money games, I will play to 105 yards. That allows a buffer to hit a poor shot to 120 (50* wedge) or a flushed shot to 95 yards (58* wedge). The way I see it, from 260, the likelihood of me getting it on the green and close enough for a clear shot at eagle is very low, and I am going to have to hit a great shot for a chance at birdie if I miss from 260. On the other side of the coin, if I have a 100 yard shot at the hole from a good flat lie, I can generally get it close enough to sniff birdie more often and not, as well as not having to deal with the rise and fall of bad+good shots.

As it stands, I'll play a hybrid max into a par 5 green and more than likely lay up if there is trouble around the green. The benefits of playing it safe and staying in a smooth rhythm outweigh the mistakes for my mental game.

I just looked up my hcp on what I was using (swingbyswing golf) and I guess I didn't pay attention to it last time I looked before revision.. it has me listed as a 0.5 ... yeah ok.. that thing is full of s&*T..it must not count the high scores

GHIN counts your ten best scores out of your last twenty rounds. The index is designed to be a 'potential to score' more than what you SHOULD score every time out on course.

Maybe it's doing the same thing using SwingbySwing... Either way, Congrats on 0.5!!!!!

It almost every single case, if I am 260 out and am playing in my regular money games, I will play to 105 yards. That allows a buffer to hit a poor shot to 120 (50* wedge) or a flushed shot to 95 yards (58* wedge). The way I see it, from 260, the likelihood of me getting it on the green and close enough for a clear shot at eagle is very low, and I am going to have to hit a great shot for a chance at birdie if I miss from 260. On the other side of the coin, if I have a 100 yard shot at the hole from a good flat lie, I can generally get it close enough to sniff birdie more often and not, as well as not having to deal with the rise and fall of bad+good shots.

As it stands, I'll play a hybrid max into a par 5 green and more than likely lay up if there is trouble around the green. The benefits of playing it safe and staying in a smooth rhythm outweigh the mistakes for my mental game.

I'm shorter than you, so I'd probably modify this and play to about 90 yards (my full 58* is more like 80 yards), but the idea is excellent. Especially considering my current distance does not frequently allow me to go for par 5's in two anyway - why mash it up there with a 2h or 3w and chance missing it (which I have done NUMEROUS times) when I can hit less than that? Will try to think about this next time out, thanks Dan.

Back