I never quit! Because I HATE playing poor golf, I'll go into rescue mode and try to find a way to score...

Pre and during during Legacy, definitely grind it out. Especially considering it was match play. Since the Legacy, I have been far less motivated, but I wouldn't say I quit. I spent all day yesterday grinding out just trying to find a good shot somewhere. Thank goodness for my short game.

~Rock

My last round started double, bogey, double. Traditionally a slow starter on that course, but turned it around by hitting a huge drive on the hardest hole on the course and making a bunch of pars.

I have had casual rounds where I have "phoned it in" and just had a good time watching my sons, but for the most part, I will try to grind it out.

I don't ever quit since I started taking the game less serious after I got married and had kiddos. Far more important things to kick myself over than a silly game of golf.

But I do get up for events (THP and a few random tournaments) to keep the competitive blood flowing. If I do start off badly, I tend to have that "well, now we can relax" moment. I string a few good holes together and then try to get the train back on the tracks.

I quit writing down my score. Then usually salvage my game. If I didn't keep playing and trying, it would bother me for days.

Jack

I can't say that I really fall into either category. I've found that I play my worst golf when I'm really trying. My solution is to tee it up on #1 with that IDGAF attitude and watch my scores drop. People may disagree or think it's crazy, but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The start does not indicate what the finish will be. I play the game one shot at a time. When you approach the game that way the score becomes a number you write down after the hole and not an indication of anything more. Mental toughness to forget scores and scorcards until after the round is hard to build and you need tough to accept every shot you hit and to move on to the next shot.

I don't quit, but when bad turns to worse midway through the back nine, if I am by myself I stop caring, meaning I will get out of my game and try new things.

But if I am playing with someone else, I keep on grinding and try to do the best I can. Nothing worse than setting up a round and hearing someone say "I'm done" when you are doing well and they had a bad stretch of holes.

I don't ever quit. That might not mean I play any better but I'm not quitting.
Just like in basketball, good shooters don't stop shooting if they miss the first 3 or 4 shots.

They just keep shooting!

Let's say you start out with a rough first 3 holes. If you are a low handicap player think a double and a couple of bogeys. For a high handicap player think multiple OB off the tee and some 3 putts. How do you turn it around? Or do you basically phone it in and "have fun"?

I have watched this at multiple THP Events and it seems that its very different for different golfers. Some quickly "quit" and point out that they are "just having fun" and others grind to get it back and see when the switch flips.

Now keep in mind that neither is right or wrong, but I was curious after witnessing it on a few occasions.

At a THP event? Probably alcohol hahaha!

At home? I just focus on turning it around. The first five holes at my home course rarely result in a great start for me - I look at #6 and beyond with optimism and fight through it.

Ill ask again because I think a few missed it, but if the guys that pretty much kill it and play for fun and stop keeping score when things are not going well, how accurate do they think their handicap is? Genuine question. Ill add do people that do not feel their handicap travels, do you think this is one of the reasons?
I do not quit. I post every score that is able to be scored. I know that my handicap is legit. Regardless what ATLGolfer thinks!!:alien:

I hate to lose. Always have. I get really pissed when I don't play up to my lofty expectations. I shouldn't be that way, but I am. Do I quit? No, but I can get down on myself pretty bad. Not to the extremes that I used to. I am very competitive but I don't like to gamble on the course. Go figure.

Every shot is a new shot. Every tee box is a new opportunity.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

depends. most of the time i'll try to figure out what's going wrong and fix it. sometimes, especially like when I was in high school and sometimes we played practice rounds mostly for the sake of figuring out the last couple of varsity spots and I knew I was already in, I would not care too much and just hit some weird shots and see what I could do. for instance, if I was in the rough on the left, I would hook it around a tree on the right side of the fairway and try to get it back around.

I try to play 6 sets of 3 holes, with a goal per each set. This lets me re-set and put the blow up behind me. However, I can't say that always happens and format definitely matters - if it is a casual round with friends and beers I'm much more likely to mail it in but grind if it is a competitive round.

I always play it out. I don't get upset over a bad start. I'm out there to have fun. I feel like if I am getting upset over a game then I'm taking it way too serious.

I try to play 6 sets of 3 holes, with a goal per each set. This lets me re-set and put the blow up behind me. However, I can't say that always happens and format definitely matters - if it is a casual round with friends and beers I'm much more likely to mail it in but grind if it is a competitive round.

This ^ but with 3 sets of 6. If the ship isn't righted by 12, time to find the beer cart! :banghead:

I had a nightmare round the week before last. A good friend had invited me down to his new course to partner him in a competition. I was really looking forward to it as I hadn't played this particular course for the best part of 15 years.
Started with 6 blobs. If there was a pond or hazard to find, I found it. He was playing reasonably steady golf, but nothing I could do was helping him.
Picked up 2 points on the 7th hole, 1 point on the 8th, and then another blob on the 9th. Started the back 9 with a blob too! That's 3 points after 10 holes.... Jeez, I can't remember the last time I played this badly.
Had I been playing on my own I would have gladly walked in. It was raining hard, I just didn't want to be there.
I parred the 11th, something "clicked" and I started hitting the ball better again, and played the last 6 holes two over.
But I hated it.

Never quit - we are more likely to make fun of each other over it to be honest to try and help each other get over it

If it still continues then I will play a couple holes using clubs I can always hit consistently until I get things figured out and hopefully back onto the right track

Grind until the end. One round last year I was 12 over after 12 and the round seemed absolutely hopeless. Then, all of the sudden, the switch turned on and I played 4 under over the last 6 holes.

This scenario reared its ugly head last night at league. I started out bogey, bogey, double on a par 3! I think my partner saw the steam coming out of my ears lol. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and I was able to salvage the round with a birdie on 9 to shoot 39 after that horrible start.

I don't quit, but I do stop trying force it to turn it around. I just try to forget what happened before and just swing the club and take it one shot at a time. Joke around a bit and get myself back to a good state of mind.

I had a real grinder round yesterday. It started just fine shooting 2 over on the front. Then the comedy of errors began on the 10th hole with a rope hook me Jesus hybrid off the tee into the driving range lake. The back nine was one bogey after another and that was grinding and scrambling to get bogey. Finally on the 18th hole I hit a perfect drive, stuck the 58* wedge to 15 feet from 85 yards out, lipped the bird and made par. Ended up shooting 6 over on the back with 3 pars and 6 bogeys. But that 18th hole pulled me out of the funk and am really looking forward to the couples tourney the wife and I are playing on Sunday and Monday.

Let's say you start out with a rough first 3 holes. If you are a low handicap player think a double and a couple of bogeys. For a high handicap player think multiple OB off the tee and some 3 putts. How do you turn it around? Or do you basically phone it in and "have fun"?

I have watched this at multiple THP Events and it seems that its very different for different golfers. Some quickly "quit" and point out that they are "just having fun" and others grind to get it back and see when the switch flips.

Now keep in mind that neither is right or wrong, but I was curious after witnessing it on a few occasions.

I once started out +6 after 3 holes (bogey, bogey, quad), then went just 2 over for the remaining 15 holes to shoot 80. At the time I was an 11 handicap. After the snowman on the 3rd hole, I made 6 straight pars to close out the front 9. I never give up, even if it takes 15 holes to finally get it right.

Back