Long Irons vs Hybrids - Alternate Shots

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The latest episode of Alternate Shots tackles a question that many have discussed on here.

Im going to post this before watching the video...

"Hybrids are better. Everyone should use them."

EDIT: Success!

• Admin
Im going to post this before watching the video...

"Hybrids are better. Everyone should use them."

Its alternate shots. There are two sides and both state their case.

This is an interesting one for me. While I have grooved my hybrid nicely, I have never seen the kind of turn in a long iron (draw/hook turn) that I have with a hybrid when struck poorly. Anthony makes a great point that addresses what I am talking about, where hitting that hybrid on the toe will increase the curve.

That said, I think distance wise especially on imperfect shots is a major nod to the hybrid design. Lower groove iron strikes are bound to come up 10-15-20% short of their intended target and that can spell disaster.

• Admin
And then the guy in the middle tells you what you should be doing.

He is also stating his opinion on what would work best.
No different than you stating yours or anybody else on here.
3 opinions discussing the topic.

Very similar to those on THP doing the same.

I switch my long irons out with my hybrids depending on the wind. I like the piercing ball flight of a long iron on windy days but the higher softer ball flight when it is less windy.

Easy choice for me. I can't consistently hit a long iron.

I'm pretty conflicted personally about this. I know I shouldn't play a 3i. But I haven't found a hybrid that works better. The hybrids I have tried are usually a touch longer and more in accurate actually. I get the hooks with hybrids. I don't with a 3i. Plus my yardage gapping is better with my 3i.

Hybrids. Lower CG, hit em higher, and have more fun.

I could game am entire bag of hybrids.

Hybrids Allow Me To Compete.......Period. I Like A 4 Iron For Getting Out From Under A Tree Though. :)

I'm a long iron/hyron guy, hybrids are left machines for me because its ALL IN MY HEAD and I can't make myself swing them like I should. I want to love hybrids, but its a definitely love hate relationship for me at this point though. I love hitting long irons though.

I like the forgiveness of hybrids but the accuracy of long irons if that makes sense

Hybrids. Lower CG, hit em higher, and have more fun.

I could game am entire bag of hybrids.

I thought you practically do...

I think the guy who invented the hybrid should have won the Nobel Prize.

This seems to be along the lines of "should you be playing blades".

I put forward the below (And also contend the sky is blue and the earth is not flat)

Better golfers with more repeatable swings that have a legit chance to put the ball on the green from 215 yards probably should hit irons as they want accuracy and do not need as much forgiveness.

Handicaps of the 12 or higher range, looking to mostly advance the ball "in the vacinity" of the green from 200+ and should take the forgiveness.

There are certainly exceptions to this.

But, I will add that the hybrids are outstanding clubs for little bump and runs and sweeps out of green side rough; better than an iron or trying to blade a wedge or putt through 6 yards of fairway or something.

Regarding under tree shots....I hit a few of those a round and can do that with a hybrid. But I practice those on the course ALOT

This seems to be along the lines of "should you be playing blades".

I put forward the below (And also contend the sky is blue and the earth is not flat)

Better golfers with more repeatable swings that have a legit chance to put the ball on the green from 215 yards probably should hit irons as they want accuracy and do not need as much forgiveness.

Handicaps of the 12 or higher range, looking to mostly advance the ball "in the vacinity" of the green from 200+ and should take the forgiveness.

There are certainly exceptions to this.

But, I will add that the hybrids are outstanding clubs for little bump and runs and sweeps out of green side rough; better than an iron or trying to blade a wedge or putt through 6 yards of fairway or something.

Regarding under tree shots....I hit a few of those a round and can do that with a hybrid. But I practice those on the course ALOT

Accuracy and forgiveness are not mutually exclusive properties.

For awhile I was gaming a 4i in 21* of loft and a hybrid of the same 21*. I liked that I could hit the hybrid from nearly anywhere and get decent distance and direction, but get better distance and feel off the tee and fairway with the iron. I'm not saying this is a great idea for everything, and may illustrate why this is a continuing debate. I've usually hit long irons pretty solidly, so I think the decision might be more based on my accuracy off the tee. With more distance and direction from my driver and more fairways, I'd prefer a long iron. If I'm hunting through the rough/desert/parking lot, I'll be more comfortable with a hybrid.

Last season I would have strenuously argued hybrids, but now I'm not so sure. My personal experience, up until this season as to only use 8-PW as an iron, then 5-2 hybos. But I finally have an iron set I am hitting well and find myself wanting the longer irons, as most of the hybrids I have require more of a sweeping and gentler swing. I finally got some hyrons and they transition well with my irons, but I like what I've seen hitting the 4 and 5 irons of my set in the store.

In other words, I think hybos are generally easier to hit, but the advances in shafts and irons in general may make long irons a better option for a lot more golfers than has been the case in the past, including high handicaps.

I can consistently hit my 4 iron when teed up, but not so much from the fairway grass. I'm pretty good with my five iron. If I have a 200-ish yard shot I'm using my Ping G10 hybrid. Particularly if I've practiced with it that day and know my shot shape. Any given day, it can be fade, straight or draw. I actually prefer my long irons, if you consider 4 or 5 a long iron. Hybrid if I have some room in the fairway because they're not quite as consistent for me.

I can not my 4 iron, whether off a tee or off the deck, far better than I could ever hot a hybrid. Weirdly, it's my favourite club in the bag!

Accuracy and forgiveness are not mutually exclusive properties.

I tend to agree quite a bit... I don't consider more forgiving irons to be more accurate all that often.. Maybe I just haven't found the perfect one.

I'm on the fence on this one I think hybrids definitely offer more forgiveness and you can work them right or left. but if you can play along iron and play it well I've seen the damage that people can do with them. I think along iron little bit more versatile than a hybrid but that's just me

I hit one so called "long" iron, the 4, and then I go into hybrids. But my 4i is 24*, so it's not quite as hard to hit as the 21* 4 irons in some sets. I hit it pretty well, and I like that it turns on me when I want it to, and that I don't get the hooks with it sometimes (like I do my hybrids). The trade off is that sometimes I get a little slicey with it. I've definitely toyed with the idea of a hybrid 4, but I need to do a better job with fitting it so I don't get hooky with it.

Definitely benefits to both, but at the moment I'm in the camp that says there is some merit to a long iron vs. a hybrid.

Back