Hitting of a mat.

davis20

Reaction score
Handicap
I was just wondering if anyone has trouble hitting off off mats. I can't for the life off me hit off of one. I get a gigantic banana slice when hitting off off one. I normally push my balls our the occasional hook. Just wondering if anyone else had trouble.

A theory of mine is that maybe I'm hitting the mat just before the ball catching the toe of the club causing the face to open. Or just trying to kill it for some reason being indoors and all. Never the less it is quite frustrating. I haven't taken my own clubs indoors yet so I am more talking about demo clubs, but my clubs aren't fit. I just can't see why the ball flight is that much different indoors off off a mat then normal.

I feel like my contact isn't as clean off a mat as grass, but I don't have any strange misses with the mat.

Pretty common if you hit the ball heavy to see an unusual or exaggerated miss on the mats. Pretty much exactly what you said. The club face can be opened/closed (depending on the person) from contact with the mat before the ball.

No problems off the mat. I can usually feel when I hit it fat on the mat.

I'm not a fan of mats because the ones at the local range are fairly meh, but I do see some slightly exaggerated misses when using irons on them vs. grass. Usually hooks, which I don't normally have with irons. I like to place a towel around 6" behind the ball so I'm focused on making ball first contact. If I hit the towel, I know I hit fat.

We moved to the mats this week at my club. A little early this year I think. A lot depends on the type of mats you have. We spent a good bit extra when we replaced our mats a couple of years ago to get the best available. They are actually pretty nice to hit from and are easy on the hands, wrists, etc. The only complaint most people have with them is that they almost "auto-correct" a hit that is a little fat. I've heard many say they wish they could take a piece of the mat out on the course with them when they play.

I'm not a fan of mats because the ones at the local range are fairly meh, but I do see some slightly exaggerated misses when using irons on them vs. grass. Usually hooks, which I don't normally have with irons. I like to place a towel around 6" behind the ball so I'm focused on making ball first contact. If I hit the towel, I know I hit fat.
That's a good idea on the towel. I will try that next time I go. I will take one of my irons and do a little comparison as well. Thanks for the responses guys.

We moved to the mats this week at my club. A little early this year I think. A lot depends on the type of mats you have. We spent a good bit extra when we replaced our mats a couple of years ago to get the best available. They are actually pretty nice to hit from and are easy on the hands, wrists, etc. The only complaint most people have with them is that they almost "auto-correct" a hit that is a little fat. I've heard many say they wish they could take a piece of the mat out on the course with them when they play.

I don't remember which one, but I remember reading an article before one of the US Opens, where the course hosting it required just that. For I think two weeks before the event, the members had to carry little strips of mat around with them and hit all fairway shots from that so as not to damage the turf.

I actually feel the opposite about mats. For me a mis-hit on the mat isn't as bad as a mis-hit on grass, and feels like I'm not getting real results.

I don't remember which one, but I remember reading an article before one of the US Opens, where the course hosting it required just that. For I think two weeks before the event, the members had to carry little strips of mat around with them and hit all fairway shots from that so as not to damage the turf.
Don't they do that at TPC Sawgrass during the winter/spring?

Don't they do that at TPC Sawgrass during the winter/spring?

they do that at my course as well, no fairway play in the winter, you play from the first cut or a mat

Back