Alerting Officials & Calling in Penalties

Do you honestly think he would risk cheating when he knows he's being watched from 99 angles?

I guarantee at least one other player broke a rule yesterday that wasn't caught on tape. Or it was caught on tape and no one cares one bit because it wasn't Tiger.

Fans should not be able to call things in. Plain and simple. Haters gonna hate.

#ImWithChad

We aren't talking about other players. We are talking about the fact it was caught on camera and TW did nothing about it. Defending what happened by bringing up someone else honor that isn't even in question holds bearing on this conversation.
Not everyone plays by the rules or obeys the speed limit. Should we all get retroactive tickets for the laws we break everyday even though no one saw it?
TW may or may not have seen the ball, I believe he did because he is so anal about his game. And he didn't nothing about it.

Like Thain said, nobody called it in. I don't like anyone who cheats. Tiger just happened to be caught doing it. Anyone else who cheats sucks. But we see guys call penalties on themselves all the time, but Tiger didn't. Tiger sucks as a person and this only reinforces that for me.

Oh, you know Tiger personally now? Interesting. Can you get me an autograph?

Oh, you know Tiger personally now? Interesting. Can you get me an autograph?

This sucks and is very condescending. Can someone not have an opinion that differs from yours?

Does everyone who thinks Tiger sucks as a person have to know him personally? Or was it the cheating comment you took issue with? You can't think he cheated (or have the opinion that he cheated) unless you know him personally?

This sucks and is very condescending. Can someone not have an opinion that differs from yours?

Does everyone who thinks Tiger sucks as a person have to know him personally? Or was it the cheating comment you took issue with? You can't think he cheated (or have the opinion that he cheated) unless you know him personally?

To say that Tiger sucks as a person is quite judgmental.

Alerting Officials & Calling in Penalties

How is that condescending? Claiming someone whom you have never met sucks as a person? Come on, Smalls...it's a bold claim to say something like that.

I'm a pretty judgmental person, though.

So that makes you right in this whole thing?

I can say for myself I've been there before. I've gone to move some sticks and see that one will move my ball. I've pulled back at that point and just hit my ball. Did I incur a penalty? No, because the ball didn't move from what I could tell. It may have wobbled a little but to my best guess it didn't move from the original position. The exact same thing could have happened to Tiger.

Whether you're a fan or hater, you can't say with any certainty what Tiger saw or thought. You just can't.

#ImWithChad

What I find funny is that everybody here thinks they know that Tiger was intending to cheat. How could anybody (outside of Tiger himself) possibly know that he didn't think the ball moved and just oscillated?

Ah well, to each their own I guess.

If the ball had just oscillated the markings on the ball would have stayed in the same place. When they zoom in on the ball it is clear the markings move and stay there. Tiger was plenty close enough to see that clearly and how he reacted is pretty good circumstantial evidence to back-up the physical evidence present in the video.

Tiger is probabaly the most competitive guy on tour and also has a big ego. Add in the fact he doesn't blow fields away very often anymore and a stroke or two means a lot. Not hard to arrive at the very likely conclusion that Tiger conveniently ignored what he saw. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad person or even a "serial cheater" in my mind. Mostly just makes him human.

People go to death row or their prison sentences are increased or deacreased when others have to interpret intentions based on available evidence. There is whole lot less at stake in this situatioin and no one is out of line stating what they believe happened based on the evidence available.

I can say for myself I've been there before. I've gone to move some sticks and see that one will move my ball. I've pulled back at that point and just hit my ball. Did I incur a penalty? No, because the ball didn't move from what I could tell. It may have wobbled a little but to my best guess it didn't move from the original position. The exact same thing could have happened to Tiger.

Whether you're a fan or hater, you can't say with any certainty what Tiger saw or thought. You just can't.

#ImWithChad

I didn't mean to say anything with certainty. I just kind of assumed that we were speculating because of the nature of the situation. That's just what I think.

#ImWithChad
You are 100% correct. But in the same vein, it applies to you too. Just because he "says" he didn't think it moved, doesn't mean he believes that. You just can't say for certain. That's why it's an opinion. And everyone is entitled to one.

I bet if it had been Sergio this had happened to, everybody here would be calling for him to be thrown off the tour for cheating LOL

I bet if it had been Sergio this had happened to, everybody here would be calling for him to be thrown off the tour for cheating LOL
I dunno about that. Everyone deserves to be penalized accordingly if they were in the same situation. I mean, I think tiger deserved the penalty. It's just a sad state to think of how many might try to handle the situation poorly as I believe Tiger did.

That said, and going back to the topic of the thread, I just don't agree with the way it was reported.

Justin Rose just called a penalty on himself, so nobody had to call it in for him.

<skimmed, tldr>

I will state what has probably already been stated here. At no time should anyone outside the officials, participants, etc that are PART of the tournament, be able to call any penalties. I don't care if it was the #97 player in the world, it's BS.

It's the only sport on the planet the public is allowed to influence the outcome of an event, from an officiating standpoint. I hate it.

What if people called in saying #93 was offsides!
Or Jeter really didn't catch that ball!
Oh wait, replay DOES catch that, and still nothing happens. Once the next play is made, that's it.

The fact that Mr. Woods should have called it is moot, the point is some random jerknozzle is allowed to sit on his couch eating chips and call in a foul that evidently wasn't seen ON the course.

:at-wits-end:

I've never thought to call in, no would I!

All this talk of whether or not people would call in, I wouldn't even know how too!!! Where the hell do people get the number from LOL

All this talk of whether or not people would call in, I wouldn't even know how too!!! Where the hell do people get the number from LOL

We know people :wink:

As an official of 4 sports, if anyone other than another official tells me I missed something, they promptly get told to F off...

Dan

I really don't think Tiger thought of the ball mood because people who have that kind of knowledge don't go off and the and bash walls which seems to be a pretty good assessment of what happened according to reporters outside.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

If the ball had just oscillated the markings on the ball would have stayed in the same place. When they zoom in on the ball it is clear the markings move and stay there. Tiger was plenty close enough to see that clearly and how he reacted is pretty good circumstantial evidence to back-up the physical evidence present in the video.

Tiger is probabaly the most competitive guy on tour and also has a big ego. Add in the fact he doesn't blow fields away very often anymore and a stroke or two means a lot. Not hard to arrive at the very likely conclusion that Tiger conveniently ignored what he saw. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad person or even a "serial cheater" in my mind. Mostly just makes him human.

People go to death row or their prison sentences are increased or deacreased when others have to interpret intentions based on available evidence. There is whole lot less at stake in this situatioin and no one is out of line stating what they believe happened based on the evidence available.

Something a lot of people are forgetting is that Tiger doesn't have the ability to rewind in slow motion and double check where markings are, etc. To claim that someone is a cheater because they were able to watch something in slow motion is just flat out wrong in my opinion.

But each person is entitled to their own opinions. You can play the what if games all you want, but the fact remains that nobody outside of Tiger knows what Tiger thought he saw at the time.

For what it's worth, the same thing happens when people differ about Phil, Ricky, Sergio, etc.

Back