Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Any comparisons to these and H5s?

I still feel like looks wise, the H5 and 850f should be switched in the lineup. Haven't had time to hit these yet but really liked the H5 recently.

Hey guys....newbie here. I'm resurrecting this thread because I bought these irons today. Now I don't have anything to obsess about.....aaarghh. Iron search is over. Lol. My bag is set for now.

Did hit a large bucket with them at the course tonight. Very impressed. I tried everything, was thinking Apex Forged, XR, XR Steelhead...with XR being top on the list. I also hit the AP2 714's.

These were the best for me in the shop. I hit the ball in the same location of the club each time and the shot dispersion was ridiculously low. They were by far the most consistently accurate. It wasn't even close, even when compared to the 8 iron in my previous set which I was really happy with.

Higher and better ball flight than my Callaway Xhots....not quite as long...but more accurate.

Not sure if anyone's interested in this....but I am so here goes. Played my first round with my new irons tonight after work. Short story, shot four over par on the back nine of my home course. This is my best score ever on this section of track. Clubs are awesome, and I'm very pleased; I think they are right for me and I should have years of use with them. I also think they will help me reach my goal of breaking 80 in golf within one year of taking up the sport.

Longer version. I took my drivers and hybrid out of the bag and only played my 850 forged set 4 - GW and my putter. I didn't even hit practice balls. I just stretched out....took a few swings, about 8 stabs at some whiffle balls....didn't even warm up the putter.....just jumped on the back nine.

Used the four iron and five iron off the tee each time. BTW...that score isn't legit because I sometimes played two balls, and a few times I played four balls. Had the course to myself back there. Anyway....hit well. I kept the best score on each hole just for kicks, but really I was really close or the same even with my second ball. Was able to get between 210 - 225 each time with the four iron. This is impressive (to me) because I've never really been able to hit a four iron off the deck. This one I can. And the five iron was very consistent for me when I didn't over swing. Anyway....drove it generally right down the middle off the tee each time, found fairway almost every time and started working on approach shots.

Found the ball flight very good. Higher than my Callaway Xhots all the way through the set. I did see my own weaknesses....hit all over the face. Some in the sweet spot, some off the toe, off the heel, and off the blade. Didn't feel especially punished for missing...except for when I over swung. That is when I rip into it so fast and hard thinking I'm going to get the ball farther (rookie mistake, I know) and it ends up hooking right for me. Left handed golfer.

Anyway....when I hit the sweet spot it was great. Nice high, straight ball flight....learned the certain sound the irons make when you hit them in the right spot...and felt that they were just about as long as my Callaway's. Didn't feel like I lost too much in distance but definitely gained in accuracy. In short......I love these Mizuno's.

Regards.

Congrats on the new irons! It sounds like you've made a good choice. I hit the 850 Forged at some demo days and borrowed a demo for some range time. They're definitely some nice irons and look terrific. ENJOY!

Club update - now that I've played my new set a few times. I was wrong about losing distance coming from the Callaway Xhots. Nothing wrong with those irons BTW...I kept them and someday I may use them again. But for now, I'm really happy with the 850 forged.

On a 203 yard par 3 this morning I tee'd up my 6 iron. Flew the green pin high. I could have made that shot with my old 6 iron....but this one feels better and gives a higher ball flight and I'm seeing this all the way through the set. Not a ridiculously noticeable improvement from before, but enough for me to feel that I didn't just waste money buying new irons. FWIW.

Club update - now that I've played my new set a few times. I was wrong about losing distance coming from the Callaway Xhots. Nothing wrong with those irons BTW...I kept them and someday I may use them again. But for now, I'm really happy with the 850 forged.

On a 203 yard par 3 this morning I tee'd up my 6 iron. Flew the green pin high. I could have made that shot with my old 6 iron....but this one feels better and gives a higher ball flight and I'm seeing this all the way through the set. Not a ridiculously noticeable improvement from before, but enough for me to feel that I didn't just waste money buying new irons. FWIW.

6 iron? Damn! That would be so nice.

Back