Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

I was able to see these in hand at the store the other day and I must say I am quite impressed. Much better looking than the 800 pros I had, I know these are pretty far removed, and interested to see how you like them James.

I am curious how these feel compared to the 800 and 825 lines. I always thought they felt different. Not a lot of feedback in the hands and that's what turned me off in the first place.

Really like the look of these. Silver on silver is very clean.

Nice job Mizuno!

The 825-PRO forged was not much of a difference from the 800 Pro's IMO. I will be very interested to see if the 850 Forged are an improvement over the 800 Pro's or the 825 Pro's.

I have the 850Fs, 825 pro and 800 Pros in graphite. I would say 850 and 825s are very close in forgiveness. Distance would go to the 850s basically because the Boron gives it a thinner face. Ball speed is just a bit higher with boron. The pros are still great for me too and I like the feel of the shaft. 800 and 825 distance is close but forgiveness nod goes to 825s. I like the new shaft offering in the XP.

Looking forward to seeing your impressions. Been playing them since early September - with Orochi shafts - and have been pretty pleased.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Boron don't make these irons crazy long and they aren't any longer than the cast 850s. What they are saying the Boron does is to give us a forged iron that keeps up with the distance u get in GI irons. So if you want the forged set, you don't have to sacrifice any distance. I noticed a drop off in distance in the JPX EZ set vs the forged. With the 850s I did not except slightly on mis-hits. Looking at these again, I regret not putting in some time with the forged after falling for the 850 cast lol. Oh well :)

I think it's worth mentioning that the Boron don't make these irons crazy long and they aren't any longer than the cast 850s. What they are saying the Boron does is to give us a forged iron that keeps up with the distance u get in GI irons. So if you want the forged set, you don't have to sacrifice any distance. I noticed a drop off in distance in the JPX EZ set vs the forged. With the 850s I did not except slightly on mis-hits. Looking at these again, I regret not putting in some time with the forged after falling for the 850 cast lol. Oh well :)
Because being forged or cast affects distance?

For those curious:

e52cbdf98a8a77231eedb82d35d1bd08.jpg

Solid debut, good distance, on what I saw they seem close to Apex distances for me, hit a 7i about 175 today into a par 3 which was clean as can be. But it's yet to be seen how numbers will stack up when I can start recording some info.

One thing I will say is misses didn't give a much different feedback than pure strikes vibrationally. Also, they sound more solid, not that high click you get from most of the mp lines.

Close to Apex meaning a little less or a little more? 175 is a SOLID 7 iron.

I saw nearly identical distances as well when I was getting fit the other day. However Apex's launched about a degree and a half higher on average.

they sound more solid, not that high click you get from most of the mp lines.

They sounded like they were singing to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those curious:

e52cbdf98a8a77231eedb82d35d1bd08.jpg

Solid debut, good distance, on what I saw they seem close to Apex distances for me, hit a 7i about 175 today into a par 3 which was clean as can be. But it's yet to be seen how numbers will stack up when I can start recording some info.

One thing I will say is misses didn't give a much different feedback than pure strikes vibrationally. Also, they sound more solid, not that high click you get from most of the mp lines.

Interesting, so you are saying that miss hits feel the same, or very similar, as pure hits. Do you see the same distance on miss hits as well?

Interesting, so you are saying that miss hits feel the same, or very similar, as pure hits. Do you see the same distance on miss hits as well?
Interested in this as well. I found them a bit more penal than similar clubs such as the Apex.

These things are not forgiving at all :alien: :)

To be fair, other companies are putting out forged sets (in some form) that do not sacrifice launch and/or distance (Callaway and Srixon).

Interested in this as well. I found them a bit more penal than similar clubs such as the Apex.

Distance in misses and pure def differ. Too early to compare directly to the apex, but given the profiles I wouldn't expect them to be the same anyways to be honest, particularly in the long irons with their non progressive nature.

These things are not forgiving at all :alien: :)

Bottom groove needs a slot. Hahaha

To be fair, other companies are putting out forged sets (in some form) that do not sacrifice launch and/or distance (Callaway and Srixon).

I was about to say this as well, you CAN have both, I honestly found to curious that mizuno talks as if these are the only options out there for that when they clearly aren't.

Was fun watching you hit these today, definitely got some distance back as compared to the new Pro Combo's.

I need to hit these tomorrow morning when we actually have a range.

Really appreciate your thoughts on these Jman. Your comments are both thoughtful and useful. I'm excited to follow along as you get more play with these.

Yup I completely agree. If anything Callaway Apex's were forged and delivers great distance compared to the competition in general. I was just mentioning what Mizuno claimed to be the reason behind them adding Boron. stronger metal, more ball speed, thinner face possible etc etc. this is what I was referring to.

“This is distance generated by genuine technology, rather than just cranking lofts or using longer shafts. It used to be that you had to give up distance to play a Forged iron … but with the JPX-850 Forged you no longer have to.”
Chris Voshall – Senior Engineer

I was about to say this as well, you CAN have both, I honestly found to curious that mizuno talks as if these are the only options out there for that when they clearly aren't.
Sorry Jman, I should've been more clear in my post that I was comparing Mizuno vs Mizuno and what they claimed was the reason behind the magic of Boron lol (that's why i mentioned the EZ vs EZ forged). If anything Apex set the standard which is why I look forward to seeing Apex 2.0 one day lol.

“This is distance generated by genuine technology, rather than just cranking lofts or using longer shafts. It used to be that you had to give up distance to play a Forged iron … but with the JPX-850 Forged you no longer have to.”
Chris Voshall – Senior Engineer

I know it's not you Flash. But so much of this quote is laughable to me. It's quotes like this that make me not want to play Mizuno irons.

I know it's not you Flash. But so much of this quote is laughable to me. It's quotes like this that make me not want to play Mizuno irons.

What's funny though, is the lofts on these are almost identical to the Apex.

I'm not beating that horse right now. It's dead.

I do think these are a very clean looking GE club. I've enjoyed the swings I've had with them.

What's funny though, is the lofts on these are almost identical to the Apex.

Wouldnt that be a testament to the boron then, the Mizuno are a degree weaker and a 1/4in shorter as well as a complete forging instead of using a cast face which I what I believe Mizuno is referring to in the quote a few posts up??

Back