9 Holes with my son!

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
50 degrees with 12-15MPH winds and my 8 year old asks to go to a "real" course for the first time today. Who am I to say no??!!

It was amazing to be out there with the little guy, and he is really taking to the game. We were a little rushed at first as we were in the middle of two groups, but eventually let the group behind play through as they were quite good and very speedy and we didn't want to hold them up. We were also walking the course and his little legs can only go so fast!

Needless to say, I can't really focus on my game when he is with me, as I'm really trying to make sure he has a positive experience and am very focused on his playing and encouraging him, but I got some really good hits in. We didn't officially keep score but I made three triple bogeys and some of my shots were really nice (for me). The funniest moment of the day was when he hits a nice tee shot about 100 yards quite straight, and when it was my turn I say to him, "watch me hit that stupid tree to the left of where your shot landed". There was a tree center left in the fairway. Of course, hit the tree, and my ball ends up behind his. He hit a further tee shot than I did!

All in all, even though we froze our buns off, we had an amazing time together. Great memories were made today! Didn't take my oldest daughter with this time, but next time it will be three of us.

Congrats on the fun round. Hold onto that ball for him as a keepsake. Sometimes it's not even about how good or bad you played, it's just playing with the ones you love.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Memories to last forever.

A great day for you and your son!

Next time pick a more positive target than the tree. It's amazing what the power of suggestion can do. You thought it and you hit it.

:)

I love it. Forging a lifetime full of memories on the golf course.

A great day for you and your son!

Next time pick a more positive target than the tree. It's amazing what the power of suggestion can do. You thought it and you hit it.

:)

That's exactly what I said to him when I hit the tree!!

Thats awesome. Im like you when i take my son up to the course, even though he is 13. I dont really concentrate on my game i just try to watch and help him out more.

Great day to make some memories. Play with him all you can!

It's great isn't it? I cannot wait for my son to get a few years older and I will be "forced" to play with him every weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also eagerly waiting to take my little guy out on the course.

That is so awesome,going to take my big guy to the pitch at putt next summer. Then executive courses the year after along with golf camps. It's an amazing feeling to pass along this wonderful game .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I love getting out there with my 9 yr old. The father/son time is far more important to me than working on my game, that's for sure!

Nice story. I tried one time and we made it 7 holes and he had enough and said he wanted to go home. Tried a few more times but just never expressed an interest in anything to do with golf. Took him to a few local car races and he is so so hooked. When nascar or formula racing is on tv he is glued to it

either they like it or they don't. Enjoy the time we have with them

50 degrees with 12-15MPH winds and my 8 year old asks to go to a "real" course for the first time today. Who am I to say no??!!

It was amazing to be out there with the little guy, and he is really taking to the game. We were a little rushed at first as we were in the middle of two groups, but eventually let the group behind play through as they were quite good and very speedy and we didn't want to hold them up. We were also walking the course and his little legs can only go so fast!

Needless to say, I can't really focus on my game when he is with me, as I'm really trying to make sure he has a positive experience and am very focused on his playing and encouraging him, but I got some really good hits in. We didn't officially keep score but I made three triple bogeys and some of my shots were really nice (for me). The funniest moment of the day was when he hits a nice tee shot about 100 yards quite straight, and when it was my turn I say to him, "watch me hit that stupid tree to the left of where your shot landed". There was a tree center left in the fairway. Of course, hit the tree, and my ball ends up behind his. He hit a further tee shot than I did!

All in all, even though we froze our buns off, we had an amazing time together. Great memories were made today! Didn't take my oldest daughter with this time, but next time it will be three of us.

Congratulations!!! If you play your cards right this will be the first of many afternoons to come - and the first of many terrific memories.

I feel incredibly lucky that my son not just plays golf but LOVES to play golf - pretty much as a preference to any other activity on a nice day. There is just something about spending a few hours together on the course that cannot be beat. One of the best afternoons was two summers ago when the foursome was me, my son, my father and my father-in-law - three generations of priceless golf - neither can play anymore but they will still come out and ride along with us.

My son is 10 and, though we played the last couple of summers a decent bit, this was his first truly serious summer of golf. I bet we got out about 35+/- times this summer - 18 holes when we had time and 9 holes when it needed to be quicker - I couldn't wait to get out with him. There were a couple of stretches where he and I played 4 days in a row (there were some stretches where he played 7-8 days in a row). I also probably walked 15 rounds with him during tournaments this summer, including this past Saturday (it was cold!). I bet I didn't play more than 3-4 rounds without him this year. On top of spending so much time with him, I don't think I've played better in 20 years so it has been good for my game as well. Luckily he has gotten pretty good and so playing can be playing (with a bit of comment here and there) and not a lesson. When he was starting out there had to be a fine balance on the course between too much instruction and not enough so he could feel like he was "playing".

Now that the season is ending here in Chicago, it is down right depressing that we won't have a round or two of golf to look forward to every weekend - though of course we will find other things to do together (including trips to a nearby dome to hit and maybe some father son long weekends somewhere to play).

That's great! My son is 23 but he has told me this summer he wants to take lessons so he can play with me. Too bad he is a lefty or he could have my old clubs.

That is a memory you will never forget. My boys, 27 and 34, and I did much the same thing.

Way to go Dad. Special moments like that come around only a few times, so cherish those and keep him in the game.

That's a great memory. I took my 3 year old to the driving range and putting green this year and he loved it. Hope he asks me to go to the "real course" someday like yours did!

that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it up dad!!!

Sounds like an amazing experience for both of you!

Fantastic! Playing with family is really great!

Awesome thread & post! Hope he continues to stay interested in the game. That's one of the things I've always appreciated about golf - it's probably the best at bridging generations. Even if father/son relationships aren't the best, they can still find that common interest. It's how I connected the best with my dad.

My son started at 4 years old. I took him to the course when he was 7 (on slow days). Now he is 11, and we play every weekend.
You need to take some pics with your phone, and write dates on th scorecards.
You are building some great memories.

Congrats on the great bonding relationship.

Jack

Back