How do you do it? Golf Clubs, End of Season/Long Term Storage

DufferToo

101 Putters and Holding
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putters
With the Polar Vortex impacting most of the nation, the golf season seems to be over for a large portion of the THP readership. This raises the question: How do you prepare and store your clubs for the winter?
I imagine that there are those that just pull the bag from the trunk and stand it in the corner of the garage, trusting the layers of dried mud and grass to protect the clubs until the spring. On the other end of the spectrum I can envision the JDM affectionadios carefully bathing and oiling each club prior to placing them into a climate controlled vault.

Though I'm lucky to live where I could golf 365 if I didn't mind getting wet, I still have clubs that I put away for the season. For example I'm putting my summer clubs away. My procedure is to clean and ensure that the clubs are completely dry before placing them into their shipping container and storing them in the spare room.

So THP'rs what are your tips, tricks, and procedures to long term club storage?

Last edited:
You mean I'm not supposed to ride around with them in the trunk of my car forever? Uh oh. This reminds me though. I do need to clean my clubs but I'm not going to store them away for the winter. There might be a day when I'll be able to play and the temp is above 40 or so and the wind isn't blowing.

I don't store them, because I live in the south and I can play year round. :banana:

I just put them inside in the corner of our finished basement. Since I go to simulator places and lessons during the winter, I'll put them in my trunk as necessary, but will not leave them in there for too long as I would do the rest of the year. And that's generally it. So long as they're in a dry, reasonably temperate area and are clean, I'm satisfied they'll be good to go when next season rolls around.

Funny you should ask...I usually keep all my golf gear as well as my wife's in the garage until winter. I just put my wife's bag and my staff bag with all the extra random clubs down in the basement. They need to go in boxes so the cats don't use them as scratching posts. I keep my main bag in the garage or the trunk of the car for when I make the occasional trip to one of the domes in the area.

I was so concerned with keeping my clubs cared for that I bought a house with a heated 3-car garage, dedicated one bay for my hitting net, and bought an Optishot to use in there.

What, overkill?

P.S. - the new house does have a heated garage with a dedicated HVAC unit because the sellers were car people and stored and worked on old cars in there. And I did claim the bay directly under the HVAC for my golf setup. I will be moving in mid-December and have the Optishot set up by Christmas. I will begin taking tee time reservations starting in January. :wink:

I don't store them, because I live in the south and I can play year round. :banana:

Amen Brother!! I've lived in FL, AZ and TX my whole golfing life - that would SUCK to play less than 12 months out of the year!

I clean mine after every round, and keep them in the shed. They'll probably stay in there throughout the winter, unless I see a 60-70 on the forecast, because then I'll be on the links.

Amen Brother!! I've lived in FL, AZ and TX my whole golfing life - that would SUCK to play less than 12 months out of the year!

Yes it does. Only get about 6-7 good months of golf around here.

I have a shed at the course for my golf cart and all my stuff....and share the shed with my family. Over the summer I just leave my machetes in the shed. Winter....I bring the clubs home and leave them in our hotwater tank/furnace room. I kinda hide them....outa site...outa mind.

I was so concerned with keeping my clubs cared for that I bought a house with a heated 3-car garage, dedicated one bay for my hitting net, and bought an Optishot to use in there.

What, overkill?

P.S. - the new house does have a heated garage with a dedicated HVAC unit because the sellers were car people and stored and worked on old cars in there. And I did claim the bay directly under the HVAC for my golf setup. I will be moving in mid-December and have the Optishot set up by Christmas. I will begin taking tee time reservations starting in January. :wink:

That is an awesome setup Rob. Not only for the golf but I had trouble with my jeep all last winter and it sucked having to work on that thing when it was 20 degrees out. Space heaters don't help enough on that cold garage floor

While I can't play year round, I can practice year round on full swings. The basement has an unfinished section that is plenty high for every single club. Got my ultimate monster tee mat and a net setup. Plenty happy. Wouldn't mind a ball flight simulator though

Me and my wife's are already inside the house in a nice dark closet for the winter. I'll see them in late March or April.

While I can't play year round, I can practice year round on full swings. The basement has an unfinished section that is plenty high for every single club. Got my ultimate monster tee mat and a net setup. Plenty happy. Wouldn't mind a ball flight simulator though

That is what I do too. I have the net to tight so they rocket off of the concrete floor right back at me. I am working on fixing it too.

Thankfully I get to play year round so no storage here. I couldn't imagine no playing year round.

Well mine come in from vehicle this weekend for a good cleaning then off to the basement until I start on a sim

Mine reside in the basement for the winter. There a few reasons for this. One, I have a net set up in the basement and hit some balls a couple times a week. Secondly, I'm buiding a 12x12 putting green in my basement and will soon be on it every night. I don't like to leave them in my car over the winter months. No need to waste the space when i'm not going any where with them

I gather all my golf gear in a room, sort of a den, and during the winter I go in there every day and gently caress my clubs, and stuff.

Sometimes I putt, do some paint work, sort my tees, balls, towels, re-arrange bags. What ever that gets me trough the day.

Road trip north?

Ditto. Mine stay in the toolbox on the back of my truck for easy access.

My season came to an end rather abruptly around a week and a half ago. Cleaned the clubs up and they'll sit in the spare bedroom for the rest of winter until I go hit on an indoor sim at some point.

I live in NJ and find a way to play year round. My clubs stay in my man cave always clean and on display

Mine usually sit at the club in my locker untouched for 4 months but this year they'll be getting some use. Sunday I head to Naples to stay at our condo and I'm bringing an extra set of clubs and leaving them down there permanently. The tough thing will be deciding which one of my 20 putters I should leave in Florida.

My clubs are nothing special, but before winter i clean them and store them in my basement. My putters and wedges will get used all winter. I have a net and the ceiling is tall enough in the basement that i can use putter through about 5 iron comfortably. Other than that i end up just letting the rest of the bag sit in the corner by my tv in the basement. Also I want to get to hit some of the indoor sims and try that out as a winter option for golf.

Back