What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I played the Srixon Z-Star (2013) again today for 9 holes. This is the second time in two weeks I played them. They are officially my favorite ball right now. Distance off the tee with a nice soft feel, the spin and feel on the wedges, and of course, nice feel off the putter. Looks like I'm gonna hunt down a few more dozen of these!

Played the E6 & Superdeep again today. Not sure which I like better, the E6 seems straighter & longer but the Superdeep feels a little softer.

Played 2 rounds today with the maxfli u4x. Really liked it, straight off the tee, food feel and spin around the greens. Will definatly buy more of them.

Bridgestone e6 and TaylorMade RBZ but not in play, just short game practice.

Bridgestone e6 and TaylorMade RBZ but not in play, just short game practice.
Dont typically hear about the e6 and short game. Any thoughts?

I know they are pretty cheap balls, but I'm currently playing the Nike Mojo. With my game currently, I really don't see the point in paying for a more expensive ball. I hope one day that my game has improved so much that I need to move on to a ball with better spin control. But for now, I will keep playing the Mojo.

Dont typically hear about the e6 and short game. Any thoughts?

I don't hit my irons and wedges with a ton of spin usually, but I do have a pretty high trajectory, and even higher with the e6. I've put the e6 into greens on full shots with short irons and wedges and either spun it back a few inches or gotten less than 6" of rollout. I think it gets overshadowed by the e5, but it's a very good ball from inside 100 yards in its own right.

It doesn't grab greens or check terribly well on pitches for me, but that's my wedge play as much as the ball. Flop shots hold very well, helped by the very high trajectory the ball seems to generate.

played the Srixon Z-Star XV (pre-spin skin, i believe) yesterday. Liked the feel off the tee and with the irons, but wasnt getting the check im used to or want from off the green. Good feel with the putter but a lil jumpy off the putter face. I'll play this dozen out.

Bridgestone 330 RXS and the Srixon Z. But now I have to find a ball to play at 40 degree temps.
Cheers.

Pro V1x, Z-Star, and 3 UP.

Liked them all, though I know they are all different. I'd play any one of them given the chance.

B330-S.

I really enjoyed it.

I've never played a B330 or an S somehow.

I wasn't entirely impressed with the S. I did like the 330 when I found a few though. Lost a bit of distance with the S. I'll stick with my HBT for now.

That Black is definitely a good ball.

I just wish it was a little more durable. Hopefully they can fix that for 2014

LOL durable it is not.

Wilson Staff 50

It was in the 40's and windy with rain. I had my best day with the driver ever, and it was still nice and soft around the greens.

It was too wet to form an opinion about spin. I could have stopped a Top Flite XL from 185 easy yesterday.

Last round I played the Callaway Hex Chrome+. Like the Hex Black Tour, this ball good roll with the driver and great control with the irons around the greens. However, Callaway needs to figure out a way to improve the durability of the cover without sacrificing the ball's performance. Cover held up a little better than the HBT but not by much. Keep getting cracks around the perimeter of the hexagons on the ball.

Back to the Hex chromes for my last two games and like them a lot. Those two rounds were with the same ball and it would easily get another round out of it. It has a few bits a round the edge of a couple of the hex dimples but nothing to worry about, it still performs like it did when I took it out of the box. That is why I brought another box of them.

I regularly play Hex chromes. But, after reading all the fun feedback from the recent THP Bridgestone event, I was so taken by Bridgestone's participation that I went out and bought a box of e6's. Sort of my weird way of saying thanks.

It felt solid hitting it, but because of wet course conditions, and heavy, foggy air, I didn't get a feel for distance, bounce, spin and such. I certainly saw nothing to make me switch from my regular Hex chromes. They're in my bag and I'll play them again under better conditions.

Hex Chrome, tried others throughout the year but can't find anything that performs better for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Switched over recently from last year's Srixon Z Star XV to this years version with the spin skin. Certainly noticed more spin on wedges and chips with this years ball but durability has slipped a small amount but still much better than any other premiium golf ball.

Normally play the e6 and have got quite comfortable with it, but tried the Srixon AD333 (previous model without the Spin Skin) on Saturday and have to say I am not a fan. It felt more 'clicky' off the clubs and I just wasn't a fan of how it felt in general

Off the tee I was having a pretty good day so everything was going very straight although I do feel that I lost some distance based on where some of my tee shots were landing (not including roll-out) - I did have one bad swing which managed to lose 1 ball off to the right but I don't think the e6 would have fared any better with the tee shot I hit on that particular hole

Irons seemed to have a similar distance, although I didn't feel like I was getting the same feedback that I get with the e6

Due to the rain on Friday it was difficult to say whether I was seeing more spin than the e6 as the greens were quite soft so anything from 7i through to full wedges was stopping very quickly but that could have been down to conditions as my mate tried a sleeve of my e6 and they were stopping very quickly as well

I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't be switching from the e6 to the AD333 I played although I might give the 2013 version a try and see if the spin skin makes a difference, but my mate did say he was impressed with the e6 and could be tempted to swap to it from the AD333 he usually plays - he has said he will play the e6 again when we are out on Friday

Normally play the e6 and have got quite comfortable with it, but tried the Srixon AD333 (previous model without the Spin Skin) on Saturday and have to say I am not a fan. It felt more 'clicky' off the clubs and I just wasn't a fan of how it felt in general

Off the tee I was having a pretty good day so everything was going very straight although I do feel that I lost some distance based on where some of my tee shots were landing (not including roll-out) - I did have one bad swing which managed to lose 1 ball off to the right but I don't think the e6 would have fared any better with the tee shot I hit on that particular hole

Irons seemed to have a similar distance, although I didn't feel like I was getting the same feedback that I get with the e6

Due to the rain on Friday it was difficult to say whether I was seeing more spin than the e6 as the greens were quite soft so anything from 7i through to full wedges was stopping very quickly but that could have been down to conditions as my mate tried a sleeve of my e6 and they were stopping very quickly as well

I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't be switching from the e6 to the AD333 I played although I might give the 2013 version a try and see if the spin skin makes a difference, but my mate did say he was impressed with the e6 and could be tempted to swap to it from the AD333 he usually plays - he has said he will play the e6 again when we are out on Friday

Doc you have to give the Hex Chrome a try as you would kill that ball. Amazing in the wind as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I may be in the minority, but to me, a quality golf ball doesn't make enough of a different in scoring for a mid-high handicapper, so I refuse to pay more than a buck or so per ball, except on the rare occasion I have a credit on my club account from league event winnings, then I'll splurge on a box of E6s or NXTs or something like that. I have no problem buying cheapo balls. I bought something from Wilson recently, I forget the name of the ball, but they were like $10 for an 18-pack, maybe even less. I played one for two straight rounds and shot about what I would with any ball. I will say that compared to some other balls that I've hit, they don't have the durability, but for me, I don't play with a ball long enough for it to matter that much. The one that lasted two rounds, I put it away in the "old balls" pouch in my bag and wouldn't play it again in a round that I was playing for score, except maybe to finish a hole that I lost a ball on already.

If I ever get to single digit HCP I may start playing mid-level balls like the E6, but until then, I'll keep playing the cheapo balls.

Back