Not a fan of white, adjustable or Adams but...

bellairemi

Reaction score
Handicap
As some of you know, I perform clubfitting on a contractual basis for our local shop. Several years I stopped trying to fit myself, partially because what little time I get at the shop I need for fittings and to test all the new equipment that comes in the door. Also, you can imagine how time-consuming the process is when you have to run the launch monitor, continually change the club set-ups, etc by yourself. Finally, I really wanted to see how other fitters go about their business.

Anyway, here at the end of our season I finally gave up on my Rapture V2 driver. The last full fitting I did for myself was 3 years ago and this club had the best launch monitor numbers (by far at times). I have hit some drives at lengths I should not be able to given my 102-103 SS. That said, this year I started to see two way misses and eventually lost total confidence in the club.

So I set up a fitting with a friend of friend, who owns a shop and has a huge number of used drivers. I figured I would just buy something cheap from his used collection to finish up this season and see what kind of numbers/ideas he had for my fit. It was a really strange fitting as he kept handing me used clubs and watching me swing, every once in awhile consulting the launch monitor. About 1/2 hour later he wanders away and reappears with a white Adams driver. Since my shop stopped carrying Adams a few years ago due to their QC problems, I was not familiar with their newer lines - heck, didn't even realize they had a white driver. My initial reaction was "yuck" - not a fan of white, thought Adams made poor quality clubs and saw no need for adjustability if I was being fitted.

He sees the look on my face and asks me politely to hit it for awhile while he helps another customer. I got about a dozen swings in before he comes back and asks to look at the face contact. Now I knew that I had been centering the ball pretty well but had no clue how well - impact marks would have all fit within a quarter at the dead center of the face. Really at that point I knew as a fitter that unless the launch/spin was way out of whack this was the club for me. We tested it a bit on the launch monitor and the launch was a bit low at 10.5 but decent while the spin was pretty close to optimal.

Obviously buy the club - 10.5 Super LS with a stiff Fubuki Alpha. I immediately take it to my home course and then had a chance to play it on two of our area's toughest courses. Wow, what a difference having a club I'm confident to pull out on just about any hole. I love how the white top/black face frame the ball and the adjustability proved valuable as my on course experience prompted me to move it up to 11.5. Now my miss is my preferred one (right) and I have a slight fade as my stock shot. Not it is not as long on center hits as the Rapture V2 but the accuracy trade off is well worth it.

One additional note on the fitting - I bought it not realizing that the Fubuki was not the stock shaft. I called the fitter a few days later to ask why the Fubuki and not stock the Kuro Kage. He said he could tell by watching that the KK would spin too much. So in essence he nailed the head and shaft in the first club he handed me. Boy I wish I was that gifted as a fitter!

As some of you know, I perform clubfitting on a contractual basis for our local shop. Several years I stopped trying to fit myself, partially because what little time I get at the shop I need for fittings and to test all the new equipment that comes in the door. Also, you can imagine how time-consuming the process is when you have to run the launch monitor, continually change the club set-ups, etc by yourself. Finally, I really wanted to see how other fitters go about their business.

Anyway, here at the end of our season I finally gave up on my Rapture V2 driver. The last full fitting I did for myself was 3 years ago and this club had the best launch monitor numbers (by far at times). I have hit some drives at lengths I should not be able to given my 102-103 SS. That said, this year I started to see two way misses and eventually lost total confidence in the club.

So I set up a fitting with a friend of friend, who owns a shop and has a huge number of used drivers. I figured I would just buy something cheap from his used collection to finish up this season and see what kind of numbers/ideas he had for my fit. It was a really strange fitting as he kept handing me used clubs and watching me swing, every once in awhile consulting the launch monitor. About 1/2 hour later he wanders away and reappears with a white Adams driver. Since my shop stopped carrying Adams a few years ago due to their QC problems, I was not familiar with their newer lines - heck, didn't even realize they had a white driver. My initial reaction was "yuck" - not a fan of white, thought Adams made poor quality clubs and saw no need for adjustability if I was being fitted.

He sees the look on my face and asks me politely to hit it for awhile while he helps another customer. I got about a dozen swings in before he comes back and asks to look at the face contact. Now I knew that I had been centering the ball pretty well but had no clue how well - impact marks would have all fit within a quarter at the dead center of the face. Really at that point I knew as a fitter that unless the launch/spin was way out of whack this was the club for me. We tested it a bit on the launch monitor and the launch was a bit low at 10.5 but decent while the spin was pretty close to optimal.

Obviously buy the club - 10.5 Super LS with a stiff Fubuki Alpha. I immediately take it to my home course and then had a chance to play it on two of our area's toughest courses. Wow, what a difference having a club I'm confident to pull out on just about any hole. I love how the white top/black face frame the ball and the adjustability proved valuable as my on course experience prompted me to move it up to 11.5. Now my miss is my preferred one (right) and I have a slight fade as my stock shot. Not it is not as long on center hits as the Rapture V2 but the accuracy trade off is well worth it.

One additional note on the fitting - I bought it not realizing that the Fubuki was not the stock shaft. I called the fitter a few days later to ask why the Fubuki and not stock the Kuro Kage. He said he could tell by watching that the KK would spin too much. So in essence he nailed the head and shaft in the first club he handed me. Boy I wish I was that gifted as a fitter!

Always good to see how others do your job from time to time, huh? Glad you found a driver that works for you.

It is odd how little information is being traded between clubfitters these days - I attribute it in part to the demise of the PCS several years ago and to the rise of the launch monitor. Now, just about any thoughtful golfer can (with a little research and time on a good launch monitor) fit themselves fairly well. Compare that to my real job of trail design where we are always trading notes and comparing methods.

Always good to see how others do your job from time to time, huh? Glad you found a driver that works for you.

Wanted to love it, but couldn't keep it airborne in the 9.5/KK S set up. Sounded really bad, but loved everything else about it (other than the airborne thing).

Cool story. This year's Adams drivers were the first ones I have ever liked.

Even when we carried them, I was not particularly a fan of their drivers either. Our shop's pro did take notice of the fact that I have an Adams club which raised his eyebrows. We are dropping a few lines here soon and since Adams is with TM now, I suspect we might see Adams in the shop again.

Wanted to love it, but couldn't keep it airborne in the 9.5/KK S set up. Sounded really bad, but loved everything else about it (other than the airborne thing).

Well that whole airborne thing is a bit of a problem :). Heck, I'm mid launch/mid spin and need the 11.5 setting to get the height I want. Strangely I do not mind the sound/feel and I'm usually pretty particular about it.

Well that whole airborne thing is a bit of a problem :). Heck, I'm mid launch/mid spin and need the 11.5 setting to get the height I want. Strangely I do not mind the sound/feel and I'm usually pretty particular about it.

Definitely have heard/hit worse sounding, but it's a loud one. I never loved the white drivers either, but this one just did it for me. Looks so good.

Congrats on putting aside the clubs you 'didn't' like to find the club that works for you!

I'm not even sure I've ever hit an Adams driver. They're all so ugly I usually don't get passed holding and looking.

I have a buddy who swore off Adams products when he bought a set of A7os irons and the on course performance did not match to the fitters numbers and recommendation. He went in for a driver fitting and walked out with a new Adams driver with a senior shaft. I was consistently 30 yards in front of him before the fitting, now it is pretty much a wash. We all have to get out of our comfort zones when it comes to what to play.

I have a buddy who swore off Adams products when he bought a set of A7os irons and the on course performance did not match to the fitters numbers and recommendation. He went in for a driver fitting and walked out with a new Adams driver with a senior shaft. I was consistently 30 yards in front of him before the fitting, now it is pretty much a wash. We all have to get out of our comfort zones when it comes to what to play.

Most definitely. Hell, I'd play Hello Kitty clubs if they made me a better golfer!

Great read dude! I've tried their drivers, and hated them. So I'm glad you found the good in them!

Back