Best location you ever lived in

Toronto,I really miss the friendly atmosphere ad culture of the city. That being said it is on my list to places to relocate.

Big fan of Toronto. Living in Buffalo have been there many times. Also have friends that live in and around Toronto.

Man, when I got orders down here this time, I thought I'd hate it. I spent my first trip down here treating it like a deployment...work for a year, and move on to your next station.

Now that I've been down here in Arizona for a couple years, I love it. I love the weather, I love the altitude, I love golfing 10 months out of the year without so much as a frost delay. Similar to Washington in the summer, I meet a lot of different people from different parts of the country. I can't beat the mixed 4-some of golfers who live in Arizona, are TDY at Fort Huachuca, and Winter but consider themselves from anywhere from Winnipeg to Yellowknife.

I was there TDY for a couple months. Like you I was dreading it a little bit, even though my barracks roomate/co-worker was there before me and gave some good reviews, I wasn't feeling the middle of no where. By the end of the first weekend I was loving it. Going to Tucson on weekends, the small town friendly atmosphere of Sierra Vista was awesome. Being we were TDY we had strict orders to avoid fraternizing with the students so unless we were hanging at the NCO club on base or eating at the chow hall, we rarely interacted with the military there. Tucson, Phoeniz, Las Vegas area and parts of TX are on my wish list of potential moves along with Raleigh area.

Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain. Without a doubt. I really love Amsterdam, but if I had the chance to go back I'd do it in a heartbeat. It has everything:

Nice climate
Locals are incredibly friendly
Lots of cultural highlights (arts/music/festivals)
Diverse nightlife (but a bit expensive)
Great restaurants
Good public transportation system
Good schools
FC Barcelona (but a lot of other great sports teams and events to attend as well)

Tough choice between Raleigh and Tampa.

Two very different cities but both were great places with lots of things of interest. I

I've been away from Raleigh for 22 years and miss it a lot and Tampa about 30 years. I've been back to both enough to keep up with the changes over the years.

There is no better place I can think of than RTP area for a college sports junkie. Fall afternoons in Chapel Hill are hard to beat. Pretty much year round golf and as Ron said beaches and mountains both within a few hours drive.

We came very close to moving there about 8 years ago, but that probably isn't in the cards at this point.

Tampa has the professional sports and great year round weather going for it. Plays some great shopping and dining and maybe one of the best airports in the country.

Anyplace but a city! I prefer the Midwest at least for 2.5 seasons. 7 golf courses within 15 miles. While they aren't world class tracks by any means 2 of them have bent grass greens, fairways and tee boxes. And for 20-30 bucks for a round you can't beat it. Give me the country and open spaces any day.

Tough choice between Raleigh and Tampa.

Two very different cities but both were great places with lots of things of interest. I

I've been away from Raleigh for 22 years and miss it a lot and Tampa about 30 years. I've been back to both enough to keep up with the changes over the years.

There is no better place I can think of than RTP area for a college sports junkie. Fall afternoons in Chapel Hill are hard to beat. Pretty much year round golf and as Ron said beaches and mountains both within a few hours drive.

We came very close to moving there about 8 years ago, but that probably isn't in the cards at this point.

Tampa has the professional sports and great year round weather going for it. Plays some great shopping and dining and maybe one of the best airports in the country.

I feel like I'm talking to myself. I think Raleigh is great for raising a family, and I will be retiring (if I ever get there) in Tampa.

I feel like I'm talking to myself. I think Raleigh is great for raising a family, and I will be retiring (if I ever get there) in Tampa.

I didn't have a family. But I agree with you 100% would have gladly raised kids in the area.

You will enjoy retiring to Tampa. I have several friends who have bought retirement homes there already and will be moving in the next year or two.

I've lived in Rota, Spain (3yrs), then moved to South Point, Ohio (13yrs), then to Morehead, Ky for college (4years), and finally ended up in Orlando, FL (22 years and counting). Absolutely love living in central florida, so much to do and still avoid the tourists.

Great question, but tough to answer!

I've been around but Texas has always seemed like home. I'm now living a mile from where I first lived in Humble, TX in 1982, and there's a lot to love and hate here.

Phoenix was definitely an awesome place to live and by far the best place I've ever lived for golf.

I've lived in Rota, Spain (3yrs), then moved to South Point, Ohio (13yrs), then to Morehead, Ky for college (4years), and finally ended up in Orlando, FL (22 years and counting). Absolutely love living in central florida, so much to do and still avoid the tourists.

I grew up playing Rio Pinar CC in Jr. High and High School in Orlando. Have you ever played there? The layout was fantastic!

I lived in Hawaii for about a year. Too bad I wasn't a golfer than; I know there are a lot beautiful courses.

Margate, NJ. back in the 60's & 70's. best party town ever, right on the Atlantic Ocean. I've been to a lot of places, none beat Margate. 10 drafts for a dollar back in the day, plus Lucy the Elephant.

I did a study abroad in Wollongong, Australia. I loved it there. Great weather, people were super-friendly, and we were living on the beach.

I was only there for 6 months but it was the most fun I've ever had.

Sonoma/San Fran is my absolute hands down favorite place - i love the relaxed bohemian feel. There always seemed to be something to see and do and the seasons changed enough to get the fall effect without the nasty winter.

Only 2 choices for me (Houston or Norman, OK), but I absolutely love Houston. People are usually incredibly nice and it has a "down home" feel for a massive city. It is a diverse city and the food is incredible. There is never a want for something to do as there are always things going on. Sure, the traffic sucks and the summers can be brutal, but there is just something about this place that I love.

I loved the Panama Canal Zone when I lived there as a kid.
As an adult, my current home in Liberty Lake, Washington is my all time favorite.
We are right in between the somewhat big city of Spokane and the redneck panhandle of Idaho.
4 seasons, lots of good golf courses very close with my favorite just down the street (and cheap too!), more than 50 lakes in a 100 mile radius, can drive my golf cart to the store if I want, little crime and friendly neighbors.
What more could a guy want?

Can I choose none as an option?

Only 2 choices for me (Houston or Norman, OK), but I absolutely love Houston. People are usually incredibly nice and it has a "down home" feel for a massive city. It is a diverse city and the food is incredible. There is never a want for something to do as there are always things going on. Sure, the traffic sucks and the summers can be brutal, but there is just something about this place that I love.

I agree. I've lived in a few spots domestically and internationally, but I love Houston. I guess I should say I love Texas & Houston is the only town I can call home. There are other great cities, Houston has a ton to offer across the spectrum & truly does have that down home feeling in a big city.

My current home in El Dorado Hills, CA is a great place to raise kids and has great weather for our outdoor lifestyle. It is one of the top 10 sunniest cities in the US but has a change of seasons. Golf is year round with average high temperatures dipping into the 50'S for only about 70 days of the year. As an avid skier I have 5 world class ski areas within 90 miles of my house so it's easy for me to go skiing for the day and be home for dinner. I tell my brother and sister who live in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I can get to the snow but don't have to shovel it!!
San Francisco is 90 miles the other direction so big city activities are close by for people like my wife who occasionally enjoy a trip to the city. The only thing I don't like about this area is the lack of water for boating and easy access to good fishing and hunting that I grew up with in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

My wife has lived in Pensacola, New York, Los Angeles, Hawaii, Minnesota, and Chicago and her favorite places are the gulf coast of Florida for winters and Northern Minnesota in the summers. With both of being lovers of boating and outdoor activities, our retirement goal is to winter in Naples, Florida and spend the summers in Northern Minnesota. We have a condo in Naples, Florida so our next goal is to find a lake home in the Brainerd Lakes area of northern Minnesota.

Back