Question about spin

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a shaft that is high launch. When I look at the shaft offerings I see I can also choose low spin, mid spin, high spin. Been reading online and it seems to be that as a low swing speed player (90-95 mph) I may need a higher spin shaft to help me keep the ball in the air. Will this higher spin also exacerbate my lateral ball flight, increasing my fade? The last thing I need is for the slice to return.

If you put the numbers into something like the flightscope trajectory optimizer, you'll see that the added spin will move the ball a bit more left to right given the same spin axis. But, there's a chance that the more spinny profile has you turning the ball over more.

I'm no expert but I believe that anytime you add spin you stand the chance of the ball going left or right depending on how square the club face is at impact. IMHO.

Overall, low to mid spin seems to generate the most distance for everyone except for the very short hitters. I think that, given your swing speed, you would want a mid - high launch, low spin driver shaft (I assume we are talking drivers?) to maximize roll. Keeping the ball in the fairway should be your #1 priority, and high spin driver shafts will exaggerate your lateral spin tendencies.
I could be wrong, but that info is what I have picked up during my fittings and discussions with DB from ProjectX

deuce- i think you and i might have similar action. i'm usually in the 95-100 range. launch is usually around 10-12*, spin usually in the high 1,000s to mid 2,000s. a carry of 240 is massive for me, more normally in the 220-230 range. but my stock swing doesn't have much movement to it one way or the other, so i'm ok to add some spin to get the ball in the air and keep it there. carry is king here in central florida, so every fitter i've ever been to has harped on finding a pairing that launches high and spins enough to stay there.

I think we need enough spin to create lift, in the vicinity of 3000 rpm. Too much spin and this will cause more drag than lift, too little spin and there will be not much lift to keep the ball in the air. Also too much spin will prevent the ball from rolling forward as it lands.

My SS is also in the 95 to 100 mph range, my loft is usually 9 to 9.5 degrees, stiff, light shaft longer than 45 inches.

My main problem is the launch is too high and too much spin. Part of the problem is the driver, and the other part is the tendency to pick the club up, rather than swinging around, as I get tired and the round wears on.

I made the investment of getting an M1 to address those issues, but I have to keep away from swing errors as well.

Back