Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Also wanted to share a potential concern of mine:

I use a stand bag and sometimes I feel grips grabbing on the way down to the bottom of the bag. I realize we are testing 3 grips so the issue may not be prevalent, but what about a set that had 13 of these? Would it be more challenging getting clubs in & out.
I have individual dividers that have a small opening at the top, do you think the size of these would fit through those openings?

Good start Sharky!! I am really intrigued by these grips. I really cannot wait to hear thoughts from the course.

I have individual dividers that have a small opening at the top, do you think the size of these would fit through those openings?

Yes, you wouldn't experience an issue in that aspect.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a non full length divider bag where these take up more space than normal compared to a standard grip.

Ogio Chamber would be an interesting test also.

any of you testers worried about mid round going from jumbo grip to regular grip? that would totally mess with my head
I am, actually. I think it would throw me off. I have a plan though.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a non full length divider bag where these take up more space than normal compared to a standard grip.

Sounds good, yeah I'd be curious with that base plate in the chamber how they would fit, I had a divider bag one time where any over size putter grip wouldn't fit.

That was my thought, a chamber or bennington quiet organizer or something would be interesting.

any of you testers worried about mid round going from jumbo grip to regular grip? that would totally mess with my head

I'm definitely a little concerned, but my winter golf isn't going to be a big deal anyways, a lot of practice and trying new things since everything will be saturated anyways. I don't plan on letting it faze me, just thinking of it as an experiment!

These look like the grip I have on my slow pitch softball bat more than a golf grip!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Wow those grips are huge! Nice initial thoughts Shark. Looking forward to hearing how they perform for each of you.

Great initial thoughts and pics Shark.

Will be keeping an eye in here to see what your thoughts are.

Great start. Looking foward to reading the feedback on these.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have come to the realization that I'm going to need to re-grip my clubs this off-season and ironically yesterday I saw an ad for JumboMax grips. I'm excited to see what you guys think of them!

Well unfortunately my day ended a little later than expected. When I arrived home I was welcomed by the sight of three packages awaiting for me on the kitchen table. I immediately bypassed the two packages and headed straight for the one labeled...Dominant Golf. Upon opening I was greeted by layers of bubble wrap protecting three JumboMax Large grips. You can usually tell something about a company that packages accordingly to protect their merchandise. Dominant Golf used two layers to protect three pieces of rubber. So in my mind they want to set forth respectability as a company. Nonetheless you are expecting a review of grips and not packaging.
9yhyvyse.jpg

Along with the grips we received a congratulatory letter from the vice president of JumboMax grips expressing his regards for being selected and testing their product.

Appearance:
At first glance these JumboMax grips appear immense and well designed. However, if you are looking for a flashy grip, these aren't the grips for you. These grips resemble the wrap grip style. Compared to my Pure DTX grips the thickness of the JumboMax is about double.

ere3e9eg.jpg

Feel:
Substance but light would be words used to describe the feel. For a grip of this size I would have expected them to be heavy. However the JumboMax Large grips only weigh 110 grams. So I don't expect there to be much of a difference weight wise.
tyru2u2e.jpg

I have never though of myself having large hands, but according to the grip chart that is what I was fitted for.

So I picked up the grip and laid it in my left palm. The comparison is incomparable to my current grips. The JumboMax grips take up a good majority of the palm, yet they do not feel awkward when gripped.
eqe7ujuq.jpg

I intend to install the grips on my driver, 8I, and 60 degree. It was recommended to install on a 7I, however I feel I just don't use that club enough to provide and accurate testing.

Closing remarks: At first I was skeptical how these grips would perform based on their immense size. As I have fondled these grips the last hour I see my initial impression changing. I am looking forward to the installation process tomorrow followed by my first range session Friday.

Last edited:
Great initial thoughts Hog and maynard! It's good to see that they fit the hands well - for some reason I pictured my hands barely fitting around them haha. Unfortunately I am still waiting - the UPS guy knocked on my door today but only to drop off a package for our neighbor who isn't home! :disapointed:

Introduction:
First off, let me thank JumboMax Grips and THP for providing me with this testing opportunity. Cant wait to dive in head first with this. The technology and design is something I really feel will benefit me. With that said, I never in a million years would have expected to put oversized Jumbo grips on anything other than a putter. I am currently a GHIN 16.3 HCP. I hit my driver pretty straight but with my all my irons I have a nagging fade. When I try to overcompensate, I tend to start pulling them. Around the greens when chipping, I sometimes get into the habit of using my wrists more than I want to and end up with the yips. When I received the PM about the testing, there was a link so that we could go measure our hands and figure out what size grips we should be testing:
20131016_211440_zpse1ae32aa.jpg

Pretty self explanatory diagram to use. Here is the picture of my chubby sausage fingered hand:
20131016_211505_zpsc1fb3975.jpg

Using this diagram, it was determined that I should be using the Medium sized grips, so that's what I requested.

Fast forward to today and the package arrived:

A letter from Dale Rehus, Vice President of JumboMax Golf Grips. (Notice the top of the letter..THP)
20131016_211124_zps2469cc32.jpg

4 strips of grip tape:
20131016_211203_zpseb53d8f9.jpg

Installation instructions:
20131016_211141_zpsa619d717.jpg

Initial Thoughts: Wow! These are huge. When you read JumboMax grips, you automatically think oversized putter grip (or at least I did). These things are even bigger than that. And, as SharkHat said in his initial review, they are stout. Upon holding the grip for the first time, my immediate thought what that of a baseball bat grip. Just so happened to have a bat laying around so I snapped a comparison photo:
20131016_212757_zpsbd2a0bfd.jpg

20131016_212815_zps92614aed.jpg

They feel really similar in both material but in size as well.

I also took comparison pics with an Iomic Putter grip (because I just had one sitting here):
20131016_211305_zps3079ad9c.jpg

20131016_211242_zpsdeefedfe.jpg

And a standard size grip:
20131016_211356_zps9fdb1464.jpg

20131016_211417_zpsb08a8d01.jpg

Here is a picture of the butt end of the grip as well:
20131016_212018_zps63a84ee9.jpg

Feel: I touched on a bit earlier in the previous section but they feel extremely stout. They really do feel an awful lot like a baseball bat grip. Despite the fact that they are stout in nature, they do have a softness to them and a nice amount of tackiness. I am really looking forward to getting these on my clubs so I can get a better feel for them when they are installed.

Plan of action: My immediate plan is to get these installed as soon as possibly. Probably not going to be until Friday as all my regripping stuff is at my parents house. I plan on putting these on my Driver, 6 iron and PW. My 6 iron and PW tend to get the most use during rounds so I wanted to make sure I really put these through their paces. As I said earlier, I have a nasty fade with my scoring irons so I hope these will improve upon that. I will be playing on Sunday as well as during the week next week so I will be able to get some significant, initial feedback. Season is winding down here in NJ but I will make sure that I get to the range as often as possible if I can't get on course.

Closing: Just wanted to thank THP and JumboMax again. I know sometimes these smaller testings get overlooked in favor of large equipment testings, but to me, these products are every bit as important and I will be reviewing them as such. If you have any questions, comments, concerns, I am always happy to answer them. Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Well done Ricky!

Only would a Jersey guy have a baseball bat "just laying around."

Nice write up Ricky. Not kidding about the size, it's very similar looking to a baseball grip.

Will be interesting to see how it performs for you!

PhillyV,
I am not to worried about it as I have regular sized grips on my driver and irons and midsize on my wedges. Honestly I cant even feel a difference. Will be interested to see if I notice with the size of these boys.

Came home today and there was a little treat for me waiting at my doorstep. Grips have arrived! As per the letter from Dave Rehus, VP if JumboMax, it is recommended to use the grips on a driver, mid iron, and scoring wedge. I have my stock driver shaft here sitting around that will get the new grip, my 7 iron, and my 50* AW.

ABOUT ME
I play regularly on weekends swapping between Bethpage and Heartland, a 9 hole par 3 course. I do regular range work and am currently in the middle of my PGA Tour Academy program. My driver, when straight, has recorded 260-270, 6I at 200, and PW 140. My driver gives me a lot of grief since I banana slice the hell out of it, yet my irons are high and straight.

INITIAL THOUGHTS
These things are huge. My hand measured out to their largest sized grips, XL, and they are freaking H U G E. It's giving my putter grip a run for the money :alien:. When I squeeze the grips I am getting great feedback and is very comfortable. You would not feel the shaft in these. Although not quite as catchy as some grips, the solid black look may be overshadowed by how well this will feel in my hands and throughout my swing.

COMPARISONS
I am replacing two different grips with the JumboMax. My stock driver shaft has a regular Winn DriTac red/black and my 7i and AW both have stock TM grips. As you can tell from the chart below, I am adding nearly a full inch in circumference where I grip my top hand
GRIP
1" DOWN
BOTTOM
DRITAC/STOCK
3 1/2"
3 1/16"
2 3/8"
JUMBOMAX XL
4 1/2
4"
3 1/8"

7d9878eb-1a70-479e-86e9-ddc396f95dff_zpsb00045d5.jpg
33261938-03a2-4aac-9eda-6266d586a462_zps9d4020e0.jpg
9af5d5b8-5e8e-445b-b7a8-563552800760_zpsd424a296.jpg

I currently do not have any solvent so I will be making a trip down to GolfSmith Saturday to pick up a bottle and possibly some other items. Go in to get one thing, come out with ten. Once I finally get the grips on, I will post my comments and results before I head off to play a round.

Thanks for all the initial pictures and thoughts guys. I look forward to following along with your process during testing. Even though I have big hands, I've struggled with experiments with oversized and even midsize grips with consistancy in the past.

Shark: fantastic start buddy!!

With 3 grips provided it makes it easy to determine what they will be installed on per their recommendation.

I like that you used the word "stout" to describe these. They definitely give you sense that you have more control than normal and also IMO the sense that you can "swing for the fences" due to the grip being so large in your hand (think baseball bat).

I'm a lover of the air install and I'm going to try it on mine. Honestly not sure what to expect. If I happen to ruin one, I will order a replacement...no biggie.

I have the driver and 54* wedge that they will go on now but am awaiting some irons to arrive before I do the mid iron install.

Excited to hit the range with these this weekend!

They do work with air--just a bit more effort than regular style grips on air. I still have a full set of these I used the first year I was learning to really play (2.5 years ago)--curious to see how this goes for you all. I was such a newby playing them back then I did not have any solid foundation on my grip or even alignment--so I gave up on them pretty quick as I was using them in combo with a right hand powered baseball grip swing--changed my swing style with an instructor and had put these aside. Will love to see how they work for the testers--I would possibly consider trying it on the Driver again as that is my weakest club.

In addition to the huge size for loose grip, I think a big reason they help many is the counterbalance weight just like secret grips do--they are heavy.

I just moved off the Chamber, but still have it. Now have the Bennington Icon-- I will pop one of the old jumbo max grips on and test it when I am get back Friday, but My thought is the chamber would wear them down--it tore into dry-tacs when I had them. Also I think they would not lock in to the bottom--had a putter grip that would not lock, so they would set just on top of it.

When I used the full set a couple years back I had the Callaway 14 way and they all fit.

Here is a picture of the butt end of the grip as well:
20131016_212018_zps63a84ee9.jpg

I am interested as to the lettering on the butt end of the grip. After seeing DevRicus review I recalled having a different lettering convention. My inclination is to think size related. After researching I have not found any data at this time.

Here is an image of the lettering on butt end:
ve3adede.jpg

The letters on the butt are the size. I have a few friends that have these grips on their clubs and they love them.

The letters on the butt are the size. I have a few friends that have these grips on their clubs and they love them.

Makes sense now...if SM is small I'd like to see how huge the LG are.

Whew I sized fitted to the LG, but in the letter states we may not receive the size we were fitted to.

Back