Rain has got me thinking

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Fixed! Thanks!

Unlike a few of my buddies, I don't have an issue playing in the rain. Living in LA it's not a common occurrence (but I travel a lot too, so I do encounter it.)

I've never been out in anything terribly crazy, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

So I was wondering what is your cut off? How much is too much in terms of bad weather? What will keep you off the course, or send you home mid round?

Last edited:
A huge down pour usually will get me to wrap it up. Lightening anytime ends it for me.

Lightning will always get me off the course quick. I've waited out a few storms if I have my phone and the weather app shows that it will pass quickly. Other than that, a course ranger is about the only thing that will get me off the course. I'd rather play in heavy rain than blazing heat any day. I've actually shot some very good scores in wet conditions, with good all weather gloves and good protection for my bag.

Fixed! Thanks!

Unlike a few of my buddies, I don't have an issue playing in the rain. Living in LA it's not a common occurrence (but I travel a lot too, so I do encounter it.)

I've never been out in anything terribly crazy, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

So I was wondering what is your cut off? How much is too much in terms of bad weather? What will keep you off the course, or send you home mid round?
Remember the minister in Caddyshack? But for the lightning that's me.

I can handle rain but combine it with wind and that's it, I'm done for the day.

Visible lightning goes without saying (or at least it should), but for me it's simple. If I'm on the course and rain starts, I'm good to go unless I start getting cold (wet doesn't bother me, and it takes a lot for me to get truly cold). If I"m at home and deciding if I'm going to go, a light shower (with nothing heavy on the radar) won't stop me, but if I'm likely to be soaked before I start, I'll probably sit it out.

Light rain - OK, depends on temperature
Showers - OK
Solid soaking rain - Not OK

Lightning makes me run like lightning. Got trapped by a thunderstorm cell than came up over the riverbank while playing a course in the valley. Sitting in a tin shed on the back end of the front nine while the rain thunders down and the lightning cracks with your buddy wondering when the lightning is going to hit is not much fun.

I can handle rain but combine it with wind and that's it, I'm done for the day.

Agree with this one. Also, anything sub 40 is just too cold.

For me it's all about temperature. I'll play in a downpour as long as there is no lightning...but once it drops below 40 degrees, I'M OUT.

I don't like playing in rain. If it's forecast to be steady all round, I'll skip the round. If it happens during the round, it depends on how much and how cold it gets. Like most, lightning sends me to the clubhouse.

Definitely not keen on lightning but I will play in rain, im not keen on it but if it happens while im playing ill carry on unless its to much and starts pooling on the greens.

Since it never rains in Oregon :laughing:, I am fortunate not to have to deal with this difficult playing condition. For real though, winter golf in Oregon is all about handling the wet stuff. I find it just a series of small adjustments that can still lead to an enjoyable round.

It rains all the time in Wales, you get immune to it after a while. Like someone said earlier, I'd much rather play in rain than searing heat, can't handle being cooked!

Being here in the UK, rain is something that you get used to pretty quickly..... I am not a fan of playing in the rain, but if something has been organised and paid for, then I will put up with it. I wouldn't plan a round for sometime over the next few days if the forecast was horrible, but if it has been organised quite some time in advance then the weather is a chance you take

I played in a golf day a couple years ago in June, so you would expect decent enough weather, where it poured down almost all of the round and we were very surprised that the course was open when we got to the first green....about a quarter of it was covered in standing water! Needless to say it was not the most enjoyable round and the scoring wasn't very good either

I have never been on a course when lightening has started, but I wouldn't be hanging around if it did start

I don't have a problem with the cold, as long as the rain isn't turning into heavy sheets of ice. I'm happy to throw on some Under Armor Cold Gear and finish out the day.
I can never seem to keep warm without restricting my swing, or throwing my whole feel off. Too many layers and bad fundamentals lead to that first thinned iron that sends a shock through my arms into my brain...and I'm not having fun anymore.

Absolutely hate the rain when playing. The passing shower or two or the misty sort of day I can put up with. Any substancial rains that dont let up and I want out. Wet gloves ,clubs, clothes, soggy fairways, soaked greens, all of it, its just not enjoyable golf and if i cant enjoy it then why play.

However conversly I do like getting to the course after rains and getting right out .lol . or knowing its only going to be a passing shower here and there (what i can put up with) also allows for fairly empty course too.

I've played briefly in some downpours, though never started a round that way. It sucks, but so does not golfing, so I'll try to stick it out unless it's just over the top and there's standing water on the greens or something. I'll usually try to wait it out.

Living out here on the Wet Coast you learn to deal with the rain if you want to play in the late winter/spring/early summer. The temperature is a factor because as soon as the snow starts to pile up it's game over, but I'll play in the blowing rain right down to 2 or 3 degrees Celcius assuming I am properly prepared.

One of my favorite rounds ever I was playing by myself, it was snowing but not quite sticking and piling up, and I felt like I was the only person on the planet that day. Just so quiet and peaceful and the course looks so beautiful with a dusting of snow on it.

Rain mixed with cold temps and I won't play.

A shower that will only last about 30 minutes will get me to park under a tree with other golfers and have a drink. If I can't be parked under that tree without getting wet, then it's time to go home.

~Rock

Back