The details of your fitting.

kmanc

Legend in my own mind
Reaction score
Handicap
my age
Hi. There are a lot of conversations about Club Fittings.
My question for you, concerning irons.
How much time did you spend getting fit?
Did your fitter talk to you about fitting for sole design based on your swing characteristic?
Did you have a specific golf grip fitting?
And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights?
Just curious. Thanks.

1. An hour fitting just irons
2. Not sole design, but overall club head design.
3. It was part of the iron fitting.
4. Yes, but this was using different weight shafts.

I wanted JPX 800 Pros. They used the Mizuno Swing DNA system to fit me. Measured me, I swung the unit, it spit out suggestions. We ordered them. Took 20-30 minutes.

1. An hour fitting just irons
2. Not sole design, but overall club head design.
3. It was part of the iron fitting.
4. Yes, but this was using different weight shafts.
was your swing weight fitted independently of shaft weight? Or was this not discussed?

I wanted JPX 800 Pros. They used the Mizuno Swing DNA system to fit me. Measured me, I swung the unit, it spit out suggestions. We ordered them. Took 20-30 minutes.
how happy are with the results?

how happy are with the results?

Happy - considering my swing was different then. I think I'm due for a change, however. We'll see how the TM TP CBs work out with KBS Tours...

was your swing weight fitted independently of shaft weight? Or was this not discussed?

We had talked about it, since I prefer a heavier club head. He gave me the option of trying some weight at the bottom of the shaft to change the swing weight on the lighter heads, but ultimately we just swapped heads and shafts until we found what gave the best feel while giving the numbers I wanted from the launch monitor. My fitter has built every iron and wedge in my bag so that I get the same feel from the 3i (when I play it) all the way to my 62° wedge.

Ok. Thanks. So your fitter/builder ordered Callaway clubs, pulled the shafts, then rebuilt the clubs with your shaft and specs?
That is the way it is suppose to be. Nice job to your fitter/builder.

Ok. Thanks. So your fitter/builder ordered Callaway clubs, pulled the shafts, then rebuilt the clubs with your shaft and specs?
That is the way it is suppose to be. Nice job to your fitter/builder.

That's pretty much what happened. He pulled the stock TT shafts, and rebuilt them with KBS so that they all play to the exact same flex and swing weight. He also check the loft and lie of each club.

Funny thing is, I happened to find him purely on accident. The only reason I ever stepped foot into his shop was because when I called Mizuno wondering when one of the few lefty swing optimizer would be in my area they told me that the shop 2 miles from my house happened to already have it. I'm due for a new set of irons and wedges this spring, so there is no doubt in my mind where I'll be going.

- A little over an hour.

Did your fitter talk to you about fitting for sole design based on your swing characteristic?

- We did. I forget the specifics, but he told me that the i20s have a specific grind on the leading edge that helps a little with fat shots.

- Not a specific grip, but he measured my hands for the appropriate grip size.

And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights?

- We did not. To be honest, I hit the i20s so well he was hesitant to mess with it.

How much time did you spend getting fit? - I was not fit by a fitter for my irons. I used impact tape and examined ball flight to determine lie angle.

Did your fitter talk to you about fitting for sole design based on your swing characteristic? I don't know why this would matter, I try not to hit the ball with the sole of the club

Did you have a specific golf grip fitting? Yes, I was fit for my grip size. It is greatly overlooked IMO, and very easy and quick to do.

And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights? Swing weight is overrated IMO. It was not a concern.

How much time did you spend getting fit? - I was not fit by a fitter for my irons. I used impact tape and examined ball flight to determine lie angle.

Did your fitter talk to you about fitting for sole design based on your swing characteristic? I don't know why this would matter, I try not to hit the ball with the sole of the club

Did you have a specific golf grip fitting? Yes, I was fit for my grip size. It is greatly overlooked IMO, and very easy and quick to do.

And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights? Swing weight is overrated IMO. It was not a concern.
thanks for your reply

I forgot to ask. Do you do fittings and/or build golf clubs?
Thanks again

I have been fit before, I know what to look for. I do not build persay. But get everything together in what I want in my clubs. I tend to go into a fitting with specific equipment in mind. IE driver head, iron head, and I try to find a pairing that will make them work. I know that probably isn't the best way for a mediocre amateur talent like me, to go about doing things. But it is what it is.

We spent an hr on just irons and then a few minutes with the driver too see if my numbers changed

No it isn't really a concern for me except wedges

I did and I fit a regular to a regular with an extra wrap or two

And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights? not really this time, but my first time we played with shaft weight and I don't like light shafts in general

We spent an hr on just irons and then a few minutes with the driver too see if my numbers changed

No it isn't really a concern for me except wedges

I did and I fit a regular to a regular with an extra wrap or two

And did your fitter test, by changing swing weights? not really this time, but my first time we played with shaft weight and I don't like light shafts in general
Thanks. Just a quick question. What do you mean by light shafts in regard to swing weight?

Thanks. Just a quick question. What do you mean by light shafts in regard to swing weight?

There might be some confusion in regards to what swing weight and club weight are, and the differences. But a lighter shaft will affect swing weight.

There might be some confusion in regards to what swing weight and club weight are, and the differences. But a lighter shaft will affect swing weight.
Hi. With all due respect. No it doesn't.
A i80 Steelfiber shaft swing weight 3 points heavier than a KBS c-taper. A75 gram True Temper shaft GS 75 swing weights 2 points lighter than a KBS tour 90.
The total weight of a shaft, is independent of swing weight. The shaft design characteristics determine swing weight.
This is why Aerotech and KBS have become so successful. Because people like Kim Braly know this and design his shafts based on this.

A i80 Steelfiber shaft swing weight 3 points heavier than a KBS c-taper. A75 gram True Temper shaft GS 75 swing weights 2 points lighter than a KBS tour 90.
The total weight of a shaft, is independent of swing weight. The shaft design characteristics determine swing weight.
This is why Aerotech and KBS have become so successful. Because people like Kim Braly know this and design his shafts based on this.

I bet if I put a Matrix Xcon 10 into my driver, the balance point changes. Shaft weight will affect how the club feels through out the swing. Maybe not the shaft weight specifically, but how the feels in the swing.

I bet if I put a Matrix Xcon 10 into my driver, the balance point changes. Shaft weight will affect how the club feels through out the swing. Maybe not the shaft weight specifically, but how the feels in the swing.
Okay. Your point being?

Okay. Your point being?

Some people don't like light or heavy shafts because of how they make the club feel during the swing. It's a comfort issue for some, not just performance.

Can you expand a little, just for my knowledge?

Reason being is that I'm testing the AP1's with 120g KBS Tours. They feel heavier (in totality) than the stock set up, but swing weight isn't nearly as affected as I thought it might be.

Hi. You made the statement " a lighter shaft will affect swing weight".
I am asking you to expand on this comment. I.e. Does lighter total weight mean lighter swing weight or heavier swing weight.

I loose the feel of the club with Lighter shaft- where its at in the swing

I've never adjusted the swing weight of any club I've played but when a club feel light I tend to get fast with it and wildly inconsistent.

Hi. You made the statement " a lighter shaft will affect swing weight".
I am asking you to expand on this comment. I.e. Does lighter total weight mean lighter swing weight or heavier swing weight.

When I say "affect", I mean in either direction. The shaft weight will change how the club feels during the swing. Maybe more head heavy, maybe more grip heavy. Either way, it's still affected.

Back