Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
THP UK Summer Cup

Sunday July 6th - 'Late tee off' - 15:10 on the Mathern Course
Sunday July 6th - Dinner
Monday July 7th - Breakfast
Monday July 7th - 'Early tee off' - 0852 on the Championship Course

With a fair wind - all groups should be finished - scores totted up and prizes presented by 1500.

The venue is the Marriott St Pierre in Chepstow - (that's in Wales you know...)

At the time of posting, 17 hardy souls will battle it out for the coveted UK - THP Cup.

This year, your Champion, El Bandito returns to defend his title from a field of Cup veterans and new faces.

This year the field contains 1 Dane and 2 Swedes keen to plunder the cup and take it across the water. For the first time - a woman is competing for the cup - a development universally approved!

This thread will be used for competition information, banter and general mickey-taking. Please remember that this is a family show - and that large parts of the USA - where this forum is based - are allergic to gambling - so any side bets keep off the thread please! I will reserve the second post for important updates and team info...

Match Format

The Cup is fought for over 36 holes. The competition is singles Stableford, full handicap. Handicaps are taken on trust. This is a bit of fun! Gents will play from the tees of the day. Ladies from the ladies tee. To avoid any misunderstandings - we will play according to the rules of golf. No gimmes please. There is one Local Rule in Play - that mobile phones may be used as DMD (and hopefully for live scoring)

On Day 1 - Competitors will play in their drawn team. (More on the team later). On Day 2 - groups will go out in reverse order, with the leader taking the final tee shot. The highest combined score over the two days will be the Champion - and assuming they can catch the fleeing Bandito - will become the custodian on the hallowed Cup - until it is competed for again.

Day 1 is also a team competition. Each group will be given a sleeve of marked yellow balls. One player will play the yellow ball on each hole - contributing to the Yellow Ball score. In a 4 ball - each player must play the yellow ball at least 4 times. In a three ball each player must play the yellow ball 6 times. The other two yellow balls are kept by the captain of the team. Given the extremely high standard of the players on this trip, I am sure that these balls will be unnecessary. However - if a yellow ball is lost, 10 stableford points are deducted from the team score- and the team must put another ball in play. The team competition will be won by the team with the highest net stableford score on the yellow ball.

If the above seems complicated - don't worry, its not! It's just my explanation skills are no good!

On both days there will be a nearest the pin challenge and a longest drive challenge. There will prizes for best individual scores on both days in addition to the main event.

After dinner of the first evening, there is an import from Rugby. That is, the Kangaroo Court. The court is presided over by the "Wise Old Golfers" - made up of people that have attended every single Cup. You may find yourself co-opted into a role in the court - as Prosecutor, or Defender. Generally, the Accused defends themselves - however if they happen to be a non-drinker - a proxy comes in very handy.

The Judge is a Wise Old Golfer. The Jury is made up of Wise Old Golfers. The word of the Judge is the TRUTH. It is undebatable. Questioning the Judge almost invariably results in Contempt of Court charges. You have been warned.

Should anyone be found guilty of an offence, and believe me - you will be; you will receive an instant sentence of a livening shot. A sharpener as we like to call it. You will, immediately, without question, down this. (Unless you had defence counsel - who will do it for you)

A few pointers for you...
1. There is only one player at this event that has attended every Cup:laughing:
2. Almost invariably the non drinkers choose the overnight leader to be defence counsel.
3. The overnight leader almost invariably has committed several offences in the course of becoming overnight leader

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Last edited:
Reserved for Team News

Teams Now Complete

1. The Swedette, Shark St Moritz, BigMacclarron, Ice (Rob)
2. The Doctor, Canny Carl, John 'El Jefe'
3. Will_I_Dream, No Nickname Nick, Baileys (Martin)
4. Strawboater, Mizuno Blue, Almdudler, El B
5. The Dane, Preston Preston, Sam 'The Outfit'

Last edited:
Reserved for Team News

The first task is to select the 5 team captains for the Yellow Ball competition. In true THP style, these will be revealed one by one....

Once the teams are selected, each team will need to name itself...final decision to be the Captains....

Captains

1. The Swedette
2. The Doctor

2 Captains now...

hello? Anyone out there? The banter is not exactly witty repartie! Post away!

We are here eagerly waiting for the rest of the captains!

Seems like team 1 will be ruled by an ironfist and team 2 has got a captain that are known for " to be pin high on a 177yd par 3" with a seven iron.. :bananadance:

Solid choices so far but hope that this post won´t get me on the shortlist for any captain position.. :bulgy-eyes: There's enough with one "swinglish-speaking" captain! :alien2:

I probably shouldn't say this, but you might want to check a couple of the other threads for some results from my round today.....needless to say, if I keep up the form I had today on the course I am expecting a considerable handicap cut.....this was the first of the three rounds required for submission to get my official handicap and it happened to be an okay-ish round :D

Getting back to the competition - as a captain of one of the teams I will have high expectations for those who will be joining me, but at the same time, I expect each and every one of you to enjoy the 2 days and have fun!!!!!

I probably shouldn't say this, but you might want to check a couple of the other threads for some results from my round today.....needless to say, if I keep up the form I had today on the course I am expecting a considerable handicap cut.....this was the first of the three rounds required for submission to get my official handicap and it happened to be an okay-ish round :D

Getting back to the competition - as a captain of one of the teams I will have high expectations for those who will be joining me, but at the same time, I expect each and every one of you to enjoy the 2 days and have fun!!!!!

Doc, I will go searching, but don't be shy! I have seen you play, so I have a decent idea where you should be handicap wise! It's great that you are getting a formal handicap in place, it's the best way to measure progress. I'm sure you will make a great Skip!

ill still beat you though...:egyptian::egyptian:

Ok, shot an 81 today with the new Classic XL driver and putter both working pretty well :D

Looking forward to the responsibilities of being a skip, should be good fun

Ok, shot an 81 today with the new Classic XL driver and putter both working pretty well :D

Oh, I was two shots behind you today.. Now you've set up targets for me! The hunt is on! ;) Haha

Nice played!

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

Nice work! And from you Linus! Two tasty scores. First post updated, final skip to come tonight.

All Captains named...told you Scott was wobbling!

Wow, what an honour to be named as a captain at my first THP event. The yellow ball comp is always great fun and whenever I have played it before each player has come away with at least one fun story to tell from their time with the ball. I just look forward to being able to share those experiences with my team on the course, in the bar and on the forum.

Oh no, what are you doing to me ha ha

I apologize now to our team members for several bad swings and multiple ball searching escapades. The Doc will be able to confirm that for some reason my swing during the last yellow ball comp was seriously trying to lose that ball. I obviously take no responsibility, it was the swing that did it.

Potential Team names which have sprung to mind so far are "Mav's Marauders" or "Honest, I play off 24"

Not to add any pressure, but I can confirm that the yellow ball golf swing was 'interesting' :D

Despite this, we still managed not to lost it due to some eagle vision from the rest of our team that day, so good luck to the rest of the team

Oh no, what are you doing to me ha ha

I apologize now to our team members for several bad swings and multiple ball searching escapades. The Doc will be able to confirm that for some reason my swing during the last yellow ball comp was seriously trying to lose that ball. I obviously take no responsibility, it was the swing that did it.

Potential Team names which have sprung to mind so far are "Mav's Marauders" or "Honest, I play off 24"

Team names may be the most important preparation there is! The other team captains should take notice! :blob:

My team will each have an input into our name so until the team's are sorted I am not posting ideas yet :D

My team will each have an input into our name so until the team's are sorted I am not posting ideas yet :D

Of course, it's a long process to be the best named team! :clap:

Second Team members added...

I'll have to get a strokesaver or similar and work out a strategy to compensate for my likely swing issues on the day ha ha
Another team name for my consideration, "Stu's Love Children"

Welcome aboard Carl, in the spirit of the event you are hereby commissioned as vice captain :D

Second Team members added...

Oh my god the nerves are killing me! Where will I be? Who will have to hear me ponder what yards are in meters every shot!? :clap:
I'm like a child waiting for the santa right now..

UK Summer Cup 2014 - Details

Mizuno Blue! Welcome aboard. :)

(Btw Stu, I am a man of Kent, now living in Warwick.)

Cheers :thumb:

So your in Warwick, I'm in Cov playing at Kenilworth.

Man of Kent?

That makes you a French immigrant then?:D

Hackers - your teams are complete. Let naming begin!

Those whom have sent money - thank you!

Hackers - your teams are complete. Let naming begin!

Those whom have sent money - thank you!

Did you get the deposits from me Stu?

Back