I Have A Confession - Golf Balls & Putting

I hate to be that guy. Controlled enviroment bouncing the ball in a living room near hard floors and walls is 1 million percent different than a single stroke outdoors where factors are uncontrollable. No way I can tell a difference and I test them daily.

I noticed it on the course first. I have very sensitive hearing. Did it make a different in performance? Probably not - but it was a clear difference in sound for me.

I can't tell the difference.

I noticed it on the course first. I have very sensitive hearing. Did it make a different in performance? Probably not - but it was a clear difference in sound for me.

I'm with you jlukes, I can tell the difference on the course as well. Nice video though, cool to hear!

I can tell a sound difference, but that's it. They all perform the same to me on the green, which is what matters.

Not sure my stroke is consistent enough to notice a difference in performance.

I think I have heard a difference, but it has never been a blind test so that could all be in my head. Or not.

When it comes to performance I think putting performance is the least of my concerns.

A sound difference can be a big difference though. If you can actually hear a difference, it may throw you off. If you feel more comfortable with a more muted sound off the putter face, then mentally you will putt more confidently with a ball that gives you that reaction. Golf is so insanely mental of a game, I think it's definitely possible that the sound of the ball off of a putter can make a big difference to some. I'll include myself in that category.

I'm with JB on this one. I can tell the difference in the weather (colder - balls feel harder). But other than that, I personally can't tell the difference on the green.

It's not very accurate but I think the sound feedback is part of the feel that helps me determine the force of the stoke. That is typically what, I think, I'm doing on the practice green before each round. Obviously, you are looking for the green speed but also the feel which, for me, has an audible content to it.

The only thing I notice is if the ball goes in the hole or not. If it doesn't then I'm using the wrong ball. If it does then it's the right one. I go through a lot of golf balls.

Maybe we all need to put ear plugs and putt. Try different balls with no sound. I bet that we won't know the difference.

I have been practicing a lot of putting indoors, and I absolutely notice a feel and sound difference between urethane and surlyn covers, as well as how they feel coming off of a putter face.
Although that information is fine when practicing, on the course, I cannot tell the difference as far as putting performance is concerned. I miss with all types of balls.

The only difference i can say i have seen putting is the sound off of the putter. And i can see it having to do also with different putters as i use milled and insert putters. But as far as performance, well i am not anywheres near good enough putter to say i could ever see a performance difference.

Right about the time the Chrome + came out, I was playing Chromes. Another THPer actually sent me some chrome + to try when I had a chance. I put them in my bag and honestly forgot I had them. I proceeded to lose a ball in the drink, so I had to drop and hit a new ball. I hit a decent shot out of the rough and ended up on the green. I was on the other side of the hole in no ones line, so I didn't mark my ball. I had been actually putting really well, and this was on the tough greens at The Links Of Gettysburg. I had a 4' foot putt, pretty flat, and I hit it a good 3 feet past the cup. It definitely sounded different, and it felt like it exploded off the club face. I remember looking up at my friend with a "wth" expression and him bursting out laughing. When I picked it up to mark it, it was a chrome +. I played it for the next few holes ( it sounded different off the tee as well for sure, at least to me ) as I was now intrigued. To me, it was definitely hotter off the putter for me. Now, I understand that after the first putt, the data is skewed because I was aware of the ball, and that could have an influence on what happened afterwards. I know it's just anecdotal, but it was my experience. Honestly before that, I would tell you that balls sounded different when putting to me, but I couldn't really notice different performance.

In the old days, you could tell the difference between Balata and Suryln. Now, the only ball I've felt a difference with, and it WAS dramatic, is the Callaway Super Soft.

I'm with JB on this one. I can tell the difference in the weather (colder - balls feel harder). But other than that, I personally can't tell the difference on the green.

The only thing I notice is if the ball goes in the hole or not. If it doesn't then I'm using the wrong ball. If it does then it's the right one. I go through a lot of golf balls.

Maybe I am not as crazy as it appears based on the early responses.

I hate to be that guy. Controlled enviroment bouncing the ball in a living room near hard floors and walls is 1 million percent different than a single stroke outdoors where factors are uncontrollable. No way I can tell a difference and I test them daily.

Hey now you said Scientifcally to me earlier. Now a controlled experiment wont work? Me think you are back tracking haha.

I think the insert obviously makes a bigger difference.

With that said, I think there would be an audible difference between on old Top Flite or Pinnacle ball vs. a softer "premium" ball. Doubt there would be any differences in performance unless you had a putter taking full swings on Iron Byron.

I putt in my basement with a lot of different balls, and can't tell a difference. Only ball I've ever noticed a difference on and that's the Wilson duo which is much quieter sounding than any other ball I've rolled. That being said, it still putts the same.

If I were to close my eyes and listen very closely I could tell the difference from a nike 20xix and a pro v1, but putting out on the course I would never notice a difference at all.

I think the insert obviously makes a bigger difference.

With that said, I think there would be an audible difference between on old Top Flite or Pinnacle ball vs. a softer "premium" ball. Doubt there would be any differences in performance unless you had a putter taking full swings on Iron Byron.

My buddy that I golf with regularly, uses Pinnacle balls and he's a great putter. I never seen hit putt more than 30 a round. I highly doubt that his putt numbers will go down if he uses "premium" balls.

Beats me. I think I can feel/hear a difference between a Pinnacle and a Duo. Is there a measureable difference in results?
The Duo seems more...muted, perhaps. I prefer that, so I'd rather putt with it. Some sort of blind or mechanical testing could answer this, but it's putting.
If I think I like putting a softer ball more, then I probably putt better with it. Maybe I should get the exact same feedback with a harder ball, but my hindbrain doesn't agree.

I have noticed sound differences between balls, but does it matter when it comes to the putt? Well it may, if the person is thinking that click sound is a hard ball which will shoot off the face in impact then mentally they probably struggle to get the speed because they support mentally fear smashing it. In the mental game of putting there may be a big difference in balls due to sound and feel. Now, in the actual performance of these balls there may be no difference but we are just head cases about it I don't know but I 'feel' like I kind of get both sides here.

My buddy that I golf with regularly, uses Pinnacle balls and he's a great putter. I never seen hit putt more than 30 a round. I highly doubt that his putt numbers will go down if he uses "premium" balls.

I agree with that. I do think there would be an audible difference though, not a performance difference (clicky verses a more muted sound).

I am in the same boat. In my experience with testing out golf balls, I have seen a difference in spin (with wedges and driver) and flight, but if you put 10 different models down and asked me to put them blind, I couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

I agree with that. I do think there would be an audible difference though, not a performance difference (clicky verses a more muted sound).

It makes me think if sound is overrated...?
Same goes for clubs IMO. I despise the sound that my 915 make but that didn't hinder me from spending a lot of money on it. It performs well. That's all it mattered to me.

Back