What tee height do you like/recommend with the Taylormade R1?

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, did a search and nothing came up regarding this topic, I'm interested to know where the sweet spot on the club is so that I can optimize my drives and get my tee height working with that too...

Right now I use the Blue Pride tees, 3.25"...

http://www.pridegolftee.com/index.php?s=ptswood

The driver is only a few weeks old for me, and I am new to these tee's as well, so the ball is tee'd up higher than I was used to with my Titleist. My buddy commented on noticing the pro's seem to be teeing lower lately and I noticed Spieth up close was teeing low as well.

One thought I had was that in my next round I could try different tee heights on each shot with the driver and use my skycaddie to figure out how far they went.

Any feedback from current gamers of the R1 is appreciated!

Cheers

when I was at an R1 fitting with Taylormade, the rep explained that their drivers are designed to have the entire ball teed up above the face of the driver, it was uncomfortably high but that was their recommendation

what driver do you have? This will help others give you advice based on the characteristics of it.

I personally tee it lower than most I've played with. My tee is about half to 3/4 of a ball off the ground. This works for me and my swing, producing a boring mid flight trajectory.

My advice is to it the rage and see what works best for you and your swing.

That is really high hey? I was thinking of going down but maybe up is better for this club... And it's interesting how the Pride brand is labelling their tee models, the one recommended for 400cc or bigger drivers is huge! Obviously they generalize a bit but I will experiment and report! Thanks Mr. Satchmo!

I tee mine up 1/4 to 1/2 the ball over the club head. I use 2.75" tees. works pretty well for me. I find that if I tee it up any higher I hit "skyballs" like crazy

That club was really good higher on the face. Not sky ball range of course. Just above center was where I got the most out of it. Low face strikes weren't so kind.

I would have to agree with Hawk. When I got a chance to hit this club on a monitor, the higher it was off the face, the better then numbers ended up being. I wouldn't tee the ball TOTALLY above the face, but around a 1/4 of the ball with an upward attack angle worked really well for me.

I use a bunch of tees that all have a height lines (Blue Pride, Epoch), and even then I tee the ball so that 1/2 of it is above the top line of the driver face at address. I don't even pay attention to the lines anymore.

Hey guys, did a search and nothing came up regarding this topic, I'm interested to know where the sweet spot on the club is so that I can optimize my drives and get my tee height working with that too...

Right now I use the Blue Pride tees, 3.25"...

http://www.pridegolftee.com/index.php?s=ptswood

The driver is only a few weeks old for me, and I am new to these tee's as well, so the ball is tee'd up higher than I was used to with my Titleist. My buddy commented on noticing the pro's seem to be teeing lower lately and I noticed Spieth up close was teeing low as well.

One thought I had was that in my next round I could try different tee heights on each shot with the driver and use my skycaddie to figure out how far they went.

Any feedback from current gamers of the R1 is appreciated!

Cheers

hi. Go to the driving range, use a sharpie and mark a spot on the ball. Tee the ball and hit the mark. Look at the face of the driver and see where the mark is on the face. Hit 30 or 40 golf balls and play with tee height.
If you tee to low, it will cause you to have a change in angle of attack, and ball flight will suffer. You will know.
Center of club face. That is how tall to tee the ball. You need to warm up and then hit enough golf balls so you have an average.

That is really high hey? I was thinking of going down but maybe up is better for this club... And it's interesting how the Pride brand is labelling their tee models, the one recommended for 400cc or bigger drivers is huge! Obviously they generalize a bit but I will experiment and report! Thanks Mr. Satchmo!

No problem, I personally play the r11 and I always got great results from teeing half the ball above the crown of the driver, I use the champ golf tees and I believe it's at the second red mark in length. The whole ball above the driver crown was too much for me

What tee height do you like/recommend with the Taylormade R1?

Agree with Hawk and Agent Jay here. Slightly higher of center has given the best results for me. Anything on upper half is a much more forgiving miss than the low side. A high toe miss, other than feel and sound, can hardly be characterized a miss based on the distance and accuracy it still provides.

Play around with height for yourself, but I believe you'll see it come alive when you contact it a little high of center.

Agree with Hawk and Agent Jay here. Slightly higher of center has given the best results for me. Anything on too half is a much more forgiving miss that the low side. A high toe miss, other than feel and sound, can hardly be characterized a miss based on the distance and accuracy it still provides.

Play around with height for yourself, but I believe you'll see it come alive when you contact it a little high of center.

Agree 100% and saw it over and over on the LM.

when I was at an R1 fitting with Taylormade, the rep explained that their drivers are designed to have the entire ball teed up above the face of the driver, it was uncomfortably high but that was their recommendation

If i did that i would have a crap top of sky-ball scrapes. I try to have between 1/2 and 3/4ths of the ball above the crown.

If i did that i would have a crap top of sky-ball scrapes. I try to have between 1/2 and 3/4ths of the ball above the crown.

Yeah that's what I was saying, their explanation was that it forces you to hit up on the ball and that the sweet spot is high on the face. I just work on getting a shallower angle of attack on my downswing

I too use the r1. Im not sure what name tees I use, they are long and cheap. Do to my swing path/length anf the fact that I do not posess the ability to swing without a little extra I tee the ball 3/4 above the top of the grounded club. I also play the ball about at the front of left foot(rh) ..about the third toe. I have had great success with this driver and teeing higher than most...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agree 100% and saw it over and over on the LM.

It's amazing, some of my longest drives are the high toe miss. Just a crazy low spin high draw that seems to go forever.

I'd say1/2 to 1 ball above the clubface is ideal

Tapping from my IPhone

Thanks again for the feedback guys! I wish the grass range was open all year up here in the northwest though! Time to get used to mats and mat tees...I called golf town about those mini tees that you put your own tee into for the mat and they don't sell them...I guess I could get them online...

Thanks again for the feedback guys! I wish the grass range was open all year up here in the northwest though! Time to get used to mats and mat tees...I called golf town about those mini tees that you put your own tee into for the mat and they don't sell them...I guess I could get them online...

Sure you could find them cheaper than this with a little online browsing, but these are great...

http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Rubber-Friction-Tee-Holder/dp/B0053GL640

I use the 2.75" tee and tee the ball between a quarter and half way above the face with my R1 is set at 9.5*. When I had the driver fit this is what was recommended based on my angle of attack. I tend to get a medium-high ball flight. I'll tee a little lower when hitting into the wind.

I set my ball down and push the tee in until the rounded part of the tee sets on top of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've always teed it up low, but with some great tips from a man named Dan...starting to raise it up and bringing the path up through the ball instead of down on the ball off the tee. Haven't settled on a standard yet, but looking to be at least half the ball above the face, but time will tell.

Back