Anyone ever Putt in a bunker?

I've done it with packed sand/no lip scenario and it's worked pretty well for me. I haven't had the misfortune of having to putt to a better position in the bunker though. Someone else mentioned using putter toe on an embedded sand ball. I'll have to remember that...when that happens to me, I typically try to blast it out with brute force. mixed results

I do it when the situation calls for it - hard bunkers, downhill and fast greens, no lip, shallow bunkers. The coolest one I did was from a fried egg lie with the hole only 6 feet away. I used the putter gripped sideways, and blasting the putter toe-first into the sand.

Up against a lip this week, had to stand outside the bunker and chipping really wasnt an option. Bunker was super firm and lip in front was very low. First time ever took the putter and bumped it out, Rolled up and around to within 4 feet. Wouldnt do it regularly but if the play has to be there then it is another trick in the bag really.

never used the putter but have used a 6 iron with a putting stroke to clear a lip, hadit to with in 5 feet!

It's an interesting scenario. Never, I've never done that.....but at the same time, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to be told something is impossible.....so I'm sure I would have tried something, though I don't know what it would have been.

~Rock

I've never done it and really never even considered it. Maybe i'll have to give it a try in the future.

I have seen it done multiple times and I just can't understand how they got it out.

It's an interesting scenario. Never, I've never done that.....but at the same time, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to be told something is impossible.....so I'm sure I would have tried something, though I don't know what it would have been.

~Rock
Yeah, it was crazy. I am playing there tomorrow with some THP'ers and I am going to set up the scenario for them and see what they would do. It wouldn't have been as bad for a lefty, even though he still wouldn't have had a play at the green, but he could have played it out short of the green. I am going to try and flip a wedge over and swing lefty. At the time, I thought nudging it 4 feet with the putter was a pretty good play just to get a swing on it.

I have done it a couple of times, but both times it was when the bunkers were pretty compacted after rain and had very little lip to worry about

First was playing with some THP'ers and I was in a greenside bunker which had branches overhanging the bunker (which basically meant you had no choice other than to putt - how it would have been possible to play a shot in normal dry sand is beyond me) and the lip of the bunker was almost flat

Second time was at my home course on a par 3 and this time I almost holed out for a birdie - there were a few looks from the rest of the group when the ball lipped out

This really isn't a question of putting out of a bunker to play to the green. That would have been impossible. The gent used the putter just so he could advance the ball to a spot 4 feet away that would allow him to play a traditional bunker shot. The ball was really in that bad of a position.:act-up:

Back