dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So I tend to get in trouble every round because I get too quick....When I get too quick....Which I'm not sure if it's because of nerves or what....But it causes me to get over the top or to stand up. It really gets me at the top of the swing when I don't allow for myself to finish the swing completely. I've been working on trying to slow myself down and just get a nice rhythm but I've been failing. Any advice on keeping a nice tempo and really flowing through the swing? Thanks!

saw somewhere that there is an app that functions as a metronome. the guy studied the pros tempo and duplicated that so that the tones are 1, 2 ... 3! you start on one, end the backswing on 2 and hit on 3. might be worth looking into.

There are some good videos on Youtube about tempo but what has helped me the most is using the tempo groove section on the Skypro.

Extension, keeping the right arm straight as long as possible on the back swing (thanks MarcH), and a good tempo. I found a video recently that I'm going to take to the range that will help me with my tempo. I get a little too quick with the transition sometimes. Tick, tock!

[video=youtube;7M-6EyVMs98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-6EyVMs98[/video]

KellyBo posted this a while a back, and it's stuck with me.

I try to get a slower song stuck in my head. For some reason having that slower speed of song helps me maintain a good tempo.

saw somewhere that there is an app that functions as a metronome. the guy studied the pros tempo and duplicated that so that the tones are 1, 2 ... 3! you start on one, end the backswing on 2 and hit on 3. might be worth looking into.

I completely forgot I won that app free from Plugged In Golf. I don't have a smart phone, but I downloaded it on my g/f's phone. May have to grab that Saturday morning and give it a go.

There are some good videos on Youtube about tempo but what has helped me the most is using the tempo groove section on the Skypro.

I've never seen that thing before. Looks like it could be fun!! I'm willing to try anything :)

Working with an instructor, I noticed I hit much longer and straighter when I slowed down my back swing, because everything fell into place, and I wasn't snatching up the club. I'm not sure how I practiced it exactly, but my back swing takes about twice as long as my downswing.

Really a great video. That's saved. Range work with it tomorrow! :)

one note I forgot. the Tour Tempo guy states that a tempo of 3:1 is optimal (example, in a video of a golf swing, 24 frames to complete backswing and 8 frames for the downswing.) Pretty interesting stuff

Got a whole playlist for that, mostly blues like BB King - The Thrill Is Gone. I know there are metronomes and tour rhythms and all that but I like a song in my head to help set my rhythm in my head. Keeps all the other thoughts out too.

I think about the backswing as slowly building power and getting everything ready to swing. The downswing is start the hips, pull down like you are pulling on a chain with the hands and accelerate the hips to clear them. The hands and arms and shoulders will follow.

A simple trick someone shared with me was to hum through the swing. The idea is to hum smoothly through the whole swing. If one hears any inflictions in the backswing or downswing, then there is tension applied. One is looking for a consistent hum backswing through strike. You can substitute humming with blowing.

This is something I struggle with off the tee. Going to try a couple of these and see what works best for me. some good suggestions.

Two things...

First, breathe. So much of being quick has to do with an over-anxiousness to hit the ball. Allow yourself to breathe and relax. Shake your arms, hum a tune, or whatever you want that will relax you.

Second, take some practice swings with the club turned around, grip to the ground. Swing quick like that and you'll feel the awkwardness. It swings easy and fluidly when you have a proper tempo

Hi. As you know, tempo is a ratio. 3:1, 2:1 etc. .. But I think what is a more important question is what is the right tempo for the right rate of speed. Your 100 mph club head speed at a tempo of 3:1, will feel much different from an 80 mph at 3:1.
But the ratio of time and distance traveled will be the same. Can you use a 3:1 tempo at a 1/4 swing chip?
A swing speed at 100 mph and a tempo at 2:1 creates a very aggressive transition. A 4:1 tempo creates a smooth transition at 100 mph.
That said, what is the tempo for your 6 iron swing speed?
As you can tell, I am not a fan of tempo. Ratios do not work for me.
My advice for finding a way to slow down. The act of unwrapping a hot sticky Jolly Rancher, changes your thought process and briefly changes your brains tasks. You do not change your concentration on the game, but it actually changes your brains tempo.
You know what you are doing wrong, and recognize there is a solution. My feeling is if you break the thought process briefly, away from golf, you reset the brain.
Another method is to place your tongue between your teeth before you hit the golf ball.

I too am not a huge fan of exact ratios when it comes to a golf swing. Playing in japan for 4 years ive seen some swings that definitely did not have a ratio.. however tempo is one thing ive always seen on cinsitant swings. I wouldnt get caught up in have many frames the backswing and downswing is...id focus on a rhythm. .. now if thats metallica enter sand man or sitting on the dock of the bay, that entirely up to you and your body. Just have ti make sure the same song is playing on the backswing as the downswing...just my 2 cents

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tempo is something I have struggled with as well and tend to get very quick. Using the metronome was suggest by a SeeMore instructor for putting and I have carried it over to my swing as well. It has done wonders for me.

I always used the tick tock method...when I doing that correctly it's great...when I stray I get pull hooks.

Another method is to place your tongue between your teeth before you hit the golf ball.

What is the idea behind? Think I need a little more explanation. Thanks

Some people are good ball strikers, and get quick, because of tension, stress, anxiety, or pressure. Biting the tongue is a biofeedback back technique to break the thought patterns, and helps relieve the tension.
Some of us get quick because we tense up our jaw, neck, shoulders and arm muscles. This tension, is from the anxiety of needing to hit a great shot.
How many of us play a mulligan, to find it is much more playable? That is because the stress and tension is gone.
So, if you recognize there is a tempo problem, and you get quick. It may not be a swing or club problem. It maybe a thought problem.
This makes since in my small, issue ridden mind.

I have a hard time trusting a golf pro that wears pleated pants, a Greg Norman hat, demonstrates an early release at impact and has edited golf swing videos...

With that said, the Tick Tock thing is good, there is some truth to what he mentioned. What is funny to me is that he didn't change his tick tock cadence when making the example of the "1,100 player's he see's each year", he just said tock louder. The point of the tick tock is to make you aware of your rhythm , that's about it.

Someone mentioned the Tour Tempo in an earlier post. I've met both John Novosel Sr and Jr and they know what they are talking about. While I have never used their methods or taught it, it is hard to say they are off base. Their app may be worth the purchase. Check out this video...hopefully you can get past the corny music.

Going to have to try this my next time out. Like the OP, my swing tempo needs work too.

So I tend to get in trouble every round because I get too quick....When I get too quick....Which I'm not sure if it's because of nerves or what....But it causes me to get over the top or to stand up. It really gets me at the top of the swing when I don't allow for myself to finish the swing completely. I've been working on trying to slow myself down and just get a nice rhythm but I've been failing. Any advice on keeping a nice tempo and really flowing through the swing? Thanks!

My advice:

To have good tempo, you have to a constant reference. That constant is gravity. If you let gravity control the momentum of the club head, you'll have perfect tempo. Of course there may be times when you want to "step on it" and swing harder than just with gravity. The key there is knowing when to give gravity an assist. Think of a kid on a swing. Do you push them backwards faster? Do you push them at the top of their arc? No, you wait until they've completed their arc and gravity has started them back down. That's when you give the "push" to assist gravity. The same thing applies to the golf swing. You allow gravity to control the tempo, but after gravity has started the club back down, you give it an extra push.

Back