Need a little Freddie advice on my swing!

Without extention the right arm will be bent. its only through extending down the line that will fix that small flaw. You have played like this for a quite a while so it will not be easy but have your buddies stop you when they see you off line.

Many thanks. Plenty to chew on this evening! I'll try and take a video towards the end of my session to let you see whether I'm on the right track or not.

As promised, a few vids from my first attempt to fix the issues previously noted. The first video is from early in the session, the second is towards the end. My main things I was trying to address were the alignment issues (hence using clubs as alignment sticks in first vid), trying to come from the inside, and getting the right shoulder back/standing more upright. I think I made some progress, but I can tell from watching the videos it's not there 100%. Had some good success in places though, and saw some encouraging things and was able to really put a good move on the ball a few times.

Anyways, thoughts appreciated as always. I know I'm not there yet, but I hope I'm on the right track.

The setup is better but still needs some work. I like the sound at impact and the extension through the ball. Keep working, it will click.

the driver sounded crisp but the angle was off so it was hard to tell about your setup. But the sound told me it was a solid strike.

The setup is better but still needs some work. I like the sound at impact and the extension through the ball. Keep working, it will click.

the driver sounded crisp but the angle was off so it was hard to tell about your setup. But the sound told me it was a solid strike.

Thanks - good to hear it looked better, it felt like I was better although I knew it wasn't there yet. I was working on the extension with a couple of swing thoughts - namely, "handshake with the target" and thinking about pushing the shot (as opposed to the slight OTT pull I usually do).

Yep, the driver ball was smoked. I was doing my best to keep the right shoulder back and hide the left arm there, wasn't all the way but it seemed somewhat better.

Thanks for taking a look and letting me know I'm on the right track!

Figured I'd post these two pics to show what work I've been doing on my backswing. Used to be very flat, as you'll see in the first pic, but I think I've gotten into a much better backswing position in the second.

From my local course back in January (I think), 7 iron. Very flat, hunched over. Feet are right of target, guess where I missed?

Backswing-LakePadden-Winter14-15_zpsixvd93an.jpg

From this past Saturday at Torrey Pines North, 6 iron. To my eye, better spine angle, and not nearly as flat. Feet pointing right at target, and I stuck it to 15ft.
Backswing-TorreyN-8-22-15_zpsk3tv7dtd.jpg

Feedback appreciated! I need to try and video my swing again soon.

Looking good! Obviously I am not qualified, but the relationship between your left arm and your shoulder line on the backswing looks perfect (looks lower in the older picture)!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Looking good! Obviously I am not qualified, but the relationship between your left arm and your shoulder line on the backswing looks perfect (looks lower in the older picture)!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Everytime I look at that pic I'm surprised at how much better it looks than the previous one.

Dude, You have been listening. That is a stellar photo and some great lines. Keep at it!!!
Figured I'd post these two pics to show what work I've been doing on my backswing. Used to be very flat, as you'll see in the first pic, but I think I've gotten into a much better backswing position in the second.

From my local course back in January (I think), 7 iron. Very flat, hunched over. Feet are right of target, guess where I missed?

Backswing-LakePadden-Winter14-15_zpsixvd93an.jpg

From this past Saturday at Torrey Pines North, 6 iron. To my eye, better spine angle, and not nearly as flat. Feet pointing right at target, and I stuck it to 15ft.
Backswing-TorreyN-8-22-15_zpsk3tv7dtd.jpg

Feedback appreciated! I need to try and video my swing again soon.

Dude, You have been listening. That is a stellar photo and some great lines. Keep at it!!!
Panda praise is the best praise. Thanks Freddie! Need to get a vid in here soon to see what you think of the whole shmear, but glad to hear I'm doing some things right!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I can tell you that I don't need to see a video to say you are in a very good position. The club head matches the forearm. The legs have great flex and have created a solid base. This position allows you to free wheel as much as you want. When I get into this type of position I can play any shot. Like I said in my previous post, keep it up.
Panda praise is the best praise. Thanks Freddie! Need to get a vid in here soon to see what you think of the whole shmear, but glad to hear I'm doing some things right!

Well Freddie I know you said you didn't need to see a video, but I took one at the range today so here you go anyways haha. Looks like maybe not enough leg flex here, but I'll let you chime in. 6 iron here, well struck shot.

https://vimeo.com/140266780

Well Freddie I know you said you didn't need to see a video, but I took one at the range today so here you go anyways haha. Looks like maybe not enough leg flex here, but I'll let you chime in. 6 iron here, well struck shot.

I remember seeing that swing in person going green hunting last month. Keep up the good work Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I look at the video I notice divots. But no divot on that shot. Which means you caught that clean and on the up swing. Is this something that happens often?

As I look at the video I notice divots. But no divot on that shot. Which means you caught that clean and on the up swing. Is this something that happens often?

From time to time I'd say, but it's not frequent. Generally I take a small divot with the longer clubs, and a deeper one with shorter clubs. It could have been a response mechanism trying not to hit it fat, since I hit the previous shot fat.

Hey Freddie, did you have any other comments besides the divots?

Hey Freddie, did you have any other comments besides the divots?

Try to hit the ball with the back of the left hand. Bury those knuckles into the turf. This will get you hitting down and through

Try to hit the ball with the back of the left hand. Bury those knuckles into the turf. This will get you hitting down and through
Sounds good, I will think about that next time out. Thanks Freddie!

Haven't posted a swing vid in a while so here is mine from my lesson today after a little work with the pro. Loving the distance I'm seeing, but we were working hard today on extension since a lack of it causes my toe miss. Would appreciate any further thoughts! Overall my pro likes this swing, though he says sometimes I get too quick on the takeaway and I sometimes have the aforementioned extension issues.

I'd like to see a little more shoulder turn and less arm swing on the back swing. This will help
you shorten your swing as your across the line at the top. As a result your a bit late on delivery and fail to get all the way through and off your right side. You want to be up on that right toe. The finish you have more of a by product of the force pulling you through instead of you driving through.

I'd like to see a little more shoulder turn and less arm swing on the back swing. This will help
you shorten your swing as your across the line at the top. As a result your a bit late on delivery and fail to get all the way through and off your right side. You want to be up on that right toe. The finish you have more of a by product of the force pulling you through instead of you driving through.

Thanks Freddie. I think that makes sense to my pea brain haha. So I should work on initiating the back swing with the shoulders more than the arms. I did also notice that the backswing was a little long, which would explain the late extension as you note.

I'll make "full shoulder turn" my second swing thought, on top of "swing down the line".

As always I appreciate the thoughts! Between the lessons and your thoughts over the last couple years, I feel like I'm always improving! :D

Last edited:

Freddie what is a good drill that can be done to use more shoulders and less arms on the takeaway

Freddie what is a good drill that can be done to use more shoulders and less arms on the takeaway

Good question.

A club cross the chest and rotate the shoulders. Cross the hands in front of the chest and rotate the shoulders. Learn what it feels like to turn the shoulders. Then repeat the drill while hold the club. It's all
About building muscle memory.

Hey Freddie,

So I had some serious toe ball issues today, resulting in a couple massive hooks and even 2 "toe shanks". Tough round, but I'm putting it behind me.

Given that you've seen these recent vids of my swing, do you have any tips on what to work or ideas on what was going (horribly) wrong? I suspect I'm getting too steep and not extending, but wanted to get some input. I found a drill online where you put two tees in the ground a clubhead apart, address the inner tee, and try to hit the outer one to work extension, was planning on trying that.

Hey Freddie,

So I had some serious toe ball issues today, resulting in a couple massive hooks and even 2 "toe shanks". Tough round, but I'm putting it behind me.

Given that you've seen these recent vids of my swing, do you have any tips on what to work or ideas on what was going (horribly) wrong? I suspect I'm getting too steep and not extending, but wanted to get some input. I found a drill online where you put two tees in the ground a clubhead apart, address the inner tee, and try to hit the outer one to work extension, was planning on trying that.

Toe shots generally come from poor distancing from the ball. Maybe you set up further from the ball on those particular shots. Maybe you shortened your arms through impact or maybe you got out in front of the ball and had to flip at it. What ever the case, it safe to say you changed the distance you had at address somewhere along the line.

You've been playing long enough that your setup position is more than likely automatic so we can roll that out. I don't see anything in your swing that would make me think you're short arming it. So I'm thinking you're sequencing may be off. Have you been working on a shorter shoulder turn? This will throw of the sequencing. Are you swinging harder? I'd work on your tempo by holding the club head and swinging the grip. Listen for the swoosh just after the impact zone. Hold your finish and do this 10 times before you swing. Muscle memory needs to be built so you might want to try this in your living room when watching TV.

Back