Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I play;

Driver- 913d3 at 10.5*

3wood - 913FD at 16.5*

3 iron - 712u 21*

4-pw

52, 56, 60

how many of you long hitters (300+ off the tee) dropped your 3 wood for a 5 wood?

I have a TM superfast burner 5 wood but spin the thing way to much and hit it into the stratosphere.

Have a chance to pick up a 913fd 18* at a sweet price so I am debating this swap..

I've often thought of doing this but I find a 3w far more versatile to be honest. As well as the versatility I like knowing that if I'm struggling with the river I have a club in the bag I can control and still bomb 270yards.

I play a stronger 3 wood, (14*) and a 9.5 driver, so a 19* 5 wood fits my gaps anyway. I then play a 21* hybrid, and a 24* 5 iron. This set up works good for me. What I recommend is to try a 5 wood and see how it works for you, for me the 5 wood is a versatile club, it's great from the fairway, it's great off the tee and even from light rough.

My drives can max out around 320 in the summer.. I've never gamed a 3 wood. Always been a 5 wood guy, and just recently took on the 4 wood, which is only 1* less than my 5 wood. Soon, i'll be dumping the 4w for a 2i ironwood. I like to have 10-15 yard gaps from the bottom up. 3 woods have always resembled small rocks on the end of a stick to me. Don't know why, but theyre just harder to hit.

I was a Driver 9.5 and 22* 5w guy, but I had a big gap in yardage. I dropped the driver and went with a strong 3w (13 degree) and 17* and 21* hybrids. The gap at the back of the hybrids fit in line with the 3i so it a pretty seamless transition there for me. I can go 300+ with the 3w and still hit it 270-280 off the deck. The strong 3w is really easy to control too so I really have no need for the driver anymore. I dont like the toaster over drivers anyway.

I hit a 300 yard 3wood once, so I feel like I can comment.

Bubba uses a 17° 4w. Might be an option. The other option is drop a wedge and add a more traditionally lofted 3wood and a 5wood.

I use

8.5 Driver

15 degree Fairway

2 Iron

4-pw

I dont really have any large distance gap anywhere. I can hit my 3 wood a variety of distances and if I need more club than the 3 wood I will just hit driver off the deck.

I have a 14.5* 3 wood, and 16* hybo and then drop to a 4 iron. I'm looking at probably putting a utility iron in there for a 3 iron. Probably a 712U. Unlike to have options off the tee and that setup gives me plenty of options.

I dropped my 5w for a 4h. A 3h probably would have been fine too. 3w-260, 4h-230, 4-iron 215. Actually as I type those yardages I feel the 4h was the right choice.

For me, when I need to take distance off and hit it higher and get more spin, I just get steep and bunt it.

Thats why I like having a strong 3w as opposed to a 5w.

I still keep the 3 wood in the bag but now it's the 15* version. Part of the reason for that is when I need a low screamer type of shot and plenty of roll, my steep swing helps me hit hit a very consistent "Driver off the deck" shot. Sometimes with the right lie I'll hit it as high as most people do with their 3 wood...

I bounce back & forth between my 17* XH-Pro & 14.5 3Deep depending on the course, I was going with the 17* on a regular basis, but realized it was costing me on par 5's

Thanks for the comments guys. I am thinking I might just pick the 18* up anyway and try it out to see which works the best. With the FD being a low spin head it will probably fly alto lower and farther then my TM superfast 5w.

i had a r9 3w before and couldn't hit that thing at all. Slice it all over the place. With my new 15* fd I absolutely pound that thing.

I don't really hit many fairway woods off the deck. If I can't get to a par 5 in 2 with anything less then a 3 or 4 iron then I might as well lay up. Of the circuit of courses I play I can only thing of 3 par 5's I cannot get to in 2 shots. So off the deck is not a big deal.

Dude you crush the ball. I'm not quite as long as you but I have found going from my driver then into a 2 and 3 hybrid works well for me. The hybrids are long enough for me and if going into a green with them I can hold it very well. I think you would be perfectly fine going into a 5 wood.

I play both a 3 and 5 because of the dog legs on the courses around me. That gives me a 280, 260, and 240 yard club off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Why not up your loft on the 3wd to 18* and see how that works for you? You could also go 17.25 with it as well.

Just my thoughts

I hit a 300 yard 3wood once, so I feel like I can comment.

Bubba uses a 17° 4w. Might be an option. The other option is drop a wedge and add a more traditionally lofted 3wood and a 5wood.

I hit a 300 yard drive once back in the 1980's, down hill and down wind.......:beat-up:

I hit a 300 yard drive once back in the 1980's, down hill and down wind.......:beat-up:

My 3wood was legit. it was at the Friday round before the Illinois THP invitiational. A lawyer even saw it. If you can trust a lawyer.

I play driver, 4 Wood, 7 Wood and then 4 hybrid.

I have been thinking about swapping the 7 Wood for a 3 hybrid, but I hit the 7 Wood too well to make the swap right now.

I play:
Driver 8.5-11.5
Then switch around between 3W@15*, 5-7W@17-20* & hybro@24* and carry 2 out of the 3. Sometimes drop the 5W down to 17* and drop the 3W. Or bump up the 5 wood and drop the hybro...
4-PW
50, 54 & 60..

I dropped my 5w for a 4h. A 3h probably would have been fine too. 3w-260, 4h-230, 4-iron 215. Actually as I type those yardages I feel the 4h was the right choice.

Similar scenario for me. My gaps with the longer clubs are about 15 or 20 yards. I still carry my 3 wood, but it is smaller than the new models and I don't use it much. I've hit some newer woods, and they just feel too bulky for me. Anyway I hit my 3W about 250. Then I go to the hybrids (3 & 4), 230 and 215 respectively. After that I go to irons, starting with the 4 at 200.

I dropped a 4W for the hybrids and gained more accuracy and reliability on the longer shots. I'm debating dropping the 3W so I can add another wedge, but I'd really hate to give up the ability to hit most par 5's in 2. Honestly though my 3H is normally all I need, and I've found my accuracy to be MUCH better with these clubs. I might give a 2H a shot if I can find a demo somewhere.

One thing I was considering is taking the shaft from the 5w and put it in the 3w head which is set at 16.5* (practically a 4w) Then my next club would be the 712u at 21*

really like my wedges the way they are so don't want to mess with that to much

I play 10.5 driver then 15° 3w, 3-pw, 50,55, and 60. Depending how im feeling I sometimes drop the 3w for 2i... about 290-330 with driver, 265 ish with either 3w or 2i

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Bag setup question for long hitters.

Reading these makes me feel short

Back