Mizuno JPX EZ Iron Preview Thread

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
I have received a set of JPX EZ irons for a homepage review. These irons were talked about with some early sneak peek pictures a while back but we finally have some genuine THP in hand pictures. I'm super excited to get these out to the driving range and course this weekend. I just so happened to have 36 holes planned for Sunday so the timing is perfect. I will update this thread often with my findings.

Right away I can tell you that I like the looks of the iron quite a bit, I think the finish and the coloring in the cavity back work well. For those of you who have come to know me, you know that I typically prefer a players iron and these are definitely not in that category. The sole of the irons are quite large, a lot bigger than I expected...but I'm quite intrigued by that. I have always played players irons, sometimes even to the point where I probably punish myself more so than I really should because of the lack of forgiveness in the iron sets I gravitate towards. I can't help it, I just like that sleek profile so moving to irons will be an adjustment, but I'm open to it and who knows, it might be a welcome change of pace.

The shafts are the DG XP 105 which I'm very intrigued by. Here are some specs on the shafts, these things come in weighing considerably less than the PXi shafts I've recently used and right around the same as the KBS C-Taper Lite...it'll be interesting having these light shafts in a GI/distance iron like this, I expect to see some pretty significant distance increases...stay tuned!

Here are some pics of the irons.

The 4 iron

4 iron sole

4 iron face

4 iron address

8 iron address

GW address

4 iron- 8 iron- GW

I'll get some on course pics this weekend and I'll be back with some initial thoughts. I will say that even with that big sole, you don't notice it at address at all, so that is a big plus in my book.

Those look quite nice, Jake. Cant wait to hear how you hit 'em!

Odd to see the mottled shade on a set of Mizuno's. Nice initial post.

Those look quite nice, Jake. Cant wait to hear how you hit 'em!
If I had to guess right now I'd say high...and far. I like both, so I think we'll get along nicely.

And I agree, they do look pretty darn nice. I like that finish, it seems like it should hold up well too.

Being Mizzies we know they are going to be good, and I look forward to following the thread. I'm not too sure about that color combo though, seems a little too Halloween-ish to me.

I have been looking forward to this one.

Ooooh, those look niiiice. I can't wait to hear what you think Jake!

Oh man. That shaft is right in my wheelhouse. I can't wait to hear what you think of it Jake. This should be a really fun set for you to hit. I predict long bombs.

Those look awfully damn cool.

Is that like a bronze head? Shape kinda reminds of the old ping's.

Those do look bigger than I anticipated as well Jake, not a bad thing at all, just different than what I was thinking.

REALLY curious to hear your thoughts, esp as a more "players iron" kinda guy like I know you are. 36 holes to put them to the test right out the gates should be fun!

All kind of goodies on THP today. These look good. Interested in seeing your thoughts.

I Tapped that with my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be interesting to see how far you hit these Jake. These are definitely not players clubs, but they are sharp looking. Look forward to see how they performed for you this weekend.

Oh man. That shaft is right in my wheelhouse. I can't wait to hear what you think of it Jake. This should be a really fun set for you to hit. I predict long bombs.
That shaft is money isn't it? Seems to be anyway, I'm sure it'll be solid. It's funny, I took the 6 iron in to work after I took delivery today and one guy grabbed it and said, wow these are heavy....seconds later another guy picks it up and says, wow these are heavy. It's all in how you look at it really, you can definitely feel the head quite a bit when you are holding the club lightly at address position but overall they are quite light. I can almost already tell that smooth tempo swings will get best results, meaning I won't have to "go after" it to get distance out of these.

The shape and finish remind me of some ping offerings back in the day. The bronze thing...yeah kinda in the light just right I see it...but that might be the light more than anything. Once it's daylight I'll get some pics outside.

Those do look bigger than I anticipated as well Jake, not a bad thing at all, just different than what I was thinking.

REALLY curious to hear your thoughts, esp as a more "players iron" kinda guy like I know you are. 36 holes to put them to the test right out the gates should be fun!
Players iron or not I'll just bomb high/long shots one after another with these...that is a given. I'll probably hit the 7 iron 200 yards! I'm ok with that....you know, if anyone is keeping track! Haha.

Nice dude. I love a head-heavy iron. The RocketBladez were the same way. Felt beefy, but in reality they were quite light.

I thought that too, but for some reason they remind me of the Big Bertha irons too.

Really interested in your thoughts on these, Jake.

If I were buying a new set of irons, these would be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have been looking forward to this one.

They look cool but that sole is huge! It'll be nice to hear how these work for a better ball striker.

I didnt see it in the post, are those the forged or the cast version? LookI ng foward to reading abiut these more..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hit these during a fitting at Golftec with Youngbuck. My initial thought were they felt heavy. From the MP 60's that I game it was a noticeable change. Ball flight was about 10% higher across the board. Looking forward to your thought on that aspect Jake. The appearance was quite different, but in a good way. They look like work horses.

Look tempting...looking forward to hearing how they perform for you Jake

I didnt see it in the post, are those the forged or the cast version? LookI ng foward to reading abiut these more..

These are the cast version, they do however make an EZ Forged iron which has a little smaller profile as well.

Im sure my fitter next weekend is going to be frustrated with me( but he is getting paid) but im going to try and hit these as well..least the forged version to compare to the 825 pros... Cant lie..love the color scheme and mizuno makes a solid club..

I grabbed some pics out in the daylight to hopefully give you a better idea of how that finish looks. 36 holes tomorrow so it'll be a great day of testing, I'll get tons of pics and feedback.

I've messed around with them a lot and I am quite excited to get out and hit them, they really give me an impression that these babies are going to be long. I'm pretty anxious to see for myself tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Back