JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think most are created equally? How important is their construction in your choice of wedges?

No idea if they are really created equally. Not important to me.

Much more important for me is weighting, sole design, turf interaction, etc.

It's a non factor for me. I don't know anything about them and don't have technique to use them really.

Thought they were equal, but then I realized how much less my Hopkins spun compared to the md2. I then found the the ping glides, which gave me the consistency of the Hopkins with the spin of the md2s. Not all grooves are created equal

I do, but couldn't tell you whether grooves help hit out of rough or not.

Grooves channel dirt and debris away from the club face to help maintain consistent ball contact.

What Cookie said. I'm a steep, digger so how they play is more important that silly grooves, which are probably kind of the same because of rules(?).

(I mostly have no idea what I'm talking about)

Grooves channel dirt and debris away from the club face to help maintain consistent ball contact.

And create spin (alien face thingy)....

Seriously I like wedges That are made well and do their job channeling the debris

Cool, thanks. So I'd probably look at that a little bit next time as a factor.

Until this weekend I never gave it a second thought and pretty much figured they were all the same. I remember a couple of points from Cleveland but maybe not enough to put it together in a coherent way. Maybe one of the other guys can chime in.

I think how clean they are and how worn they are play more of a factor. Granted some materials hold up better overtime so some grooves last longer. The size and shape of those grooves is limited by the USGA. As long as the manufacturer is pushing those governing limits, how they are constructed should have little effect on performance.

I don't worry much about their construction. Mainly concerned that they aren't too worn.

Do you think most are created equally? How important is their construction in your choice of wedges?

After hearing what I heard at the THP event this weekend, my answer is no, they are not equal and construction is important for what you are looking to get out of your wedges!

I would guess they aren't created equal. Having deep grooves to help keep debris from interfering with the ball and spin is important.

With the USGA regulations I'm sure most grooves are relatively equal. Ball choice would make a bigger difference than grooves IMHO. Construction is important when shopping to get the desired feel and bounce for versatility to fit my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never really have looked into grooves when purchasing wedges so I'm not sure. I've never really thought of them being important mainly because I have never really heard the pros talk about their grooves

All new grooves seem all good to me unless it's like a Wilson Harmonized or something

i honestly dont even pay attention when I am looking at wedges...

Not a factor at all for me. What I find more important is how the wedge looks at address, and how the bottom of the wedge interacts with the ground based on the way I like to play my wedges, not just talking about bounce but more how the front edge etc seems to play.

I have never once gave it any thought when buying a wedge.

No I do not think they are all equal. I'm clueless about how they are constructed and why but when I read about them they need to sound like they make sense to me.

Wedge Grooves

I don't think they're created equal. Just going by looks alone, some of them look nothing alike. I remember when Cleveland came out with zip grooves. That was the first I saw grooves on the grooves. I do think that most wedge grooves are good a funneling debris away, but really haven't had the chance to head to head compare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think with the USGA/RNA rules they are very similar maybe slight differences but close enough that most will not see a difference

I think most are created equally.

Back