Sub Shops - The Chains

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Conversation started on twitter, but it needs a thread. Give us your favorite and why.

Subway
Blimpies
Firehouse Subs
Jimmy Johns
Jersey Mikes
Quiznos
Others

What are your favorites? Let's keep this to the chains so everybody can relate.

If I had to pick one of that list, it'd probably be Jimmy Johns.. I love the french bread there.

That said, they all get trumped for Penn Station here. I'd eat there 10x before eating at any of these. Chain-ish in the midwest.

Firehouse. For sure. They're local and delicious!

My favorite isn't a chain though. Angie's Subs in Jacksonville Beach is the best.

Firehouse because they know how to pile on the meat!

Subway is the only one I've had from that list and not a fan.

A local chain for us (started in Rochester, NY I believe) is DiBella's. Good bread and a lot of meat is where it is for me.

• Admin
If I had to pick one of that list, it'd probably be Jimmy Johns.. I love the french bread there.

That said, they all get trumped for Penn Station here. I'd eat there 10x before eating at any of these. Chain-ish in the midwest.

Penn Station is a pretty big chain. I would say they qualify (I wrote other because I could not remember all of them).

I always like Quizno's. But when we go to one, it's usually Subway. I think both have a good product. I do like the $5 foot long meatball subs at Subway though.

Larry's Giant Subs...always tasty. And for one of my wife's favorite I submit Schlotzsky's.

+1 First thing I thought was Penn Station... Where I used to work in Centerville, Ohio, there was a PS 5-10 minutes away in every direction. It was quite the bonus to the location. Now I'm 35 mintues away from at least 4 of them. Makes me sad...

Penn Station is a pretty big chain. I would say they qualify (I wrote other because I could not remember all of them).

Alright, good deal. I wasn't sure how far across the country they were.. Mostly just see them in Ohio.

Either way, I think their dagwood is awesome. On the grill, with their bread, it's just a great mix. Plus fantastic fresh cut fries.

I don't think it can be beat here.

firehouse gets my vote as well. Local to Jax and their hook & ladder w/ their house sause is delicious.

Whatever is closest if I am hungry.

I like parts of a few, if that makes any sense.

Subway is fast and easy.
Quiznos has the best toasted subs, and I love there hot sauce
Jimmy Johns always tastes "fresh" out of the three
We have a chain in Kansas called Mr. Goodcents Subs and Pasta...isn't right between a Subway and pasta shop...it's good too

If I had to pick ONE and only ONE...I'd pick Quiznos though.

Charley's. Great cheesesteak, delicious fries, and good lemonade.

Far as chains go, they're probably my favorite.

Jersey Mike's>JJ's>Quizno's>Blimpie>Subway

Haven't had Blimpie in probably 10 years, so it might be higher. Also, haven't had Firehouse although there are a few around here.

Jersey Mike's takes the cake for me. So many option between their hot and cold subs.

Charley's. Great cheesesteak, delicious fries, and good lemonade.

Far as chains go, they're probably my favorite.

I forgot this one. Very good fries. I wish more sub shops had fries.

I always like Quizno's. But when we go to one, it's usually Subway. I think both have a good product. I do like the $5 foot long meatball subs at Subway though.

It's $5.75 at the one near my office. :angry: Not happy about the extra 75 cents!

Which Wich is another one to keep in mind.

I've heard they are phenomenal just not in a ton of locales yet.

Which Wich is another one to keep in mind.

I've heard they are phenomenal just not in a ton of locales yet.

It's a nice setup. You pick out a bag and fill out everything you want on it.. I prefer to go hot, and it rolls through just like a quiznos would. Buffalo chicken is solid.

Shops like that just don't stand out to me, for some reason. The bread is good (not great) and the ingredients are pretty typical.

---
Agreed on the fries comment. If a sub shop doesn't have fries, I don't consider it a dinner option. Call me weird (has happened a few times haha) it's just how I feel.

Lenny's- awesome philly
Firehouse- good corned beef/pastrami
Jersey Mike's- good philly
Which Wich- good selection
Schlotzsky's- good bread

Firehouse no question. Working there for 2 years I trust the meats and cheeses they use are good quality so I don't mind paying a little extra there.

I forgot this one. Very good fries. I wish more sub shops had fries.

Makes sense that they don't. Most sub shops are riding the idea that they're "healthier" than a burger joint. Deep fryers might spoil the image. Instead they sell bags of chips, like the starch of a potato isn't already one of the least healthy parts of fries/chips in the first place.

I'm definitely a Firehouse guy. SteamedGoodness. Also like Publix Subs.

Subway and Publix.

Have only had Subway's but I like their subs quite a bit.

Back