Some wedges hotter faces?

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Vokey 50° and Callaway X forged 54° and 60°' I have also used Cleveland in the past. The Vokey is new to me and one thing I have noticed is the ball feels like it springs off the face more than the Forged Callaways. I don't know that it translates to longer distance comparatively, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed one wedge to be hotter than another... is it even possible?

I bought my Vokeys this year 46,52,56,60 and I'll say I definitely feel like the faces are hotter than the Nike VR wedges (same setup) I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a number of things including cleaner contact, grooves that are new and channeling more debris away and even a different sound. As far as a "hotter" face, you wont find too much info out there to support this when clubs are actually tested.

Not sure it is possible to have "hot" wedges. Distance comes for me by where I set my hands at address. More forward means less loft (longer shot) and hands back means more loft (less distance). Pretty easy to make my 58 degree a 60/62 degree or a 56/54 degree.

Could be a number of things including cleaner contact, grooves that are new and channeling more debris away and even a different sound. As far as a "hotter" face, you wont find too much info out there to support this when clubs are actually tested.
I am just going purely by feel I don't notice any distance advantage. The Callaway have more of a dull thud feel by comparison.

Same shafts in both?

Could be the material or the manufacturing process or shaft or even grip.

One thing I notice about clubs with milled faces is that the ball seems to sit on the face a little longer at impact and maybe that's what you're feeling?

The ball is on the clubface for less than a millisecond - I don't think that would be noticeable from a perception standpoint.

Could it be a loft difference? The 50 degree is going to be faster off the face by virtue of the fact that it has less loft than the 54 or 60.

I tried those horrid TM ATV wedges and hit all flyers. just bazooka shots which normally would be great but I want to be able to feel my wedges......feel me? lol

Well, I'm not saying that the wedges actually have a "hotter" face as much factually as it is in the feel. My Nike VRs feel "softer" than my SM5s. Granted I have several seasons with my VRs and a season cut short with my SM5s.

I also feel like I get more action and spin off the face, but you let Tiger hit a 40 year old wedge and he could like spin it just as well. So again I think it's mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ball is on the clubface for less than a millisecond - I don't think that would be noticeable from a perception standpoint.

Could it be a loft difference? The 50 degree is going to be faster off the face by virtue of the fact that it has less loft than the 54 or 60.
So you are suggesting that feel doesn't exist?

Feel is sound.
It's still feel though, and it's a very deep technical topic of resonance, harmonics, sustain and frequency. I've seen the same debate regarding guitars. You can have 2 guitars of the same model made via a CNC machine to the same specs and using the same exact materials, but one will feel different to the next. Does it sound different? Maybe just a smidge. From a physical specs stand point it should feel the same to the hands, but our hands also feel the vibrations. Now this is where resonate frequency comes into play. Everything has a resonant frequency, a frequency that when struck it will vibrate at, including people. Resonant frequency is determined by a combination of material, mass, density and shape. When a string is plucked it will vibrate at a frequency of the note but the transference of that vibration is dampened or enhanced by all the materials involved. The neck will vibrate at its own resonant frequency which the musician can't hear but can feel. So those 2 identical instruments can feel different based on different density of wood which affects the resonant frequency. Now let's take this a little further, if feel were only sound in this regard, a fellow by the name of Ludwig von Beethoven kind of contradicts that sound is the only sensation created by vibration. But wait there's more! A guitar string plucked at a different point along it's length will sound different, this is a result of harmonics, or a stack of different tones generated at initial strike of the string. Some will decay faster or sustain longer based on proximity to the end of the string. A more relevant example is drums, drummers can get a different tone based on where on the drum head the struck the stick.

So how does this apply to a golf club? If we think of the clubface as the string and the shaft as the neck different vibrations can be sent to the hands. Example a ball struck dead center on face is going to generate different harmonics and a vibration that sustains longer than a ball struck closer to the edge of the face. Much like the drummer striking the drum head in a different place. The difference though is the vibrations are transferred to the hands via the shaft and grip. GI clubs have a lot of engineering involved in dampening these vibrations so a golfer who tends to not hit cleanly won't get those ugly vibration sensations as much.

Wedges as mentioned don't have additional dampening engineered into them though, but the materials if different will cause different resonant frequency which while the impact is mainly auditory the resonant frequency is felt through the hands even only briefly.
Feel is sound.

Back