Big Break 23 - The Palm Beaches (spoilers)

A couple. More so on the ladies side of things I believe. But Tony Finau was on Big Break and he's doing pretty well this year.
Nice skim :p

I just fished last nights episode. I can't he didn't pick Tommy for elimination. The show will not be quite as entertaining without Tyler's commentary.

I wonder if they know the challenge before they make the choice. I think the vet has gotten to play two par 5s, two par 3s and a short par 4 in his elimination challenges. Seems a touch convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fished last nights episode. I can't he didn't pick Tommy for elimination. The show will not be quite as entertaining without Tyler's commentary.

I kinda think he didn't want to pick Tommy because he didn't want the chance of being knocked out by him. Nothing feels worse than getting knocked out by someone who you feel you're better than, and I don't think he was 100% convinced he'd take Tommy out. By picking Chad you either knock a very solid player out, or get knocked out by the same very solid player. It's playing with fire for sure, but I feel like getting knocked out by Chad would feel a little better than getting knocked out by Tommy in that situation. Just my opinion on it. He also basically said he wasn't going to pick the other guy (kyle?) because he felt that he had no chance at all vs. him.

I wonder if they know the challenge before they make the choice. I think the vet has gotten to play two par 5s, two par 3s and a short par 4 in his elimination challenges. Seems a touch convenient.

I would guess that they don't know.

But I don't think they set it up to benefit Chad.
It's not like Chad took the risky shot on the par 5. Had Tyler played his first ball like he did the second, he makes his birdie and makes a playoff. Chad plays to his strengths and has thrived on that.

This is getting tiring picking the guy with one leg to get beaten by the guy in the elimination.

Realistically, how many of the contestants have made it to the tour from this show?

Fair point. I think the differences is there's some very small probability that any of the other guys might become better putters or whatever and have some theoretical chance of being able to play on tour. Here, the guy drives the ball 250 (?) tops. Given his physical limitations that isn't likely to improve. It is impossible to play on tour hitting it that short. Whatever, it is a good story and he's knocking people out so it makes for entertaining TV...

Hey is there anywhere to watch the old episodes online?

Hey is there anywhere to watch the old episodes online?
They're on demand on Directv. I'm not sure if they're on the GC website or not though.

Same with me. I don't have any problem with everyone picking him, but it's really fun to see him keeping knocking people out and I'm rooting for him. I was sad to see Tyler go though, he brought some real character to the show. It's going to be interesting to see how this season shapes up, I think. It seems to me that there is a lot more talent this season than there was in the last season (the one Jimmy won against his friend who I couldn't stand, but who's name I can't remember).

Edit to add that the "Same with me" was supposed to quote Army Golf's post, but I apparently can't remember anything today, including to actually quote the post I'm referring to.

That's interesting that you would notice that, is it because they keep picking the Veteran? Would you have noticed that if they would of picked other people? It's funny to me that people see stuff that truly shouldn't matter. Same hole at the same time, play it well or go home.

Chad can handle pressure better than most, been there done that, under true stress. Really how much stress is there when people aren't shooting at you. Relax, it's just golf is my thought process, most likely is his too.

As a Veteran myself, I'm rooting for Chad.

I wouldn't have picked him for the simple fact that he went into back to back eliminations. Give the guy a day off he's already knocked out 3 people for you. The guys competing on that show see him as an easy target, I don't think he would be on the show if he didn't have some game. He should have gone for the "old guy" he was already in his head when they were on the range and probably would have won.

I saw 30 minutes of the last episode and gathered Chad knocked out someone else the week before to stay in the game. He simply played out of his Arse adn it was good to see that he kept going til the ball was in the hole. It was entertaining over lunch, that's about it for me. I do think his luck will run out sooner or later with his lack of turn thru the ball.
Fair point. I think the differences is there's some very small probability that any of the other guys might become better putters or whatever and have some theoretical chance of being able to play on tour. Here, the guy drives the ball 250 (?) tops. Given his physical limitations that isn't likely to improve. It is impossible to play on tour hitting it that short. Whatever, it is a good story and he's knocking people out so it makes for entertaining TV...

That's interesting that you would notice that, is it because they keep picking the Veteran? Would you have noticed that if they would of picked other people? It's funny to me that people see stuff that truly shouldn't matter. Same hole at the same time, play it well or go home. .
I notice it because it's golf, they are competing and it's been a curious / coincidental stretch of elimination holes. Other years I've raised my eyebrows a bit over holes and tee placements when a man is playing a woman. I get that it is TV and they are going to do what the need to do to keep it interesting, though it can sometimes seem to be at odds with the basic premise of the show - finding the best player and giving him/her a shot on tour.

Chad mentioned that he had some training in the military that has helped him in golf. One of the things he mentioned was regarding training to help make good decisions in battle and under stress. I think this is what he does well, and in doing so he avoids the big misses and mistakes.

I wouldn't have picked him for the simple fact that he went into back to back eliminations. Give the guy a day off he's already knocked out 3 people for you. The guys competing on that show see him as an easy target, I don't think he would be on the show if he didn't have some game. He should have gone for the "old guy" he was already in his head when they were on the range and probably would have won.

Nothing against Chad at all, but why should they give him a break? Because he's been in back to back elimination challenges? Sorry, but you absolutely would not be saying that if it was Brandon in the same situation.

As a Veteran myself, I'm rooting for Chad.
Hell yeah! Me, too. And the training thing he referenced can relate to any field in the military. You train and train and train for that, sometimes brief, moment in time it matters and you just let it happen. You let the training kind of take over and you don't even think about it.

Hell yeah! Me, too. And the training thing he referenced can relate to any field in the military. You train and train and train for that, sometimes brief, moment in time it matters and you just let it happen. You let the training kind of take over and you don't even think about it.

I really respect Chad and how he overcome a severe physical set back, held his head up high, and became a champion golfer. This dude is incredible.

I saw that Chad is playing with Eric Compton todsy in ProAm. My money is on that team

I saw that Chad is playing with Eric Compton todsy in ProAm. My money is on that team

pretty inspiring team. if i was there i would follow them.

I wonder, if before picking their opponent in the elimination, if they are told what the elimination challenge will be?

If it were anything that required distance off the tee for the first shot, I would honestly be picking Chad (but that is based off the challenge a couple episodes ago where he was much shorter off the tee than everyone else).

I can't say that I would be giving the guy a break just because he was in the past couple eliminations. The fact that he had been lighting it up in said eliminations would definitely be giving me pause to pick him though.

I saw 30 minutes of the last episode and gathered Chad knocked out someone else the week before to stay in the game. He simply played out of his Arse adn it was good to see that he kept going til the ball was in the hole. It was entertaining over lunch, that's about it for me. I do think his luck will run out sooner or later with his lack of turn thru the ball.

He seems to have compensated for his lack of turn in some way.

I don't know if you have seen all the episodes or not, but his chipping and pitching is really good. And he goes right at the pin from 150 and in. As they said, he would have been 5 under through six holes if makes that putt last night.

He will obviously have problems with distance off the tee. I think his tee shot on the Par 5 was only 235 yards.

So the guy that picks Chad is telling himself and the camera crew, "I know I shouldn't pick Chad because he has already eliminated 3 people..." and then he picks him anyways.

Chad is a straight up assassin. Taking people out left and right.

Makes for a great story!

Just getting caught up on this season. Chad you freakin animal! I hope you win this whole freakin thing. Thank you for your sacrifices and if you win, I will find a way to be there when you play your exemption.

Do work grunt!

JM

Back