chuggz221

Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently playing Titleist 712 CB's, I am looking to splash out on a new set of irons for next season.

I like the look of the 714's but does anyone have advice on whether to play all cavity irons or cavity long irons and blade scoring irons.

I know it is all down to feel but is there any benefit to a combo set?

Some people believe that combo sets are where it's at because the longer irons are supposedly easier to hit and the scoring irons are more workable. I call BS on that. I gave it consideration until I realised it wouldn't actually help my game. I'd love to know how many pros play combo sets, hell tons of them play full sets of cavity backs and some even play what'd be considered GI irons. At the end of the day find what you feel most comfy with and you can't go wrong.

Some people believe that combo sets are where it's at because the longer irons are supposedly easier to hit and the scoring irons are more workable. I call BS on that. I gave it consideration until I realised it wouldn't actually help my game. I'd love to know how many pros play combo sets, hell tons of them play full sets of cavity backs and some even play what'd be considered GI irons. At the end of the day find what you feel most comfy with and you can't go wrong.

If it was strictly BS, your wedges would match the rest of your irons.
While I dont personally find the need for them, many have a preference in looking down at something smaller in their scoring irons.

Just because they don't work well for you makes them BS? So because I can't hit blades they are BS?

Probably more pros than you would think.

"I call BS" MY OPINION. Or did I miss the point where the OP asked for our opinions?

I guess some view a BS comment as non factual rather than an opinion. Hence the reason for the debate.

Ok, well it was definitely an opinion. The same way I think certain brands are overrated etc. People need to chill out and not take things to heart so much. Read what I wrote again and you'll see I tell the OP that he should settle with what he feels comfy with.

People need to chill out and not take things to heart so much.

2 way street dude.

Now lets everybody get back to the topic at hand.

I am currently playing Titleist 712 CB's, I am looking to splash out on a new set of irons for next season.

I like the look of the 714's but does anyone have advice on whether to play all cavity irons or cavity long irons and blade scoring irons.

Yes, there could be some benefit depending on what you're looking for. A blade typically launches lower than a CB type iron due to the fact the center of gravity of the club head is higher. Many feel a blade is more workable than a CB as well.

Is it worth sacrificing forgiveness for those things? Not for me.

Probably more pros than you would think.

I think you're right. I've noticed lately a lot of WITB features in magazines have had a players cavity back in the 3-6 range, and then blades for the rest.

Mixed opinions I guess. I get the reasoning behind it, especially as you creep down into the long irons, where many of us struggle to get the ball up and miss the center of the face more. At the same time, when I was playing the 588 MT/TT combo I sort of wished I had all TT irons.

What I like is that you're seeing quite a bit of now is blends of different iron profiles in the same set. Long irons that have a larger cavity and lower CG, while the scoring irons are built for a flatter trajectory by virtue of higher weight placement, thicker faces, and smaller cavities. It's essentially the same idea as behind the combo set, but with the same iron.

What I was thinking was the long irons will be very playable in cavity back but you have the added feel in a bladed scoring iron.

I have Vokey wedges and love the feel of these would this be the same principle in a 7,8 and 9 irons.

What I was thinking was the long irons will be very playable in cavity back but you have the added feel in a bladed scoring iron.

I have Vokey wedges and love the feel of these would this be the same principle in a 7,8 and 9 irons.

I personally don't know if you'd see enough of a difference to justify the cost, but you never know. It's not like those CB's are a large profile iron.

I have somewhat mixed feelings on combo sets. There's so many arguements to be made. I'd ask and see what exactly you want out of your long irons. Do you want a higher flight, improved gapping, more forgiveness? Than make your decision from there.

What are u thinking of getting chuggz? Sticking to the cb's or would u be open to the new ap2 714 which look amazing!
im thinking of going ap1 in the 3 and 4 and then ap2 for the rest, but this all depends on how I like the ap1. If the ap1 isn't to chunky in the scoring irons I might game a whole set of them. The trend on tour is more and more of mixed or blended sets. Go for it!

Man, if you're are going to spend the money on a new set, find a good fitter and customizer that will let you hit every darn club you want. Look at the numbers. Then decide. If that means you end up with a mix of hybrid, GI and scoring irons, then get the best set for you based on the best of money you are going to be spending. Facts overrule opinion every time.*

*Except on message boards, politics, relationships, sales, marketing, and reality television.

What are u thinking of getting chuggz? Sticking to the cb's or would u be open to the new ap2 714 which look amazing!
im thinking of going ap1 in the 3 and 4 and then ap2 for the rest, but this all depends on how I like the ap1. If the ap1 isn't to chunky in the scoring irons I might game a whole set of them. The trend on tour is more and more of mixed or blended sets. Go for it!

I was looking at some articles over the weekend and slightly leaning towards keeping the 712 cb's 3 - 8 and completing the set with Scor 9 - LW all I have read about these clubs are really good.

I was going to suggest that after reading all the posts to this point. It sounds as if the Scors would fit your bill exactly.

I was looking at some articles over the weekend and slightly leaning towards keeping the 712 cb's 3 - 8 and completing the set with Scor 9 - LW all I have read about these clubs are really good.

I think I am seeing a lot of "combo" in some full set offerings now, especially in the players irons. Some offerings already change the amount of cavity through the set like Mizuno MP-54's, TM Speedblades, and many others where the cavity changes and gets smaller or disappears at the scoring end of the set.

I would have a look at those options where the engineering is already done rather than spend the time building and adjusting a combo set to fit myself.

Yes I too have heard lots of positives about the scor wedges, they are a good looking and performing wedge. Here in new Zealand the new titleist don't come out till the 15th of November so will have to wait to see what combo if any I go with.

Hi. The SCOR wedges are very playable. The sole designs allow for the ease. 21 different clubs. 21 different lofts, 1 degree increments. They really help fill in the gap issues.
They are appealing.

I realize how #InternetGolfer this makes me sound, but I'm gonna try out this combo set deal - gonna slot my CMB 9-GW in with the CB3's. I feel like I've been missing right more with the CB3 short irons...probably just me trying to blame it on something, but hey I've got em lying around so why not give it a shot?

Everything is subjective. Play what fits your eye and your style. I play what works for me and pay little attention as to what others are using.

Everything is subjective. Play what fits your eye and your style. I play what works for me and pay little attention as to what others are using.

Agree totally. Who knows what will work and what won't, but I'll never know if I don't try.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back