Trying To Break 90 Club

Great thread! I recently joined the forum and came across this which caught my eye. I have enjoyed reading some of these posts and seeing how some others have progressed and finally broke 90. I have been in this boat lately. I started playing golf in August of this year, and I get to play once or twice a week most of the time. My last 4 rounds at my local course were 94, 91, 93, 91 (par 71, 36/35).

Last week I got out on one of the nicer days with little wind. The front 9 went about like normal. I had 3 pars, a couple double bogeys, and the rest were bogeys for a 44 on the front. The first three holes on the back 9 started the same; bogey, double, double. I tend to lose the ball to the right quite often, so I am playing out of the rough or worse normally. I also tend to hit the ball fat quite a few times in a round. On the next hole I made a couple small changes to my grip and swing and put it in the fairway off the tee ending up with a par. I focused on these changes and most of the rest of my shots ended up being in the fairway. I ended up shooting par on the next 5 holes and birdied 18 for a 39 on the back. I finally broke 90 with an 83, and it was an awesome feeling! I haven"t been able to play again since, but I hope I can soon to see if I can shoot under 90. I am having a blast playing golf so far needless to say!

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the awesome round, keep putting in work and you'll keep getting good results. Just don't get discouraged when things go sideways, because at some point they will, and enjoy the game.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the awesome round, keep putting in work and you'll keep getting good results. Just don't get discouraged when things go sideways, because at some point they will, and enjoy the game.

Thank you. I will keep playing and working at my game. I told some of the guys I play with; golf is the only sport I have ever played where I can struggle so much sometimes and still can't wait for the next time I get to play. I am definitely just enjoying it right now.

My swing reclamation project is in full force. Still unable to make everything click for an entire round or even half a round. I feel like a breakthrough is around the corner. I had a practice round yesterday. There was good and bad. Started with a chunk fest but ended with lots of really good swing and from a variety of lies in the fairway and greenside.

I need to do the practice round thing more often. Playing multiple shot from actual lies and various distances with defined targets is the best type of practice. Much more rewarding than working through a bucket or 2 on the range.

Still grinding.

You guys are p1$$1ng me off lol, your out there getting some work done while I'm out scrapping the windshield.

Weather has been awesome this fall. I'm in Atlanta so we actually have an offseason. The grass is still green and it's almost Christmas. No complaints.

We're having a cooler than normal and a couple of snow falls (melted pretty qwk). But I did see some die hards out on a course 15 mins from here, they were so bundled up I really don't know how they could swing. I'm resigned to a sim for quite a while.

64 degrees and sunny in STL so I grabbed lunch and then went for another 9 at the 2,650 par 35. Shot a 40 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys and a double. Two different rounds/courses, I know, but pretty damn pleased with the +5 41 on the back this morning and +5 40 this afternoon. Hopefully the weather will hold for a few more days.

*Edited to fix a typo

nice job ... btw, like you're handle - the 5150 is such a great amp (my #1 is an EVH 50w)

nice job ... btw, like you're handle - the 5150 is such a great amp (my #1 is an EVH 50w)

Thanks! Guitar is my other expensive hobby. Never owned a 5150 amp (I tend to favor smaller amps) but I'm a big Van Halen fan.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Had a really fun round and tied my PB with a 44/43-87. Wind was gusting 20-25 mph so I played from the front tees on any hole over 400y and the middle tees on anything under 300y just to keep it fun and not too frustrating in the wind.

1 birdie, 5 pars, 7 bogeys and 5 doubles. Two firsts for me: zero penalties and (correspondingly) zero lost balls. Never played a whole 18 with the same ball before.

The last three holes were very satisfying. I caught up with a threesome who invited me to join. They were playing from the middle tees so I did too.

One guy out drove me on 16 by about 25 yards then hit one to 18 inches for a kick-in birdie. I missed the green left and was short-sided on a down hill pin but got up/down for par.

He missed the FW on 17 and made bogey. I hit the green in regulation and two putted for par to pull back even with him.

He dropped his drive right on the 100y marker on 18 and I missed the fairway... but hit a nice gap wedge to ten feet. He missed the green and had to chip on. Two putts for par for me, two putts for bogey for him and I ended up one shot on him. Felt good to deliver when it counted!

Last edited:
Had a really fun round and tied my PB with a 44/43-87. Wind was gusting 20-25 mph so I played from the front tees on any hole over 400y and the middle tees on anything under 300y just to keep it fun and not too frustrating in the wind.

1 birdie, 5 pars, 7 bogeys and 5 doubles. Two firsts for me: zero penalties and (correspondingly) zero lost balls. Never played a whole 18 with the same ball before.

The last three holes were very satisfying. I caught up with a threesome who invited me to join. They were playing from the middle tees so I did too.

One guy out drove me on 16 by about 25 yards then hit one to 18 inches for a kick-in birdie. I missed the green left and was short-sided on a down hill pin but got up/down for par.

He missed the FW on 17 and made bogey. I hit the green in regulation and two putted for par to pull back even with him.

He dropped his drive right on the 100y marker on 18 and I missed the fairway... but hit a nice gap wedge to ten feet. He missed the green and had to chip on. Two putts for par for me, two putts for bogey for him and I ended up one shot on him. Felt good to deliver when it counted!

Awesome round 5150! Congrats on hitting your PB again. I was actually up in your area yesterday for my sons indoor soccer tournament or I was going to try to get in a round. This place was on the West side of Glen Carbon. Had a good day anyway watching the boy play.

Same golfer (me), same course - 87 yesterday, 101 today. It's a crazy game.

Same golfer (me), same course - 87 yesterday, 101 today. It's a crazy game.

Lol! I know how you feel. Late congrats on the PB 87.

Finally another round below 100. Working on swing consistency paired with new irons led to some good problems. I generally take the back-end distance as my guide for clubs (since most of us will come up short). I'm crushing these Apex irons. I left 5 greens. Even after I started to use Center distance, I was still long several times.

My home course is 37/35 and I posted a 48/49 for a 97. That tied a course best but was disappointing. The putter was really hot, but between hitting 1/3 of fairways and inconsistent distances with irons, I was saving bogie or worse instead of birdies and pars. 29 total putts with (8) 1-putts. 2 GIR. 5 pars, 4 bogies, 6 doubles, and 3 trips.

I'm hoping the weather people are wrong. It looks like mid 70s and rain for the next 7 days. I was hoping to get tons of rounds by years end. I still have time to hit my goal.

Personal best!

Disappeared early from work with a colleagues partner to play Tuesday comp. Played my best ever round.

45 back 9 which included a 7 on a par 4. Was ok but not great. 39 front 9, 3 over the card. As an 18 handicapper it was an unreal feeling. My lost shots were a 6 on the hardest hole (par 4) but for two points stableford still so wasnt too mad at least I was using my shots. And then a lip out on our 17th hole for bogey.

Total of 84, with 45 stableford points (including the one wipe) Was enough to win the day by two points. Never won a day outright on my own before.

STOKED! Just have to do it every week now...

Last edited:
Probably my final round of the year. Shot 90(44/46), 6 FW, 3 GIR, 31 putts. Started with a triple and ended with a triple...ugh! I hit some good shots though and drove the ball better than the 6 FW.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Moving in the right direction again. Put up an 89 today. 47/42. Was 3 over on the back until I got to 18. Hit it too well off the tee and caught cart path and bounced OB, then put one in the water rushing trying to beat the darkness and carded a triple. Ah well, such is life. Encouraging round nonetheless.

Well I am still following this thread and it looks like I am going to be playing tomorrow and my goal is 2 9s at a score of 45 for each. First time swinging a club since September.. Should be interesting haha

Didn't make it shot 46 and 46 for a 92. I felt really good out there for not having swung a club since the middle of September. I just left a couple shots out there and I would have been under 90. Happy with how I played over all, and I wore shorts and a golf shirt at the end of December!

Didn't make it shot 46 and 46 for a 92. I felt really good out there for not having swung a club since the middle of September. I just left a couple shots out there and I would have been under 90. Happy with how I played over all, and I wore shorts and a golf shirt at the end of December!
Way to go, Jesse. Not a bad score for not playing since September.

That's solid crest.

Way to go, Jesse. Not a bad score for not playing since September.

Thanks man. It played about 6300 yards and some solid wind gusts, I was happy with how I played. I just tried to play smart and keep the ball in play and in front of me. Swing felt pretty good especially with my irons. Had a few solid wedges shots and one that lead me to a birdie on a Par 5, take that all day!

Thinking some more about my round today I realized that the mistakes I made were definitely correctable. Lazy swings and poor I mean really poor alignment were some of the issues that I ran into to today.

One example, Par 3 playing about 155 to 160 to the back and I take 6 iron. Crush it but goes way long and left. It was a club and a half too long and due to my poor alignment was left of the green. I didn't hook it, I hit it straight but due to my poor alignment it was left of where I intended it.

I need to work on this part of my game and badly.

After a VERY mild December here in St. Louis it looks like our season is over. Some areas here had over 8 inches of rain in the past two days - including my home course.

They have three 9s there; one of which is nicknamed "The Bottom 9" since it plays in a valley around a river. That 9 is currently underwater... along with (unfortunately) their equipment shed. Sigh. It's the most rain they've seen at the course in their history (since 1972). It's a bummer to see as it's a family-owned course with a wonderful welcoming feel and friendly faces all around. Hopefully they're well insured and the equipment loss won't be too bad.

Here's the fairway on #1, complete with a new water hazard that requires a 350y carry:

1fairway.jpg

Back