Desert Club - Worth it?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
So with the Gauntlet coming to Arizona, the conversation has turned to the idea of a "desert club". If you are not familiar with the term, it's a club you carry in your bag to hit shots out of rocky areas to protect your clubs. Growing up in Arizona it's a common term and many people carry one in their bag. While for recreation its no big deal, but in a tournament setting a desert club constitutes a club, and players as we know can only carry 14 clubs in their bag.

That being said, is it worth it to sacrifice a club in your bag to carry a club you can essentially beat up to protect your set? Or would you rather just take your medicine and use your actual set to prevent losing a useful club in your bag to accommodate one?

Desert Club - Worth it?

I wish I had a "desert club" last time I played. Hit one errant tee shot on a Par 3 and hit a wedge out of the rocks. Tore the bottom of my club up.

Probably would have substituted a differs wedge into the bag.

Nope, not to me.
Now if you add a S, then yes, dessert club is always worth it.

Nope, not to me.
Now if you add a S, then yes, dessert club is always worth it.

Is a dessert club a dessert with bacon on it?

I am not in this but my personal opinion is I could drop a club and carry a "desert" club and still be just fine. for me i'd drop my mini driver and add another 6 iron.

I would use a "Desert Club" I've never played a round of golf that I could justify damaging a club.

I use two clubs exclusively out of the desert, so I do not have a 'desert' club.
Living here, it is probably normal wear and tear on irons to have dings and scratches on your clubs.

I think I would...probably a 4 or 5 iron. Trouble is what to drop, likely 4 hybrid and just manage with 3 & 5 hybrids.

I'm not going to carry one. If I do damage to a club, that's what I get for ending up in the desert in the first place!

I use two clubs exclusively out of the desert, so I do not have a 'desert' club.
Living here, it is probably normal wear and tear on irons to have dings and scratches on your clubs.

I think this is going to be my approach. My old G15 had a big scuff on the bottom from some rocky ground I hit out of in a tournament, so that became my go-to club out of junk

It's one of the reasons I think Ping irons are so popular, they take a beating better then most.

It's one of the reasons I think Ping irons are so popular, they take a beating better then most.

Or that they are from there...But definitely one of the two.

Or that they are from there...But definitely one of the two.

I don't think I will see anyone with a PXG desert club soon.

I don't have one, and I hit out of the desert pretty frequently.

I don't have one, and I hit out of the desert pretty frequently.
I'm with you on this one Paladin... does that make a majority of our clubs "desert clubs"??? Haha!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I suppose I have one. It would be the oldest wedge in my bag. By definition, it's still got a LOT of life left in it, but it would be my "desert club" if I was to designate one.

Problem with desert golf is even if you take an unplayable, most of the time you are still dropping in the rocks. I always take a crappy wedge that I am not afraid to get beat up. Sorry, but it sucks when you put a nice big gouge or nick in a new iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to the desert club for me. I carry a 15th club to do it. To hell with the rules, I'm not destroying a club.

I don't think I would use one. I can live with scuff marks ( they can be buffed out - sometimes) and what are the odds it would the correct one for the shot ?

I've thought about this for #TheGauntlet and will probably bring an old wedge with me but when the event starts I will probably play with my normal bag and hope to not visit the desert.

When I remember, I pack a Pitching Wedge as a desert club. I don't have 14 clubs as it is, so I don't lose a club. I use my normal PW when not in the desert.

IMO, clubs are too expensive to hit off of rocks.

My desert club was picked up for $5 at a garage sale.

I probably would add a desert club. I could drop a long club for a mid-long iron for in this situation.mi don't take on to many par 5a in two so seopping the longer club would just change my approach distance I want to leave

I have some good friends that live up in Prescott Valley. I take an old rock wedge with me every time I go up there to play Stoneridge. I just take my 4i out. I hardly ever hit it anyway.

So with the Gauntlet coming to Arizona, the conversation has turned to the idea of a "desert club". If you are not familiar with the term, it's a club you carry in your bag to hit shots out of rocky areas to protect your clubs. Growing up in Arizona it's a common term and many people carry one in their bag. While for recreation its no big deal, but in a tournament setting a desert club constitutes a club, and players as we know can only carry 14 clubs in their bag.

That being said, is it worth it to sacrifice a club in your bag to carry a club you can essentially beat up to protect your set? Or would you rather just take your medicine and use your actual set to prevent losing a useful club in your bag to accommodate one?

Haven't thought about that, something to consider in my gauntlet planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Utest

I'd go the desert club route and give up a slot. Wouldn't really miss my 4W ... as a matter fact I've already been discussing taking it out anyways and putting in a beater club that I'd use for punch shots, etc.

Back