Ping G series dilema

My Club Pro has Ping G20s and he fit me for the G25s. He plays scatch golf so my thought was if Ping works for him then Pings can work me. I went from a forged blade to the G25s and the Pings helped my game. At my course I see alot guys with game improvement equipment and no one cares a thing about it.

Good info! I guess its all in the mind. Im fairly new to the game and just want to make sure I do not cut corners. Im the type of person that likes to do things right the first time. I used to have the TM r7 draw clubs and they just did not feel right. Felt cheap to me. I hear great things about Ping quality and satisfaction so the Ping bug bit me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I went through the same thing. I was fit for G20's, played them and saw improvement. Started reading about Bridgestone DPC's and how forgiving they were and how good they looked. Convinced myself I needed them and went down hill. Went from them to a few other players irons because I thought "shovels" we're not cool. After several sets of players irons I found myself back at my G20's and play them best by far. I wish I could turn the clock back and save all the money I spent. G20's are not for everyone but if you hit them well when you swing well your improvement will come from swinging well more often. This forum is a great place for info but it is easy to get caught up in the great reviews about a particular club and convince yourself they are what you need when practice and lessons is really the road to better golf and the clubs you own if fit properly and pleasing to YOUR eye are more than adequate. This is MY opinion and others will differ for sure.

By no means will I ever become pro but I do not want to fool myself either if you guys know what I mean

The name of the game is to score as low as possible within the rules of the game. The clubs are an extension of that -- people should play the club that is legal that helps them the most. Even a pro wants to put the thing in his bag that allows him to score the lowest. If they thought that was a SGI club, they'd game it in a second.

The thing about SGI clubs is that they are more forgiving on mishits across the face and low on the face. The average player has a large percentage of misses (and I'd argue that is true for anyone shooting in the 80s or higher). The knock on SGI is that they often have hot spots which create inconsistent distances even on squarely hit shots. The average performance is probably better, but the absolute consistency isn't there. You can check out some of the hardcore testing sites for hard data that will support this.

Pros have a much more dialed in swing. Their strikes are typically within a small, quarter sized radius. They're never out on the toe, near the shaft, or really low or high. For them, the muscle back actually offers more consistent performance, particularly with respect to distance. The pros are better because of their dialed in swing, and that swing is dialed in not because they play less forgiving equipment. I'd argue a player in the 70s probably has that level of dialed in swing, so they may benefit from the consistency of a blade.

If you want new clubs, by all means get new clubs. I like new clubs and I like trying different things.

I just don't agree with the idea that a less forgiving clubs are going to make you a better golfer unless you are making that statement while shooting in the 70s. Even players in the 70s though can benefit from more help. For an eye opening reference, check out the Cleveland Altitude hybrid iron thread. You'll see a lot of guys who shot in the high 70s and low 80s with players irons seeing their scores drop when they switched to Altitudes (which are mega-SGI).

One last note, while a SGI club will reduce the sidespin on mishits, it is absolutely possible to bend the ball with them. That is merely a combination of swing plane and face angle at impact. I'm a complete hack, but can consciously slice or hook a ball almost at will, even with a SGI club. My problem is that 99% of the time I want to hit it straight, and I'm just not consistent enough at doing that. ;)

Great advise guys! I played 18 holes yesterday and really enjoyed the g15s. My buddy was playing with some old taylormade burners and he was so frustrated he almost threw them in the trash. So far they seem to be working decent for me.

Have 4- pw original ping raptures absolutely love them, also fairly recently got 6-pw ping I 20'S , equally great for me. For now on the course I use the rapture 5 and Pw, 6-9 I 20'S and a Ping G5 GAP wedge. Pings including the G series can be really good irons for many player profiles, not just high handicappers.

Back