Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Nice range thoughts Tbonafide! Interesting to hear that you started moving it left with these, that's the exact opposite of what I'd expect.

...man I hope I get mine soon!

Nice range thoughts Tbonafide! Interesting to hear that you started moving it left with these, that's the exact opposite of what I'd expect.

Ha, you and me both. It'll be interesting to see if those results continue.

Great initial range thoughts tbonafide!

With the GW, I wonder if you were maybe driving down and through the ball more with these grips? That *might* also explain the pop ups with the driver.

I tend to think the weighting definitely has something to do with it until you get acclimated.

Great job on the initial review tbonafide. I really like that you went with your most consistent club so you can get a feel for any differences with these grips compared to how you normally swing. I am going to throw these on tonight and use them Sunday morning. I am really excited. I had posted earlier that I would put the grip on the Cleveland CG Black but I was thinking this morning and wanted to bounce it off you guys. Would it be more beneficial to put it on a lightweight model like the CG Black or install it on the White Tie that is tipped for my Amp Cell and be able to compare 2 different shafts on the same head at the same time on the range?

Great write up man. I'm really intrigued to see if the improvements with ball striking continue or if like you said you were just having a better than normal day at the range. Keep up the good work!

Uh oh. I tend to pull left on occasion:disapointed: However, I could see some results with my driver.

Great job on the initial review tbonafide. I really like that you went with your most consistent club so you can get a feel for any differences with these grips compared to how you normally swing. I am going to throw these on tonight and use them Sunday morning. I am really excited. I had posted earlier that I would put the grip on the Cleveland CG Black but I was thinking this morning and wanted to bounce it off you guys. Would it be more beneficial to put it on a lightweight model like the CG Black or install it on the White Tie that is tipped for my Amp Cell and be able to compare 2 different shafts on the same head at the same time on the range?

Let me put it this way: I wish I had another stock R1 shaft so I could compare regular grip to JumboMax back to back.

Uh oh. I tend to pull left on occasion:disapointed: However, I could see some results with my driver.

Will be interesting for sure. I rarely miss right, so anxious to see what happens with these for a guy that misses left already.

Interesting to hear that you started moving it left with these, that's the exact opposite of what I'd expect.
This scares me a little bit. Ha.

Let me put it this way: I wish I had another stock R1 shaft so I could compare regular grip to JumboMax back to back.

I have a the stock Amp Cell shaft and a White tie. They are both cut to the same length and have given me pretty similar results. I think I will go that route just so for comparison sake. If they happen to have these grips at PGA SS when I go to tonight I will snag one and throw it on the CG Black also.

Range day today. Looking to see how these perform and whether I have the same results as Tboneafide.

Great range thoughts tbonafied. Interesting stuff there.

Nice job tbonafide. This will make working this weekend seem long. I hope I see the same results with mine Monday.

I am having great difficulty in understanding the benefits of these over other oversize grips. ARTHRITIS in hands, those may need big grips. If these weigh 110 grams that means they are approx. 60 grams heavier than a standard size grip, to me that is a big red flag concern. I would expect the following math to be accurate, Approx. 3 grams of weight added to butt area is 1 swing weight point. With a base point of 60 grams, then for example a driver that before installation of these had a swing weight of D3 would have a swing weight of B3 AFTER INSTALLING ONE OF THESE. I can't imagine that helping my game. I am a doubter of any benefits of these for me. I have large hands and use 4 1/2 wraps plus the grip tape wrap, on a standard size grip, don't care for mid size or oversize grips solely because of weight issues, but I could get by okay with mid size if I wanted to.
Granted I have not tried these, maybe some will love them, but a non starter for my pondering. In the end if these really can help some ones game that is a good thing.

Last edited:
I am having great difficulty in understanding the benefits of these over other oversize grips. ARTHRITIS in hands, those may need bigger drips. If these weigh 110 grams that means they are approx. 60 grams heavier than a standard size grip, to me that is a big concern, so I would expect the following math to be accurate. Approx. 3 grams of weight added to butt area is 1 swing weight point. With a base point of 60 grams THEN FOR EXAMPLE a driver that before installation of these had a swing weight of D3 would have a swing weight of B3 AFTER INSTALLING ONE OF THESE. I can't imagine that helping my game. Yes I am a big time doubter of the benefits of these. I have large hands and use 41/2 wraps plus the grip tape wrap on a standard size grip, don't care for mid size or oversize grips solely because of weight issues, but I could get by okay with mid size if I wanted to.
Granted I have not tried these, maybe some will love them, but a non starter for my pondering. In the end if these really can help some ones game that is a good thing.

All I can say is don't knock it till you've tried it. I haven't received mine yet, but I know that some of the testers are seeing very different results than what they anticipated based on the size of these. If you get a chance, take some swings with a stick that has one of these on it before you dismiss it.

I am having great difficulty in understanding the benefits of these over other oversize grips. ARTHRITIS in hands, those may need big grips. If these weigh 110 grams that means they are approx. 60 grams heavier than a standard size grip, to me that is a big red flag concern. I would expect the following math to be accurate, Approx. 3 grams of weight added to butt area is 1 swing weight point. With a base point of 60 grams, then for example a driver that before installation of these had a swing weight of D3 would have a swing weight of B3 AFTER INSTALLING ONE OF THESE. I can't imagine that helping my game. I am a doubter of any benefits of these for me. I have large hands and use 41/2 wraps plus the grip tape wrap, on a standard size grip, don't care for mid size or oversize grips solely because of weight issues, but I could get by okay with mid size if I wanted to.
I won't speak to the science of swing weights, but after installing these last night I picked up the AW with the JumboMax grip and my PW with the stock SpeedBlade grip to see if I could tell which is heavier. I held one in each hand, then alternated. Stupid test? Maybe, but I'll say the club with the JumboMax grip felt heavier to me although not glaringly. I'll be swinging them tonight, and have them in play tomorrow, so I'll try to pay close attention to what affects the heavier weight may have.

I am having great difficulty in understanding the benefits of these over other oversize grips. ARTHRITIS in hands, those may need big grips. If these weigh 110 grams that means they are approx. 60 grams heavier than a standard size grip, to me that is a big red flag concern. I would expect the following math to be accurate, Approx. 3 grams of weight added to butt area is 1 swing weight point. With a base point of 60 grams, then for example a driver that before installation of these had a swing weight of D3 would have a swing weight of B3 AFTER INSTALLING ONE OF THESE. I can't imagine that helping my game. I am a doubter of any benefits of these for me. I have large hands and use 41/2 wraps plus the grip tape wrap, on a standard size grip, don't care for mid size or oversize grips solely because of weight issues, but I could get by okay with mid size if I wanted to.

42 wraps???? holy cow man that is a lot! I actually think that 42 wraps plus a standard grip would be heavier than a midsize/oversize grip plus 1 wrap

42 wraps???? holy cow man that is a lot! I actually think that 42 wraps plus a standard grip would be heavier than a midsize/oversize grip plus 1 wrap

I think uman might have meant 4.5

Are any other testers still waiting for these to arrive?

Are any other testers still waiting for these to arrive?

I am. I'm assuming they're coming from the east coast, so takes quite a spell to get them out to us Washingtonians!

I've now gotten two range sessions in with the JumboMax grips. Both were quick lunchtime sessions, and I hit a small bucket each time. I focused primarily on the clubs that now have JumboMax grips, with a few shots interspersed for comparison.

About me and about my game

My golf history
Since it's time to talk about the performance of the new grips, I feel it's only fair for me to start off with a disclaimer about the current state of my game and swing. I was 20 when I played my first round of golf ever, and for about 16 years after that golf was just an off and on thing for me. I did not start off with any formal instruction, just pointers from friends. I often scratched and scrambled my way around the course a few yards at a time, beating myself up for the entire fraction of a minute that it might have taken me to walk to my ball. I dropped the game for a long time and left my clubs in the corner to collect dust.

A few years later a friend renewed my interest and I started playing again, but only once or twice a year. My interest continued to grow, and I started playing a whopping three or four rounds a year, on special occasions or for a fundraiser scramble. Then I found THP.

In the last two years I've started taking formal lessons, spending time practicing and learning about the swing, and trying to play more regularly. This year was the first time that I played a full season in a weekly league, and I played more golf this year than ever before. I also travelled to three THP Invitationals and one informal gathering, and I would say that they have had the most profound impact on my love for the game and on my desire to improve. I have definitely had some serious ups and downs, but the journey continues.

Current state of my swing
I'm currently on a serious upswing. A month ago I was almost ready to hang the clubs up again. Every iron swing resulted in thin, wrist-crushing impact. Spending time on the range was nothing short of painful and frustrating.

Enter Canadan.

My partner at the Bridgestone Championship helped bring me out of my funk with one simple tip that put me back on track. Arm extension and a one piece takeaway. It was not an instant fix, and I'm still working diligently. My typical shot shape for the Las Vegas weekend was either a low slice or a push fade. My shot trajectory since Las Vegas has been improving, starting out on target with a very playable baby fade.

Okay, enough about me... it's JumboMax time!!!!

I want to reiterate and illustrate something that I said about the feel of these grips in my initial review.
I think the best word I can use to describe how these feel in hand is stout. Even straight out of the package, you can tell that this grip has substance. Get them installed and back in your hands, and it changes the overall feel of the club as well. Even with a very light grip, the sheer surface area of contact makes it feel very secure. I gave the clubs a few waggles after getting the grips installed, and I definitely felt well connected and in control of the club.

To illustrate what I said about the surface area of contact, I took pictures of something that I noticed during my first trip to the range. With a regular sized grip, I saw that there is actually a noticeable space between my palm and the grip itself. It looks to me like my grip is located primarily toward my fingers. I would tend to think this would contribute to a poor connection to the club, and could lead to hand tension.

IMG_20131018_114155_zps108557a4.jpg

Here are two similar pictures with the JumboMax grip. Here that gap between my palm and the grip is gone. Both my palm and fingers are in good contact with the grip, and I feel like my connection to the club is secure and relaxed.

IMG_20131018_114122_zpsaf9f0daa.jpg

IMG_20131018_114136_zps6dc62289.jpg

On to some range results!!

Clubs tested with JumboMax Grips (Med)
Callaway Diablo Octane Driver, Diablo Edge 7I and PW

Clubs used for comparison
Regular sized grips - Callaway RazrX Black 3W, Wishon 979SS 7I and PW
Oversized grip - Callaway Diablo Edge 3H

Pitching Wedge
I like to start my range sessions with my Pitching Wedge. It's easy for me to warm up with it, and generally gives me a feeling for how the session will go. I hit a few balls to warm up before settling in to record results.

I can normally count on my PW to be fairly consistent. A slight push here and there, but not too much side action. I played to two targets at about the 100 yard range, aligning slightly left of each as normal. For the first time in a long time I had balls coming up left of target. Approximately 70% of my shots were coming up left of target. Most of the shots were high and straight, but some were even drawing a little bit. I adjusted my grip to be in a slightly weaker position, and had a few shots that straightened out nicely. I still had a mix of straight shots and some draws, even a couple pull draws. Distance control was a bit hit or miss.

When I switched to the comparison PW for a few shots, everything about the club felt skinny to me. It was like holding an alignment rod. But ... my grip was still nice and relaxed, and the shots resulted with a ball flight that was dead straight and on the target line.

7 Iron
Hello old friend. Where have you been?

As surprising as it was to have shots with my PW ending up left of target, my 7 iron was even more surprising. I had a friend at the range with me, and he was watching my swing from time to time. The first five shots with my 7 iron were some of the best that I've hit in a long, long time. Clean contact, a sweet compressed sound, and a nice piercing ball that climbs to its apex rather than shooting straight up like a wedge. Then things got back to normal. I may have gotten a little overzealous with a few swings and tried to step on the gas, resulting in a reappearance of the slice.

I stopped for a few minutes to refocus and relax. When I stepped back into the box, contact was good but I still had a little fade going. My distance was off for the most part, staying in play but well short of where I would have liked it to be.

The comparison club ball flight was again very similar to the club being tested with the JumboMax. I think that even though the grips feel significantly different, that there may be some muscle memory carrying over. I'll continue to pay attention to this as I test further. I may also try switching things up by warming up with the comparison clubs before switching to the JumboMax.

Driver
So far in the testing my driver has been very inconsistent. Of the 30 shots that I've hit with it in testing so far, three have been what I would consider outstanding (for me). The majority have continued to have a strong tendency towards the fade, and have been coming up severely short of where I would like. In fact, both my 3W and 3H used for comparison were consistently longer and straighter than my driver during these two sessions. There's still some work to do here.

Parting shots
I gave both my PW and 7I a parting shot before leaving the range. The first day it was with my PW. My target was the 100 yard mound. The ball started left of target and landed 10 yards off target, but kicked right and ended up within 5 yards of the pole.

Today's parting shot was with the 7I, and it was my best shot of the day. I targetted the 150 yard mound and expected to come up a bit short. It ended up carrying to the left side of the mound and kicking left away from the flag. Jaw-floor-smile.

Mishits
It's rare that I can say this, but I actually didn't have very many extreme mishits during these two sessions. There were a couple, and I think that the JumboMax grips performed well with them. I had two notable toe misses, which would normally feel to me like the club is twisting severely. With these grips, that sensation was very muted and the ball flight was still very acceptable.

Closing thoughts and takeaways
This may go without saying, but a sound connection to the club is a very good thing. It helps instill confidence. Until this testing, I had never noticed the gap that shows up between my palm and smaller grips. Now I can't help but feel it. This could be a primary benefit to anybody, regardless of swing style or shot shape.

In regards to my usual fade, I think that the JumboMax grips may be helping in two ways. I have a tendency to roll my wrists in the backswing, opening the club face and bringing it way inside and behind me. I think that the larger size helps to quiet that down some. Also, I think that feeling connected to the club lets me focus on swinging through rather than hitting at the ball. If I'm not focused on manipulating the club, I can focus on more important things.

Okay...so I had my first range session this morning with the JumboMax Small Oversized grips and I have mixed results. Now I know this is only the first time giving these grips the run of the mill so I will keep an open mind.

Prior to jumping into the review a little background about myself and my game. I have been playing golf for oh approximately 27 years now. I am self taught, never had a lesson, minus those your golf coach provided back in high school. My handicap is roughly 10.5 and I tend to play about 30 rounds a year. I have just started moving the ball from right to left over the past year. As I have mentioned in my previous posts I will be using my Driver (280-260 yds), my 8Iron (160-150), and my 60* (80 yds) for the testing phase.

Range Time:
I purchased 3 small buckets which equaled to approximately 130 balls, (Minus the 30 or so my son stole from me), that left for about 33.3 balls per club. I had one heck of a time cutting that last ball into 3rds. :D

I decided to begin with my 60 degree, as I do with every range session, and gripping the club felt not that different. The grip fit nicely into the palm. I decided to test some swings w/o using a glove first. Upon setting up for my first practice swing I noticed that all of a sudden I had a weaker grip (less knuckles visible on my top hand). This was most likely due to the size of the grip. For the past few years I had a tendancy to have a strong grip, resulting in that push or fade.

ubemeda9.jpg

amynyvym.jpg

The first couple of swings felt good and I felt as if I wasn't rolling my wrists as I tend to do with my 60*. However, as (Tbonafide) mentioned, the trajectory was about approximately 20 ft higher than what I normally have. Distance was about 10-15 yards shorter, but nonetheless online to my target. The next 20 or so balls I received the same results with a few thinly and fat hit balls. No biggie this was my first time swinging these.

On to the 8Iron. I must say the swings with my most dependable club felt good. My son even mentioned, "Dad you are hitting those well." I was able to start the ball about 5 ft right of the target and work it back on to the flagstick. So we whipped out the rangefinder, just to verify distance, and I was at about 170 yds. Picked up on average 10 yds. Out of the 30 I hit I only had one push, one hook, and one fat shot. Really impressed with the feel, the trajectory (which was my normal height, and the distance). I have always felt weak when I am pulling out an 8iron for that 150 yd shot. :eek: just to make sure the Wheaties I had for bfast werent the gain in distance, I whipped out my 8iron from another set. Nope I was around the 150-155 yd mark and back to the small fade.

Now the Driver...

CAN I SAY DREADFUL...while remembering this was my first time out. I was hitting hooks, slices, and everything in between. I can't even say one shot felt good. It either seemed the face was closed or open on every shot. I don't even want to speculate on Swing Weight or clubspeed until my next time out.

Conclusion:
All in all I am skeptical, but optimistic that these grips can improve ones distance and flight pattern. It may take a few rounds or trips to the range to see the full effect. The grips felt good in the hand, not to hard and not to soft. The tackiness was better than I expected. I tested these with gloves and no gloves...and I can honestly say when not wearing the glove I never felt the club was going to slip.

In the meantime I will be anxiously waiting the next time out. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday.

SharkHat, can you PM me prior to posting your reviews??? I now see I need to sit down in front of my computer to type these up vs Tapatalk with my daughter in my lap. :D

Great info, guys. Reassuring that others are seeing some of the same things that I did (re: I'm not crazy), but also noticeable differences.

It'll be interesting to see how our experiences progress. Especially with our Drivers, it sounds.

Also, I want Maynard's 170 yd 8i!

Back