KBS Tour FLTD Preview

I've got 3 rounds and a range session in on these now so it's time for some thoughts.

They're definitely all there, remember though we are dealing with full weight KBS Tour iron shafts but with a flighted aspect to them now, these aren't TourV or CTL weights.

They feel to me just like the Tour shafts too, which is a good thing since they originated the realization that steel shafts CAN have "feel" to them and not just be rebar. With that though, the long irons have been where my focus has been and the flighted nature is 100 percent there as I've had zero issues hitting the 4i and 5i to a high ball flight off the deck and tee with the 130's (X).

For those who like full weight shafts but want more flight out of the mid to long irons these could be an extremely nice option.

I love what I am reading. I like heavy shafts and now a set that offer a nice flight in long and mid irons, noice!

I will say i like the sound of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been hoping for them to do something like this for years, they definitely do what KBS does.
I love what I am reading. I like heavy shafts and now a set that offer a nice flight in long and mid irons, noice!
You'd enjoy the S+ I think, 125g

S+ combo' with the Apex, oh gawd!

I've been hoping for them to do something like this for years, they definitely do what KBS does.

You'd enjoy the S+ I think, 125g

I also like the heft. I need heft haha

S+ combo' with the Apex, oh gawd!

That's what I have in my apex pros and after each round I like them more and more

I also like the heft. I need heft haha

Having hit your old 545 with rebar on them (and hit them well) you'd enjoy the 130s. Bit flatter for me in the scoring irons, better peak in the long and mid irons.
That's what I have in my apex pros and after each round I like them more and more

Didn't realize you had the 125 FLTD in there, nice!

More thoughts on these as I'm starting to get info ready to put to the formal review.

1) Shaft reviews are tough because they are SO personal. With that it all has to be about do they do what they intend to.

2) They definitely do what they intend to do. I've had zero issues with the long irons and they definitely do have more launch to them than what I traditionally have gotten with standard KBS Tour's in the same lofts. Additionally, the 8, 9, P, G all do have a flatter overall trajectory to them comparatively, this isn't to say they launch lower than the higher lofted clubs but rather that they are doing well at preventing ballooning in the clubs that most of us launch the highest by nature.

3) They maintain the traditional KBS feel that came when the original Tour's came out, big win for these.

4) My only thing is I wish we had seen this in a Tour-V weighting (about 10g lighter per flex) as it would make them more accessible to those who need a flighted style setup, IMO. That said, maybe these will evolve into that over time, after all, IO never expected to see any type of flighted setup from the company (but always hoped we would!).

Thank you for the feed back so far... Like the KBS Tour shafts it will be available in 110 Grams, 115 Grams, 120 Grams, 125 Grams and 130 Grams to fit all types of golfers. Looking forward to your other reviews.

Regards

KBS FLTD shafts in 110? That sounds incredible

Thank you for the feed back so far... Like the KBS Tour shafts it will be available in 110 Grams, 115 Grams, 120 Grams, 125 Grams and 130 Grams to fit all types of golfers. Looking forward to your other reviews.

Regards
This is fantastic to hear!

I am liking the sound of these. Think I might have to put some in the longer irons and do some comparison range sessions.

More thoughts on these as I'm starting to get info ready to put to the formal review.

1) Shaft reviews are tough because they are SO personal. With that it all has to be about do they do what they intend to.

2) They definitely do what they intend to do. I've had zero issues with the long irons and they definitely do have more launch to them than what I traditionally have gotten with standard KBS Tour's in the same lofts. Additionally, the 8, 9, P, G all do have a flatter overall trajectory to them comparatively, this isn't to say they launch lower than the higher lofted clubs but rather that they are doing well at preventing ballooning in the clubs that most of us launch the highest by nature.

3) They maintain the traditional KBS feel that came when the original Tour's came out, big win for these.

4) My only thing is I wish we had seen this in a Tour-V weighting (about 10g lighter per flex) as it would make them more accessible to those who need a flighted style setup, IMO. That said, maybe these will evolve into that over time, after all, IO never expected to see any type of flighted setup from the company (but always hoped we would!).

KBS FLTD shafts in 110? That sounds incredible

My thoughts exactly. Having just put C-Taper Lites in my irons, I'll be watching these flighted shafts with interest.
Jman, any comparisons between these and the C-taper Lites?

My thoughts exactly. Having just put C-Taper Lites in my irons, I'll be watching these flighted shafts with interest.
Jman, any comparisons between these and the C-taper Lites?

Hey dude, sorry I just got time to get to this.

I played the CTL's in several sets for about a season and a half, big fan there.

Really different beasts though. Obviously there is the weight thing, but also the feel of the CTL doesn't really compare to the KBS Tour shafts (it was better than the CT, but they are different beasts from eachother too) as these have a much more fluid feel to them, and more than that the CTL launch higher through the set compared to these where in the scoring irons I see a much flatter overall trajectory which for me, is a good thing.

I'm impressed with how rounded out their line is becoming though, its impressive.

Regards

Hmm 110gr! Yes please! Thanks for the info

Perhaps the FLTD have a similar higher balance point like the Tours?

Still confident they make S+ in the Tour V's...

Last edited:
Perhaps the FLTD have a similar higher balance point like the Tours?

Still confident they make S+ in the Tour V's...

They are a variable setup, as with any flighted setup.

Also, not sure why the S+ in the Tour V matters here?

Additionally, perhaps this will help for the general curiosity about the FLTD shafts:
KBS_Tour_FLTD_Comp.png

The review on these are also being finalized right now, should have it in for editing by the end of the week and it will go up thereafter. That said, I have some more thoughts I will be posting in the next day or so for this thread as well. Simply put, they do what they are intended to do.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on these. I'm hoping they'll be in option in iron sets from OEMs in the near future - if that's the case they'll make my short list. I love the KBS Tour, but more help in the long irons would be fantastic.

My reasoning: I did like the low spin of the Tour V 120x, it was just a tad firm for me. I don't know why KBS did not fill the flex gap in the Tour V line with a S+ flex, this has me looking at the FLTD for a S+ flex

Do you have any info on the balance point of the FLTD shaft? , in relation to the tours...

IMO: FWIW: I found the higher balance point KBS Tour shafts built better for me with a SW D3+, as I would get flippy with a HBP shaft at SW D2 in under. I have this concern (for me) about the FLTD offering

What is the iron length & SW of your test clubs?

has anyone have these shafts pop up for them on the KBS fitter on their site?
If you have, do trust it? I keep getting c-taper lite in X. I don't hit anything in X.

Last edited:
KBS Tour FLTD Preview

Ok so having spent some time with DG Pro's these are definitely on the radar. completely forgot these were an option. Came back to the drawing board after 9holes this mornings with some notes but these seem to hit a lot of those points. going back to re-read it all. Love the flight on the long and mid irons of the flighted set. These have variable weight options which is nice. Maybe 125 S+ or 130x.

Last edited:
Ok so having spent some time with DG Pro's these are definitely on the radar. completely forgot these were an option. Came back to the drawing board after 9holes this mornings with notes some noted but these hit a lot of this points. going back to re-read it all. Love the flight on the long and mid irons of the flighted set. These have variable weight options which is nice. Maybe 125 S+ or 130x.

I have FLT shafts in my apex pro 16s soft stepped once. Definitely been helping with longer irons. Think you'll enjoy them.

I have FLT shafts in my apex pro 16s soft stepped once. Definitely been helping with longer irons. Think you'll enjoy them.

The DG Pro's I have now are progressive in the weighting. Definitely help the ball get up in the long irons which I enjoy. I'm thinking these in a constant weight for my SS and tempo would be nice. I'm embracing my swim as of late.

Back