What is the scariest thing you witnessed or happened on the golf course?

That time a shanked gap wedge almost got Mike G.

Seeing a mountain lion while you're on the course is about the fastest way to ruin your concentration for awhile.

hqdefault.jpg

Scariest thing ... happened to me when I was 4 years old. I was hitting balls with the kid across the street, he was 9 at the time, in the back yard. My mom was sitting on the front porch of our house and yelled for me to come home. I bent down to get the ball but I didn't realize that the kid was still swinging the club. BAM! Yep ... 5 iron to the side of the head. Didn't knock me out at first. I ran across the street with my hand over my head, blood pouring out, and passed out right in front of my mother. I was in the hospital for a number of weeks. The first surgery was to remove the broken pieces of my skull. The second occurred a year later (after my head stopped growing I was told) and they put a metal plate and about 6 screws in my head to cover the hole which ended up being about the size of a silver dollar I think.
There is a nice scar on the side of my head that was a great conversation piece when I was younger. It is very predominant when I cut my hair really short so I still get questions about it to this day. The only issue I have is that I get headaches on a frequent basis.
Isn't it ironic that I still play the game? So I got that going for me ... which is nice.

This isn't so much scary, but tragic. We were playing a tee shot over a pond and one of my playing partners hit a worm burner into the pond. The ball skipped once and hit a Canadian goose right in the neck. It's neck snapped and it's head fell into the water. I'd like to think that the fowl died instantly, but there was still some movement for 10-15 seconds. The guy was pretty upset, we all were actually. Crappy way to go. I'm not the biggest fan of these geese fertilizing a golf course, but nothing deserves that.

SNAKE! Two years ago I was playing by myself and lost a shot to the right. Walked into the alcove of bushes and when I turned around there was a big copperhead coiled up ready to ssssstrike. He looked like a pile of dead leaves and blended right in. I must have walked within 6 inches of him when I first passed him. I was standing there looking at him and I realized I still had to get back by him a second time because there was no way out and I didn't have a club in my hand or anything. Just went for it and kind of a hop/jump past him.

In 1994, 16-year-old Jeremy Brenno of Gloversville, New York, was killed when he struck a bench with a golf club, and the shaft broke, bounced back at him, and pierced his heart. Brenno had missed a shot on the sixth hole at the Kingsboro Golf Club and looked to vent his frustration by giving the nearby bench a good whack in retaliation. The fatal club was a No. 3 wood.

It was a teachable moment for my then ten-year old son about controlling emotions in general and on the golf course in particular. I Googled it just to be sure I remembered it correctly.

Playing a course outside Hilton Head a couple years ago, my eventual wife was driving the cart. We were pulling up to the green along a lake and in passed maybe 2 feet from a 6-7ft gator in the tall grass between the path and a lake, didn't see it until we were right next to it(I was too curious about how long of a birdie putt I had left myself). Played the same course the next week and there was no more tall grass along any water. Any time I'm playing a course down there since then I spend as little time as possible inside of 20ft from the lakes.

@MBurnham knows the scariest thing I witnessed on a course.

"Worst Shot of the Round"

@MBurnham knows the scariest thing I witnessed on a course.

"Worst Shot of the Round"

I think this should be in the "what is the most impressive thing you have seen on the course" thread.

I was walking to my ball and out of no where a golf ball took one bounce and missed my eye by literally an inch. I looked everywhere to figure which tee box it came from but I could not tell. This course had a few very elevated holes so it could have been someone way up high and didn't even realize. No one saw it and I was shaken up for a good while.

When vflashv icejacked Canadan on Devils Delight. I didn't know Canadians could get mad.

When vflashv icejacked Canadan on Devils Delight. I didn't know Canadians could get mad.
So he didn't handle it as well as sharkwrestler ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ugh... That sucked. Totally unintentional (i believe) but yeah, sucked.

I seem to be a magnet for that happening at THP events haha

Ugh... That sucked. Totally unintentional (i believe) but yeah, sucked.

I seem to be a magnet for that happening at THP events haha
JB about gets killed every event.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A pair of sandhill cranes got between my ball and the green my last round out. They got all squawky and dancy whenever I got near them. Nice to watch from a distance, but not so nice when they're 4ft tall and coming after you with a pointy beak

A pair of sandhill cranes got between my ball and the green my last round out. They got all squawky and dancy whenever I got near them. Nice to watch from a distance, but not so nice when they're 4ft tall and coming after you with a pointy beak

Youch! Hadn't really thought about wildlife as being scary, but certainly can be.

Teed off on #10 at the course I worked at in Alaska. Got about 100 yards from my ball, and a mama Moose and her offspring come out of the woods. I stopped the cart and told my partner "We'll just wait here yeah?" People on the tee box behind us weren't so thrilled, but I'd rather risk a golf ball than a mama Moose....they're HUGE!

Scariest thing I saw was at a course that is now closed when a couple of us were playing after work one day

It was a par 3 of around 160yds that ran along the edge of the course right next to a busy dual carriageway and he managed to shank not one, but 3 balls over the fence....how he managed to not hit anything at about 5pm I will never know

It could have been scary but was more funny for how I tried to avoid it when Preston tried to take me out on the 5th hole at our home course. He had put his tee shot into the left rough so I was on the other side of the fairway slightly further up so that I could watch his ball as the hole doglegs to the left and he was hitting over trees. I was stood by my trolley watching him swing the club and the next I know is his ball somehow pops out right about 2ft off the ground and then starts bouncing straight towards me.....part of me is not really processing the fact that a ball is heading towards me while another part of me is thinking about timing my jump to avoid it. Luckily it hit my trolley and bounced back a few yards and we both had a laugh about it for the rest of the round

I did consider making him walk home after the round for trying to kill me as I had picked him up that morning...... :alien:

Scariest thing I saw was at a course that is now closed when a couple of us were playing after work one day

It was a par 3 of around 160yds that ran along the edge of the course right next to a busy dual carriageway and he managed to shank not one, but 3 balls over the fence....how he managed to not hit anything at about 5pm I will never know

It could have been scary but was more funny for how I tried to avoid it when Preston tried to take me out on the 5th hole at our home course. He had put his tee shot into the left rough so I was on the other side of the fairway slightly further up so that I could watch his ball as the hole doglegs to the left and he was hitting over trees. I was stood by my trolley watching him swing the club and the next I know is his ball somehow pops out right about 2ft off the ground and then starts bouncing straight towards me.....part of me is not really processing the fact that a ball is heading towards me while another part of me is thinking about timing my jump to avoid it. Luckily it hit my trolley and bounced back a few yards and we both had a laugh about it for the rest of the round

I did consider making him walk home after the round for trying to kill me as I had picked him up that morning...... :alien:

Ive had similar, Course i play has a par 3 1st with a road to the left over some pine trees. You normally get parked cars on the road when the club car park is full. Last time im played with my brother in law, being a left hander, his slices are magiacally attracted to the road.
So, tees off and the ball soars magestically over the trees followed by the sound of Pro V1 hitting car and car alarm. if that wasnt embarrasing enough my bro-in-law blurted out "Oh s**t, my name was on that ball" just before a voice on the other side of the trees shouted his name out.

Scariest thing was said brother in law wearing his golf shorts in the summer......pasty skinned Yorkshiremen like us should be showing off our legs! :shock:

Scariest thing ... happened to me when I was 4 years old. I was hitting balls with the kid across the street, he was 9 at the time, in the back yard. My mom was sitting on the front porch of our house and yelled for me to come home. I bent down to get the ball but I didn't realize that the kid was still swinging the club. BAM! Yep ... 5 iron to the side of the head. Didn't knock me out at first. I ran across the street with my hand over my head, blood pouring out, and passed out right in front of my mother. I was in the hospital for a number of weeks. The first surgery was to remove the broken pieces of my skull. The second occurred a year later (after my head stopped growing I was told) and they put a metal plate and about 6 screws in my head to cover the hole which ended up being about the size of a silver dollar I think.
There is a nice scar on the side of my head that was a great conversation piece when I was younger. It is very predominant when I cut my hair really short so I still get questions about it to this day. The only issue I have is that I get headaches on a frequent basis.
Isn't it ironic that I still play the game? So I got that going for me ... which is nice.
wow, that's crazy!

wow, that's crazy!
Yep ... not many people can say that happened to them and live to tell it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A few years ago, I was playing in a scramble and was driving the cart up the fairway when a ball came out of no where and hit the frame of the cart, about 6 inches from where my head was. Someone sliced their drive and never yelled any warning that the ball was headed out way. The frame itself is maybe a square inch or two, so it was pretty scary how close a call that was.

Back