Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Oh man I forgot about that ha-ha!! I can be such a Richard sometimes, especially when I'm fired up.

It was like the friendliest trash talk ever. Watching you two go head to head, and embrace the Legacy was a joy.

It was like the friendliest trash talk ever. Watching you two go head to head, and embrace the Legacy was a joy.

Playing every match with ArmyGolf made it very special. We swapped blows Saturday, but we thoroughly enjoyed the true spirit of golfing with THPers. I didn't win a single point obviously, but I left there knowing I gain another friend.

Thanks for continuing with the updates and random thoughts. It's great stuff.

Playing every match with ArmyGolf made it very special. We swapped blows Saturday, but we thoroughly enjoyed the true spirit of golfing with THPers. I didn't win a single point obviously, but I left there knowing I gain another friend.

Ohhh...You wont a point alright.

Mike, thanks for that recap. I really enjoyed it. Well done.

So for the participants, what's next in your golfing life? I know the post event blues are real, but I'm trying to look forward to the next thing.

For me it's back to lessons, working on more swing change stuff to get a proper swing and more distance. It's crazy, before my lesson I was warming up with my driver on the launch monitor, just smashing away at the ball and watching a huge draw. My shortest was 211, my longest was 244. That's coming off a typical drive that topped out at 200 yds.

I'm working with my coach on getting my lower body engaged in the swing. Of course on the very first lesson, I'm suddenly bashing my 9i with 120+ yds of carry (my 9i was my 100yd club at Legacy). On the one hand it's disappointing that I didn't do as much work on full swing because I didn't want to be mid-swing-change for Legacy. On the other hand, hitting a club longer would have been nice.

My Legacy prep was a huge step forward for me in my golf game, but it was a huge step on a very long road. My goal now is to work on a swing change through the summer and hopefully keep these distance gains. Then in the fall combine that with what I've learned about strategy and short game and see how low I can push my handicap by the end of the year. I feel like rounds under 90 is attainable for me at this point, which would be completely awesome. I told my coach back in January when I started lessons that my goal was to consistently break 100 this year, shoot mid-90's next year, and ultimately I wanted to be a teens handicap. Thanks to Legacy, I've already met the goal of shooting under 100 several times, and I bet with some more rounds going forward the consistent mid-90's will be happening pretty quick. I'm fired up to keep improving my game.

Thanks
JB and GG-Thank you for the faith you put in me to captain this team in the inaugural event for the Legacy. Thank you for giving us an outlet to build lifelong relationships with people all over the world and enjoy experiences that NOONE else in the world anywhere gets to experience. It was truly an honor.
Ricky-I know deep down inside you wanted to strangle me for asking the same questions over and over in the last few months, but thank you for putting up with me. It was a blast riding alongside you in this journey and I enjoyed our time together down in MB.
Team Tradition- The quality of golf played at this event was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to none. I said it in the video but it is the stone cold truth. Both squads had worked their butts off over the last half a year, and it showed on the golf course. You guys were a blast to hang out with and spend some time with on the course and you should all be very proud with how you guys played.

True Blue/Caledonia continue to be a perfect backdrop and host for these kind of events. From the villa options, to the staff (much better this year) to the absolutely breathtaking courses, I would put this resort up against just about any other out there in the US as far as overall quality and experience. Not to mention just how much fun it was to sit on the balcony on 18 at True Blue and watch golfers (heckle) finish up their rounds.

Canadan-Thanks for stepping up without being asked. As selfless as it gets and you really did an awesome job with the updates, the marshalling and being the photographer. But most importantly thank you for being an amazing friend who has ALWAYS been there for me through the thick and the thin. There aren’t many people out there I can say the same about which makes our friendship even more special. The 3 hour chat Saturday night was worth the trip to MB and back a billion times over.

My 2 biggest fans: Hawk and Ddec. These guys reached out to me numerous times throughout the last few months offering words of encouragement and every now and then a little bit of wisdom, just 2 standup classy dudes I am thank full to call my homies.

My wife Laura: Whew its getting dusty in here. But THANK YOU for being you. You know how much THP, my friends and golf means to me and you have sacrificed a lot so that I can enjoy these things without ever asking anything in return. You have been with me now for 3 of these July Journeys and have continued to be my rock of support.

My Guys (in order from Last out to First out on Sunday)
Shakey-Old man, it was a pleasure to meet you. Your game appeared to have stayed solid throughout the whole process and that showed this past weekend. Very impressed with how well you played all around between all of the rounds and thank you for being the calming force for Patrick on Sunday. Next time you are in Ohio, bring the D200 irons and just leave them…ok thanks. Also if you happen to get to do this again someday, please bring more underwear as Im not a big fan of commando Sundays.

Lynchburg14-It was awesome meeting you Patrick. And for all the craziness of the Saturday afternoon round if you sit back and think about it you played some really good golf for the weekend as a whole. Thank for bringing the special “lemonade” and being a burst of energy all of the time (seriously it was all of the time, like is there a shut off switch on this guy or what).

McRock-Mr Rock. I had 0 idea what to expect golf wise from you in MB but you BROUGHT IT big time. The work you had done on your game was evident and it was awesome watching you battle back on Sunday for the win. While you had a very quiet and calm demeanor on the course, you could tell you were a very intense competitor and had the desire to do whatever it took to secure the win. Hopefully the Mrs enjoyed herself in MB, her one lines about Gregg and Jeremy not getting to “play all of the holes” on Saturday morning was EPIC.

Lightningbolt44-Ron, AKA Ronaldo, but his name is really Ron but Ronaldo is definitely a WAY BETTER GOLFER. Thanks for being patient while I awesomely waited til the last minute to book my flight. You played some REALLY great golf down there and battled through some stupid lessons to get your swing back. Im so sorry you were roomies with Gregg, that stench had to be gawd awful. See ya in Michigan in just a few short weeks J.

Greggdrews-My short game warrior. The display you put on between the tee box and the greens was nothing short of amazing. Im very happy you played so well down in MB and having teed it up with you before I knew exactly what I was getting when I selected you….fairways and greens for DAYS (and when it wasn’t a GIR, you just went ahead and chipped it stupid close). I know you were the butt of a lot of jokes…a lot, but you took it like a champ.

Rambler-The man of many talents, Hot Dogs, Pizzas, Dongalisa’s, you played really well after the slow start Saturday morning (stupid Brett and all of his dumb birdies). Thanks for helping with my victory lap around True Blue in your truck with my trophy. 2 HOF tags in a few weeks is pretty darn impressive. Hopefully we can tee it up again sometime in the near future.

Armygolf-Mr Curtis, Mr 14* with 8* launch. You REALLY turned it around from the practice rounds and played some stellar golf all weekend long. It was a blast hanging out with you and hopefully your wife wasn’t too creeped out from your internet friends. That D200 driver was a machine for you, take good care of it.

Cjgolf25-I said it to your face but I’ll say it again, what you did out there was something truly special. On this huge stage as a “high capper” you came in there and played the golf of your life. No matter what NEVER let anyone take that away from you. And not going to lie but it was cool to be in the car when you told your wife you were being sent out first, your excitement was genuine and that’s what it is all about.

My Guys-You guys were awesome. You did everything that was asked of you, you had one heck of a run and accomplished some amazing feats this past weekend. The work, the sweat, the grind and the emotions that come with something like this help dictate the kind of person you are and the legacy you helped to create.

If you made it through all of that, I appreciate the time you took to read all of this. I hope me and my guys represented this event like it was meant to be as I know for certain everyone involved gave it their all.
I personally…I left it all down there, everything I had, while it didn’t play, I have A LOT invested in this event. Winning was part of my legacy, but more importantly making sure my guys had a good time and fully embraced this event and all that it was about is what I will remember and cherish til the end.

I wanted to come up with something witty to wrap things up with but instead I found a cool quote from John Allston that I think just about summarizes my thoughts.
“The only thing you take with you when your’re gone, is what you leave behind."

#Captain441

Dude I would want you to captain any team I form. What a post. What a weekend. You may not have played during the event but damn you have created your Legacy

Sponsor Day:

After a good night sleep, 5 hours hahaha. I was pacing the floors, it's what I do. I knew relatively what was going to take place, but had no idea it was going to have me so excited. We arrived at the club house (holding pen), shot the breeze with everyone, you could feel the excitement in that hallway. Once we were released that short walk took for ever. A few photos, some shifting of bags, more photos, some light banter and all I could think about was getting after it with the clubs. When we were turned loose, I spent some time going through the bag. Looking at just how beautiful fresh irons were in that Nexus bag. My first impression of the bag itself when I picked it up to head over to the line. It felt solid, the loop handle just felt solid. I had told Canadan Thursday that I didn't plan on hitting many balls, yeah that didn't happen. Corey and Duffy were awesome, fielding questions, talking equipment, business, and any kind of tomfoolery we could come up with. Duffy settled in at the flightscope and does what he does best, dial in some of the best players in the world. Well we all felt that way anyway, let us have our moment hahaha. Once I got loosened up is settled into to see what the numbers were looking like, a few passes and he asked me to grab my wrench. No clue what he saw, what the numbers were, but I had complete faith. He removed the head and lowered me down to 8.0. Took a few passes, and I will say I hit a couple really deep, I looked back at Duffy and he just said, your good. I wish I had looked at the numbers just to get my internet golfer on, but I didn't just walked back to hit some more balls. I hit every club in the bag, many times. This is where I fell in love with the 2u. I was gaining confidence in that thing quickly. The wedges felt great, the irons were awesome. I noticed with the 3 wood I was hitting the ball insanely high. The driver was on point so I was quite happy with my selections. Going in I was skeptical of the upper end of my bag so I was really at ease after seeing the driver and 2u end up being really strong. I spent some time putting, getting used to the counter balancing and head shape. I struggled with ball position initially, but after a while I started rolling the ball pretty well. We settled in for some lunch, and in my natural form I crossed the team lines and broke bread with my brothers. We saddled up and headed out for a quick 9 with bags of awesomeness!

Good read! Thanks for posting the recaps!

Sponsor Day:

After a good night sleep, 5 hours hahaha. I was pacing the floors, it's what I do. I knew relatively what was going to take place, but had no idea it was going to have me so excited. We arrived at the club house (holding pen), shot the breeze with everyone, you could feel the excitement in that hallway. Once we were released that short walk took for ever. A few photos, some shifting of bags, more photos, some light banter and all I could think about was getting after it with the clubs. When we were turned loose, I spent some time going through the bag. Looking at just how beautiful fresh irons were in that Nexus bag. My first impression of the bag itself when I picked it up to head over to the line. It felt solid, the loop handle just felt solid. I had told Canadan Thursday that I didn't plan on hitting many balls, yeah that didn't happen. Corey and Duffy were awesome, fielding questions, talking equipment, business, and any kind of tomfoolery we could come up with. Duffy settled in at the flightscope and does what he does best, dial in some of the best players in the world. Well we all felt that way anyway, let us have our moment hahaha. Once I got loosened up is settled into to see what the numbers were looking like, a few passes and he asked me to grab my wrench. No clue what he saw, what the numbers were, but I had complete faith. He removed the head and lowered me down to 8.0. Took a few passes, and I will say I hit a couple really deep, I looked back at Duffy and he just said, your good. I wish I had looked at the numbers just to get my internet golfer on, but I didn't just walked back to hit some more balls. I hit every club in the bag, many times. This is where I fell in love with the 2u. I was gaining confidence in that thing quickly. The wedges felt great, the irons were awesome. I noticed with the 3 wood I was hitting the ball insanely high. The driver was on point so I was quite happy with my selections. Going in I was skeptical of the upper end of my bag so I was really at ease after seeing the driver and 2u end up being really strong. I spent some time putting, getting used to the counter balancing and head shape. I struggled with ball position initially, but after a while I started rolling the ball pretty well. We settled in for some lunch, and in my natural form I crossed the team lines and broke bread with my brothers. We saddled up and headed out for a quick 9 with bags of awesomeness!

I had a feeling you would love the 2U. Do you have the Kuro Kage in it?

I had a feeling you would love the 2U. Do you have the Kuro Kage in it?
Sure do, it's the X, but honestly dude it doesn't feel like a stout X

Sure do, it's the X, but honestly dude it doesn't feel like a stout X

I know. Doug from WS had it in his bag and Erky and I took a couple cuts with it and I loved it. The thing felt like a dream. And you're spot on about Duffy. Dude is just awesome. Absolutely knows what he's doing and does it for the best in the world. I've always wanted to tinker with the D200 settings because it's just habit but I won't just for the simple fact that one of the best fitters in the world told me to have it set this way haha love your recaps dude really great stuff

So I'll see if I can put some words together that make sense after a few days back to normal life...

To THP, Josh, Morgan and Dan: you all gave me the golf experience of a lifetime with this event and I'll never forget it. No lip service at all, this was the best golf-related experience I've ever had. Having the guys from WS and Bridgestone hanging around friday was a tour-level experience that not many people will ever get. You can tell they are genuinely nice people and care about expanding their brands, and treating people the right way, first class.

So Erky and I decide to drive up tuesday night to avoid traffic and not waste an entire day traveling. Seemed like a good idea, worked out alright but being awake almost 40 hours to start the trip was a little rough. It did make for us both passing out before 10 and getting 8+ hours sleep though. Arriving in Pawley's around 7am there isn't much going on, drove up the coast to pga SS and left a little money, picked up Cace from the airport then back to get our villa. Hung out a little while, hit a few balls, had a few beers with teammates then off to our first dual-team gathering. Great dinner, great company, nothing else necessary.

Thursday practice rounds with the guys were a blast as I've never seen either course so the experience was invaluable. Played our balls at TB, then at Caledonia mixed in some alt-shot to get a feel. Mixed up the teams for both, Ricky was rolling back and forth, it was like hanging out with lifelong friends.

Friday has been covered but the feeling of walking out to the range with a set of brand new clubs with your name on them you've been looking forward to for 6 months is pretty surreal. I might have been one of the last to unwrap or use anything, as I was a little in shock,and they were all so pretty haha. Spent several hours putting everything through the motions, and it's been said but it was basically like watching a bunch of adults run around on christmas morning playing with their new BB guns. Practice 9 in the afternoon with the new sticks then some dinner with the team.

Saturday morning I feel great, and oddly at peace. I was more nervous that I'd ever been but I knew the work I'd put in, and it was past the point I could change anything. Kevin and I were matched up with Curtis and Dan, and we drew the 1 spot. I actually hit the very first shot of Legacy, and to my giant grin, it was not a top or duff, just a slight push but got it out there 230ish. My hands literally did not stop shaking until the 5th hole, I don't know how I managed through, but hit some solid shots and the nerves showed as we were in an early hole. Curtis is long and solid, Dan is consistent and I don't think missed by much the first 14 holes. Kev and I struggled to a 4-down front 9 and I was stunned, this is not what I imagined at all haha. We all missed make-able putts on 10 and fumbled a half on 11. On 12 Kev puts his shot on the back of the green and rams a 25 footer in the back of the cup to give us some life. I remember telling him at some point that "let's at least give them a sweat" and damn sure we did. We made birdie on 14, net birdie on 15 then bogey won 16, AS match. Dan plays 17 perfectly getting a stroke and we go to 18 thinking birdie might give us a half. Hit a decent drive and stood over an 8 iron thinking birdie wins, and hit what I will call the best shot of my life... Under the circumstances trying to claw a half I put it inside 4ft, and Dan puts his on the green past the hole. Turns out we miscalculated HC's and Dan 2-putted for par to seal their 1Up win. I was very proud of the way we fought back to even be in position to sniff a half, and got some great quality time with Kev, Matty and Lee. I also got to chat a little with both Curtis and Dan's wives, which was really cool you guys had them for support.

Saturday afternoon Erky and I played Jeremy and Greg, the consistency brothers. Nobody really lit anything up and eventually they put us away on the back nine after we scrapped a few holes back. Nothing really clicked that round for us, not sure if the morning 18 was mentally draining, we got tired, or we were just flat out beaten, could be all 3. They played very solid and deserved that point.

After all that, end of the day we find ourselves only 1 down, and singles to go sunday...
Sunday morning and another good night of sleep, some jitters of course but ready to roll. I get to watch Cace and Kevin both put their tee shots out there solid and we're off and running, strangely I'm in a cart with Erky and we're matched up with Jeremy and Greg... stop me if you've heard this one haha. I win the first two holes after Jeremy has some bad luck, then a missed par putt puts him right back in it and I know it's a fight. We went back and forth, both hit good and bad shots, and had a lot of very average putting. We go back and forth on runs and I finally win 15 and put us back to AS with three holes to play. This is the scenario we all probably think about happening heading into a match and I'm feeling good. Miss another putt on 16 but no worries, 2 to go.

Now this is where things went sideways, and I don't want this to come off in any sort of way other than honesty, and in sharing what I was thinking at the time. Ricky pulls up and informs us that he was told Legacy is over, the competition is over and team Heritage has won and we need to pick up and head in. A little stunned I say I'd like to play and was pretty much told that's not an option. I can truly say that if we were told "it's over" and Jeremy wanted to concede to be done, or even if I conceded to him, I would have taken it better than just being told to go. I was looking at pictures of my two little girls the last few holes to stay calm, and the only thoughts I had when told to stop were of them honestly. All the times over the past 6 months I could have played with them, read stories with them, or just been home instead of being at the range or the course, and I felt 100% correct that the time I lost from them was worth another 20 minutes and 2 holes. Being told it basically "doesn't matter" hurt me deeply and I would guess the guys on the other team would have felt the same. I know the victorious team would have waited for all our guys to finish, and get the same chance to walk up 18 ending a match that they had, as most of them were still there celebrating 4 hours later after team Tradition played a fun 18 afterwards. Again, I feel terrible if me acting a certain way gave anyone a bad impression, or left anyone feeling disrespected, that was certainly not my intent. I absolutely see the other side of the coin, but I'm never going to feel like I was wrong in feeling the way I did, only if I handled it poorly. Our wives/GF’s were 99.9% understanding and itmeant the world, couldn’t have been there without them and their support.

Watching team Heritage celebrate was awesome, they were so overjoyed it was great to see. They outplayed us and flat out deserved to win. These are not only quality golfers but quality human beings and I'm proud to now know them. Anytime any of you guys want to tee it up you know I'm in before you ask. The guys on my team, I've pretty much said everything to each of you, but I'm damn proud of you all and honored to know you. Ricky, I'm bummed we couldn't bring you home that trophy but I know it's not for lack of effort or heart. In these events it seems there's always some worry of people not putting in the time... I can say for a fact without a shred of doubt, the 16 guys and 2 captains, as well as Josh, Morgan and Dan gave of themselves until they were empty to make this a great event. Thank you all for the time of my life, memories I'll never forget, stories I'll always share, and feelings I'll always treasure.

Dude I would want you to captain any team I form. What a post. What a weekend. You may not have played during the event but damn you have created your Legacy
Thanks dude....having a great group of guys involved made life pretty easy

Having lunch inside the clubhouse at Caledonia just feels right.

Part 1 now and Part 2 (thank yous) later tonight.

Man where to start with this. I drove down Thursday morning at got to Caledonia for the afternoon practice round. It was nice to finally meet the rest of the team and see this gorgeous course. I played with McRock and had a blast as we played some interesting golf I guess you could say. When the round was over we headed back to the villas for showers and pizza with the Captain. There we enjoyed some stories drank some alcohol and watched Naked Dating. The guy had the best looking hair on earth hands down. Pretty sure someone commented that his hair was better than the woman’s.

Friday: I woke up at 5:25 when I did not need to be at the course till 8:30. Why did I wake up at 5:25, well a certain CJ aka the other half of team Napoleon decided to let everyone on the forum know he was up and ready. Well it was all good because honestly I did not sleep much that night anyhow. I meet the rest of the guys at True Blue where they were eating breakfast and we waited to escorted out to the practice green. I was able to sneak a peak of the set up as I was walking around the pro shop looking out the window and it was better than finding any Christmas present early. Finally the time came and we were lead out to the promise land. There JB went over some words that I could not tell you what was said, the ADD kicked in. There we meet Corey and Duffy who I had the pleasure of talking in length to later in the day over dinner.

The clubs: As we went through the bags looking at the clubs and finding other cool goodies that were given to us it all started to sink in. I was the last out to the range as I took my time going through everything and sending pictures back to my buddies. There response was a big “F you, you lucky SOB” followed by “try to hit them better then your old sticks”. Damn I have some good friends. I think I hit about 15-20 balls with every club in the bag. Driver was the one I struggled with the most as I was trying to find the right set up. After several attempts with no luck Ron suggested the magic formula. I then went to the putting green to try out the new flat stick. It felt heavier than my current putter and I did not feel great with it. Gregg had the true balance and said that he wished he had gotten the steal shaft. So I offered him to hit some putts with mine and I would try his True Balance. Well I made the first 6 footer, and then put two more just on the outside of the cup. Gregg made hit putt too and it was all over a trade had been made. We wrapped up and headed inside for lunch before the practice round. Here I made a trade for my Wilson Staff belt buckle for some UA belts with Kevin.

Practice Round: I was hitting the driver great and this was my first time out on True Blue. CJ and I took on Ron and Gregg in best ball and not sure whom won but I know I shot a 40 and Ron shot a 39 so it was fun. On 16 the other closest to the pin I hit last in the group and was around 10 feet I guess or a little closer and won the wedge. That night at dinner CJ and I sat with Duffy and Corey where we had some great conversations about golf, sports, and a lot in between.

Saturday: CJ and I took on Dave A and Fairband. It was a great match that went to 18 only after we screwed up counting on 17 and had to drive back. Well first of all Dave A you had some good shots man and your game is on the right track. Fairband you brought your game and that short game made me use a few choice words all day. I enjoyed playing with you both. Well our match went back and forth with CJ and I pulling away on 16. I made a big par putt and then we pushed again on 17 after Fairband hit another great chip shot and 2 putted. 18 is a fuzzy memory but I know CJ won the hole. In alt shot McRock and I threw up a giant goose egg. We both could not hit very many good shot. I let my energy and competiveness get the best of me and could not settle back down. I regret being the intense but sometimes I can’t help it. To the put the round in perspective for those who could not see it, my best shot was a left handed backwards 5i that I punched out of the woods back into the fairway. After dinner we went out for ice cream where my captain refused to let me and CJ get some FroYo. The Mango Sunrise was calling my name. We then went back and had a putting contest since as a team we sucked it up, it was aired live of periscope and complements of room 9i

Sunday: Was just a great day between me and Martsy. We battled back and forth every hole and keep switching the lead. He hit some good shots and so did I and that is what made it so much fun. We ended on 16 with another push after both making pars because Team Heritage had won. I was currently 1 up with 2 holes to go and him getting a stroke on each hole. It would have been fun to finish. I am sure we will get a chance a little closer to home. Pulling up to 18 and seeing how happy everyone was, was a great feeling. The best part was not getting the trophy or the hugs from my teammates but seeing the look on Mike’s face. He was beyond excited. The rest is a blur until I had to get back on the road home later that day.

man I forgot Saturday ice cream, talk about a packed house

those locals were like WTF man lol

when we rolled in she said that was the most people they ever had in there....and then add another 20-30 locals and you had a party

when we rolled in she said that was the most people they ever had in there....and then add another 20-30 locals and you had a party
we didn't realize until the very end that the poor girl at the register actually worked next door at the pizza place and just came to help haha

Part 1 now and Part 2 (thank yous) later tonight.

After dinner we went out for ice cream where my captain refused to let me and CJ get some FroYo.

What a jerk, right!?

we didn't realize until the very end that the poor girl at the register actually worked next door at the pizza place and just came to help haha

it would have been fine until Bret opened up the floodgates ordering a milkshake

To the put the round in perspective for those who could not see it, my best shot was a left handed backwards 5i that I punched out of the woods back into the fairway.
Dude, that was an incredible shot. I'm pretty sure you were so deep in the woods there we couldn't even see you.

it would have been fine until Bret opened up the floodgates ordering a milkshake
Hey, we had it on good authority that Saturday night milkshakes are part of the winning formula.

For whoever goes to MB next, it's apparently Saturday night SONIC milkshakes. If you go to the ice cream place, get ice cream.

Back