Relationship W/ Nature Disappearing

For sure. My son will start hockey this fall and for the most part I think we do a decent job of getting them bundled up and outside. School is pretty good about getting them outside in the winter as well. It is a tough balance for parents as is just isn't as safe as it once was to let your kids just go out and play. We are very lucky to have a neighborhood like that now and it is one of the big things we look at when talking about moving somewhere else. The ad just makes you stop and think as a parent. I do feel bad for some of those kids in the video.
Oh awesome, freaking love hockey! I do like that schools are pushing (at least from my experience) daily activities even in the winter. Ill agree the world can be a sick place and i worry without even having kids haha. I can't blame parents for being protective but hopefully like you, others can find a balance. Don't get me wrong i LOVED video games growing up but like we're discussing moderation is key. Lets stop talking winter before it strikes us in the a$$!

When I was a kid on the only entertainment was outside ... there was no such thing as computer games, and TV only 3 channels with limited programming for a kid ... so a different time all together ... I am glad to say my grand kids never miss a chance to get outside and play ... most of then time it is me saying its too hot ... :(

This is always the discussion point, but all factors show violent crime, including crimes against children are at their lowest point in decades.

What changed was how easy we have access to information. That and the news stopped reporting and started sensationalizing in an attempt to compete against other forms of entertainment.

the vast majority of kidnappings are in custody/divorce situations. your child has a much better chance of dying in an airplane crash or being struck by lightning than being taken by a complete stranger. obviously, it does happen (and people do get struck by lightning) but the media has hyped this so that we have altered our lives (and our kid's lives) dramatically and needlessly. just food for thought.
Agreed. Though there are some areas that just are not safe for anyone, but that has always been the case. I also think that the hype creates copycats looking for their 15 minutes (theater/school shootings).

Very sad but also very thankful my wife and I made pledges long ago to not let our kids be Consumed by these exact things

I grew up in the 90s, when crime was much worse than it is now, granted I was in a relatively safe suburb. But we were outside now stop. Everyday after school we would rush to finish homework so we could get outside to play whatever sport was on TV at the time. During summer we swam and played manhunt at nights. Alot if us had video games, but those were mostly for rainy days or when no one could play.

Oh awesome, freaking love hockey! I do like that schools are pushing (at least from my experience) daily activities even in the winter. Ill agree the world can be a sick place and i worry without even having kids haha. I can't blame parents for being protective but hopefully like you, others can find a balance. Don't get me wrong i LOVED video games growing up but like we're discussing moderation is key. Lets stop talking winter before it strikes us in the a$$!
I remember as a kid being dropped off a local pond during the winter for pond hockey. We skated and played hockey for hours until we were frozen.

Parents even got us in cross country skiing, but we didn't take to that. :)

nice video...in most neighborhoods around here i don't see any kids out playing, i don't see any at the basketball courts like we used to do.

I agree. We were just talking about this at work. Kids are stuck to their iPad/iPhones etc.

It is very sad and true, the youth these days are all about IPhone and IPad or tech in general. I take my son to the local national park here we enjoy watching the swans and racoon's ect. It was always a great learning experience for him which he really likes. It gets us outdoors enjoying nature and learning. Win win.
df4b2c472384154262bd011631f923a6.jpg
2ba950050f6a10c48ea33f969ee787dc.jpg
7377d1eafe5fdf053e01d2f019bc07e7.jpg
9f073b321b32187b1bdd38df9d126de9.jpg
. You cannot beat that

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Definitely true. Being 27 I grew up in the Nintendo 64/Playstation 1 era. I will tell you that looking back I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing it, but I still played outside alot. The current children I feel don't play outside at all. It is sad. Also the parents are at fault for letting it happen. When I have kids they are not allowed to have a cellphone until they get in high school

I use to walk 5 miles a day bare footed to the bus stop in freezing snow :D

Being the age where technology first started to get big, I am now 24, I am happy my Dad never allowed me to sit inside all the time. I had older brothers and neighbors to play sports with outside. Even today I would rather fish/hunt/golf/bike/snowmobile than sit inside.

During Michigan winters I tend to stay on my laptop or play video games more frequently.

I use to walk 5 miles a day bare footed to the bus stop in freezing snow :D

Wow, I didn't think the internal combustion engine had been invented back when you were in school. Learn something new every day. :)

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Back