Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

I got some nice work in at the short game practice area (side note - I love how a little weather keeps people at home and you get facilities to yourself). I wasn't money on my distances but given how bad I've been in this area recently that really wasn't the goal. I just wanted to work on grooving the rhythmic finesse swing and repeat it enough that I started get thing some muscle memory. On that front, mission accomplished.

Nice job Frank. At the least, you'll know you can make good contact and get the ball on the green. You can refine the distances over time.

The 730 shots are the hardest for me. I just have a hard time with such a short back swing. I get this eek and jerk thing going

What fixed me at 730 is to point the face to vertical and think smooth. Practice it for a few andbit gets much easier to excute.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Finesse swing felt good today. Byproduct of the step drills I've been doing is they help me get a good feel for turning back and through on the Pelz swing. Result was higher than normal ball and more spin than I've seen recently.

Finesse swing felt good today. Byproduct of the step drills I've been doing is they help me get a good feel for turning back and through on the Pelz swing. Result was higher than normal ball and more spin than I've seen recently.
It's a magical feeling when the short game is firing in all cylinders. It really frees up the rest of your game IMO

The best feeling is when you are out 95 yds. And know that birdie is on the table. And you know you can put it tight.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

My distance control has flat out sucked lately. Really, my entire game inside 100 yards has sucked. Maybe as bad as it's been in 18 months. It feels that way at least.

7:30 swing isn't carrying nearly as far as I'd like, though it's often rolling out to my desired distance. Still, not happy with that at all. I do expect roll on that shot most of the time, but it's not the same as it was. Trajectory is too low and contact sucks.

The 9:00 is all effed up. I think I'm translating some of the lag that I'm trying to build in the full swing unintentionally, and I'm either long or short or my contact sucks. Finally got it all together last Sunday after awhile and really started hitting some good shots, but I'm still feeling pretty blah about it.

Work to do, but struggling to find time for it.

My distance control has flat out sucked lately. Really, my entire game inside 100 yards has sucked. Maybe as bad as it's been in 18 months. It feels that way at least.

7:30 swing isn't carrying nearly as far as I'd like, though it's often rolling out to my desired distance. Still, not happy with that at all. I do expect roll on that shot most of the time, but it's not the same as it was. Trajectory is too low and contact sucks.

The 9:00 is all effed up. I think I'm translating some of the lag that I'm trying to build in the full swing unintentionally, and I'm either long or short or my contact sucks. Finally got it all together last Sunday after awhile and really started hitting some good shots, but I'm still feeling pretty blah about it.

Work to do, but struggling to find time for it.

Do u think its a lack of practice on the short game or have u continued your regiment from the summer into the fall?

Definitely lack of practice. It dropped significantly when the boy started school and we changed our schedules.

When I get that low ball flight I usually have leakage in one or more of the basics.

Maybe take a look at the fundamentals: ball position, dead hands (grip), no tension against the lower body in the turn, rhythmic swing, world class finish.

I do believe I have zero of those things working at the moment lol. You're right though. Back to basics.

Definitely lack of practice. It dropped significantly when the boy started school and we changed our schedules.
I find the Pelz swing is a definite candidate for practice at home without hitting balls...you can dial in the three backswing lengths and world class finish to retain that muscle memory. The great thing here is that you only need one club for this type of practice. When I'm not lazy I do maybe 10 swings at each time, trying to focus on those fundamentals.

Hell, I can hit balls with it at home too :)

yeah same here man, I worked hard up to MC, short game was decent, and now im not practicing and barely playing its all a pile of garbage

On to 2014!!

I let my short game work go too....I really need to get back to it

yeah same here man, I worked hard up to MC, short game was decent, and now im not practicing and barely playing its all a pile of garbage

On to 2014!!

I let my short game work go too....I really need to get back to it

It's easy to do, especially if you're working on the full swing. Gets overlooked and you don't think about it until you can't hit a good shot from 90 yards and miss the green like a moron.

It's easy to do, especially if you're working on the full swing. Gets overlooked and you don't think about it until you can't hit a good shot from 90 yards and miss the green like a moron.

Yep that describes me perfectly.....LOL

Yep, so true. I am bad at this too. I need to remember my own tip from earlier in this thread - use the first 20ish balls at the beginning of the bucket to do Pelz swings and warm up. Two birds, one stone kind of thing.

It's settled then. Let's do it.

I got new wedges. My setup now goes 46/50/54/58 instead of 45/50/55/60. I didn't think 1 or 2 degrees would make that much of a difference. But the gaps between clubs were definitely tighter. With those tighter gaps I'm going to need more time with this to really dial in the swing and distances.

Question for those of you who maybe don't have the full swing you once did...what do you do about the full swing vs. the 10:00 swing? Do you adjust technique to make it a Pelz swing or do you take your normal full swing?

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

I got new wedges. My setup now goes 46/50/54/58 instead of 45/50/55/60. I didn't think 1 or 2 degrees would make that much of a difference. But the gaps between clubs were definitely tighter. With those tighter gaps I'm going to need more time with this to really dial in the swing and distances.

Question for those of you who maybe don't have the full swing you once did...what do you do about the full swing vs. the 10:00 swing? Do you adjust technique to make it a Pelz swing or do you take your normal full swing?

I have a 10 swing as well as a full swing.

To me that's the whole idea of the swing he teaches.

Oh, and I go 46/50/54/60

Wasn't sure about the gap between sand and lob but it seems to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I mean is that my full swing isn't much more (if at all) than a 10 o'clock turn anyway.

Sorry Frank, I don't even bother with that swing.

Adjust to make it 3/4 of your normal swing then 1/2 and 1/4 of your normal swing. It doesn't matter as long as it's repeatable

I happily had the entire short game area to myself and was able to work on Pelz. It was like I was subconsciously hitting to a target regardless of distance. I'm not exactly sure what was going on. 7:00 58* was like 43 yards, 9:00 58* was like 52 yards and 7:00 50* was about 55 yards. This isn't exactly what I've seen at the range off matts. I'm getting confused on distances.

Back