UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Prototype

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
During my UST Mamiya full fitting experience in Dallas, Texas a few weeks ago (Click Here for full recap) I was fortunate enough to have 3 Recoil wedge prototype shafts fall into my lap thanks to expert UST Mamiya fitter Danny Le.

Don't know much about the shafts other than they are similar to it's Recoil brothers with some added softness.

Look forward in getting these wedge shafts to the course and giving them a good workout!

Recoil wedge shafts were installed into the Cleveland Rotex 2.0's (52, 56 and 60 degree)

IMG_1213_zpsknmm2t2a.jpg

IMG_1214_zpss6vnxnb1.jpg

IMG_1215_zpslu58d7gr.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsi5hnegxi.jpg

IMG_1222_zpsvy3ktmb5.jpg

Round 1 - Frisco Lakes

Played yesterday with #cookie, BigTex and TexasHacker in what was a very sunny but windy day (20-30mph). Last week this area got pounded with 2-5 inches of rain in parts so it just wasn't dry enough to keep the carts off the paths.

It was a very weird day for me with the wedges. I started with a 50 yard bunker shot in a soaked bunker, another 20 yard wedge shot in mush and a flop shot attempt with very little grass off wet dirt. Needless to say, none of those shots ended very well. I'm a digger with my wedges and quickly realized my normal would not work in these conditions till it dried out a bit.

The other weird part to the day was that every time I would end up 90-110 yards out (normal wedge shots) it would be into the wind where I needed to call upon my PW. I hit more PW shots yesterday than I ever have (6 into greens).

By the 3rd hole I started closing up the blades on chips and putting the ball way back in my stance to ensure ball contact first. Much better wedge shots that got me 10-15 feet around the hole. Had a few bunkers shots with the 60 degree that came out real nice. Just didn't make many putts.

Finally by the 16th hole I found a 105 yard shot with a cross wind so hit my 52 degree to about 15 feet. Next hole was 60 yards out and knocked my 60 degree to about the same.

Initial thoughts, while on very limited shot input, was that these Recoils seemed to be much "softer" than my old steels. I know that is becoming a cliche when these shafts are spoken about but I did feel the difference. This is what I was hoping for, a softer feeling at impact. No hitch, no delay feeling after impact. A nice control feeling that I want with my wedges on full shots.

Still a limited sample size after round 1 but very excited about taking these to the next level. I need a few more rounds to explore but I'm getting a sense that I can work the ball around a bit more than before. We shall see.

Last edited:
Like all recoils, they look fantastic.

I may have just not seen it in the pictures, but what is the weight of these? And what is the weight of the recoils you received for your iron set?

Ooohhhh, pretty pretty. Don't be shocked if I swing these tomorrow.

I may have just not seen it in the pictures, but what is the weight of these? And what is the weight of the recoils you received for your iron set?

They put the Recoil 125 F5's into my Srixon 745's. Danny didn't tell me much other than they should be a little softer at the bottom. I'll follow up with him a little later to get more details.

Awesome stuff, Nate. I like the way they look and look forward to seeing your feedback. Initial questions: what's the weight here vs the stock shafts (Cleveland typically goes stock heavy, right)? What playing features is UST looking to accomplish with this product?

That's freaking awesome Nate.

They put the Recoil 125 F5's into my Srixon 745's. Danny didn't tell me much other than they should be a little softer at the bottom. I'll follow up with him a little later to get more details.
I'm not sure it's specifically all that important. I was more curious at the transition from your iron shafts to wedge shafts--as I've become accustomed to playing the same shafts throughout my own irons and wedges.

Awesome stuff, Nate. I like the way they look and look forward to seeing your feedback. Initial questions: what's the weight here vs the stock shafts (Cleveland typically goes stock heavy, right)? What playing features is UST looking to accomplish with this product?

I'm not sure it's specifically all that important. I was more curious at the transition from your iron shafts to wedge shafts--as I've become accustomed to playing the same shafts throughout my own irons and wedges.

I had the KBS Tours in my wedges before. Danny added a little weight to each shaft so they matched pretty close to the weight I had before.

Those look amazing Nate, hit 'em well buddy!

Wow those look great! Can't wait to see how they play for you. Any idea on how it's supposed to help generate spin?

Man this look amazing Nate. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Wow those look great! Can't wait to see how they play for you. Any idea on how it's supposed to help generate spin?

No clue my man. But will compare to what I was seeing with the old shafts.

Anyone have any comparisons of the recoils vs. aerotech steel fiber?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Well if one of these goes missing tomorrow it wasn't me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post updated with Round 1 input. Weird but interesting day.

They are 128g, just a shade heavier than the stock Recoil 125 F5 wedge shaft.

Danny

I've been dreaming of replacing the KBS in my MD3 54° and I really am interested in some 'good conditions' reports from this setup of yours.

Great stuff so far, Nate! :thumb:

They are 128g, just a shade heavier than the stock Recoil 125 F5 wedge shaft.

Danny

Danny, how are these different from the High Spin Wedge Proto shafts from about 5 years ago?

Went out to the range last Friday to hit a few shots, but mainly was there to work on some putting. I did end up with a bucket and hit a lot of 52 and 56 wedge shots. It was damp, misty and just sort of nasty out so was in my hurry up offense getting through the bucket.

By the end I had a very straight and high ball flight going with full wedge shots. I then spend the last few hitting the 56 degree with some half to three quarter swings that I was catching very well.

It was a quick session but a good one as I continue to establish good contact with each shot and the confidence grows. Plan to play this Friday afternoon and then again next Friday in a scramble so should have lots of wedge chances there.

RyanLovesGolf - I'm sure Danny will head in here and address your question.

This seems like this is as good a thread as any to post this. I was able to take those new Miura wedges out to the range today with the recoil shafts and try am out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back