Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

It was comments like yours that lead me to try these irons, and this is why I was surprised I didn't like them. Sometimes it can be difficult to describe exactly how an iron "feels" on impact but what I am looking for is really a combination of factors. I hesitate to go into this because it can be very subjective and I really think the conversation is better served by comparisons so another person can actually experience a difference of opinion for their self. This is why I mentioned the PSi irons.

I do agree with you about the looks, and I'm sure performance-wise these irons must be good in a real game setting because Callaway is an excellent manufacturer. I think club technology is at a point where all irons from the top companies are anywhere from good to great. However, for me "feel" is a critical factor that directly impacts my enjoyment of the game. Sound, to me, is not very important because it doesn't give me any information about my shots.

I also want to mention, I am not plugging Taylormade. I have never owned Taylormade clubs of any kind, though I have tried many of their drivers. I wish at this point I had tried one more set of this-years irons from yet another manufacturer just to put some more perspective into my statements.

The important thing is that you are out actually hitting irons before you buy them. THP is a great place to collect information, chat with the staff writers who review clubs, and sometimes even hear from the club makers themselves. At the end of the day, however, you are the most important person when it comes to knowing what fits your game. There are plenty of options out there nowadays, and IMO it's a blast trying them all out when trying to fill your bag, have fun!

I've experienced a regression with the CF16s since switching from the Nippon Modus Tour 130s to the Steelfiber 95s. Ball striking and accuracy are considerably worse, but on the bright side, I don't feel beat up after I play like I did with the Nippons.
I'm committed to sticking with these shafts for awhile to see if I can get used to them, but now I wish I would have gone with the 110s instead of the 95s.

I've experienced a regression with the CF16s since switching from the Nippon Modus Tour 130s to the Steelfiber 95s. Ball striking and accuracy are considerably worse, but on the bright side, I don't feel beat up after I play like I did with the Nippons.
I'm committed to sticking with these shafts for awhile to see if I can get used to them, but now I wish I would have gone with the 110s instead of the 95s.

you think it's a weight problem?

For the first time, in as long as I can remember, I don't get excited about new irons, nor do I have any urge to hit new releases. These are exactly what I am looking for in an iron set:

- Look great
- Forgiving
- Long
- Feel Incredible

It should be no surprise since they were fit to me by the best, but I cannot get over how much I yearn to hit them. When I put a bad swing on these, the result isn't great, but when I have even my B-/C+ swing, I am finding incredible results.

I noticed the same when I went to the Recoil 95s in my previous set of irons. Now I have the 110s in my Apex and I think I needed the extra weight. Dispersion is better, especially with the 3/4 shots.

For the first time, in as long as I can remember, I don't get excited about new irons, nor do I have any urge to hit new releases. These are exactly what I am looking for in an iron set:

- Look great
- Forgiving
- Long
- Feel Incredible

It should be no surprise since they were fit to me by the best, but I cannot get over how much I yearn to hit them. When I put a bad swing on these, the result isn't great, but when I have even my B-/C+ swing, I am finding incredible results.
I'm the same way with how pleased I am with these irons. They are perfect for me. Played last night and these things performed well, even with some decent wind. I know my swing isn't terribly consistent, but the performance from these irons is.

you think it's a weight problem?
I don't know what it is exactly, but weight could be a factor. I've played light weight shafts in the majority of my past irons, so I hope to get back to better ball striking soon.

I don't know what it is exactly, but weight could be a factor. I've played light weight shafts in the majority of my past irons, so I hope to get back to better ball striking soon.
I'd look into the swing weight since you pretty much dropped 35 grams just from the shaft, the overall weight and the swing weight difference will dramatically change how the club feels at take away and top of the swing. I'd look into the swing weight so you can feel the club more.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

It was comments like yours that lead me to try these irons, and this is why I was surprised I didn't like them. Sometimes it can be difficult to describe exactly how an iron "feels" on impact but what I am looking for is really a combination of factors. I hesitate to go into this because it can be very subjective and I really think the conversation is better served by comparisons so another person can actually experience a difference of opinion for their self. This is why I mentioned the PSi irons.

I do agree with you about the looks, and I'm sure performance-wise these irons must be good in a real game setting because Callaway is an excellent manufacturer. I think club technology is at a point where all irons from the top companies are anywhere from good to great. However, for me "feel" is a critical factor that directly impacts my enjoyment of the game. Sound, to me, is not very important because it doesn't give me any information about my shots.

I also want to mention, I am not plugging Taylormade. I have never owned Taylormade clubs of any kind, though I have tried many of their drivers. I wish at this point I had tried one more set of this-years irons from yet another manufacturer just to put some more perspective into my statements.
Depending on what you are used to, perhaps from forged to cast, there's a distinct difference in sound and consequently feel at impact. The offset is also more pronounced in the cf16 than a player's iron.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

First let me say that these irons are beautiful and I wish all irons were this good looking. In the hitting cage I judge irons by two things, how they feel at impact in the sweet spot, and on mis-hits. I just returned from Dick's where I tried these irons. I really wanted to like them; I've owned Callaway equipment and I still use one of their drivers. I use the same Recoil shafts in my current set of game improvement irons as are used with the Apex irons. Unfortunately I really didn't like the feel of the Apex irons at impact and that is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't get a chance to try the Apex Pros. Then on a lark, I tried the Taylormade PSi irons. I realize it's not fair to compare game improvement irons to player's irons but this should give you some idea of what I think is "better". I tried the PSi irons because they use the same KBS shafts I have in my player's irons. I've never tried Taylormade irons before, and I liked these much more than the Callaway's but I still did not like them as much as what I'm using now. The golf world seems to be in love with the Apex irons, and I was too until I hit some balls with them. Now I think the Apex irons are over-hyped. Don't believe me, try them for yourself.

An iron that works incredible for someone could be a complete failure for another. That's why there are so many different manufacturers, different technology, and different designs. I've had irons that I loved but when I hit them they were just terrible, it's not a bad thing that the Apex didn't work for you.

Over-hyped is a strong description, it just didn't work for your swing and needs.

Quick question for anyone that has three in the bag, do you see a big difference height, flight and distance wise between the PW and 9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question for anyone that has three in the bag, do you see a big difference height, flight and distance wise between the PW and 9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Also measured on a launch monitor with about a dozen people. Falls right in line.

Nope. Also measured on a launch monitor with about a dozen people. Falls right in line.

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying 9-6i in cf and using my 46* md3 over the cf pw(45*). Just want to make sure I'm not going to create a big gap by doing so

Another round in with the new shaft setup, and I'm loving it. Lighter shafts feel like less effort is needed to get the results I'm looking for.

I've also had a number of opportunities to "manufacture" shots, and the CFs have not hampered that it any way. In fact, they are just as versatile as anything I've played in the past.

Pair these with a ball that is designed to spin on approach shots, and there is good stopping power. Pair these with a lower compression ball, and the sound/feel ridiculously good, and the ball rockets off the face. Also, with the lower compression ball, I saw a higher ball flight, so was still getting decent results hitting into the green.

I saw much better distance gaps, today, though there may now be a gap between my AW and specialty sand wedge. I'll work on that, though.

Another round in with the new shaft setup, and I'm loving it. Lighter shafts feel like less effort is needed to get the results I'm looking for.

I've also had a number of opportunities to "manufacture" shots, and the CFs have not hampered that it any way. In fact, they are just as versatile as anything I've played in the past.

Pair these with a ball that is designed to spin on approach shots, and there is good stopping power. Pair these with a lower compression ball, and the sound/feel ridiculously good, and the ball rockets off the face. Also, with the lower compression ball, I saw a higher ball flight, so was still getting decent results hitting into the green.

I saw much better distance gaps, today, though there may now be a gap between my AW and specialty sand wedge. I'll work on that, though.

+1 on the stopping power. Yesterday I was spinning the ball a lot on approaches with the short irons and had a couple 6i shots one hop and stop

These irons were better than I was this weekend but still couldn't be happier with my purchase. Distances are starting to dial in a bit and I'm thinking these will be about a half to full club longer than my Speedblades.

OK, fine, CFs. You're damn good irons, and yes, you did treat me very well, today. Superlatives galore for these irons, and I was one who was not overly fond of them in initial testing. Shows what I know.

Guy I'm my group was killing these iron today. He was a solid club longer this year.

Drank the Koolaid, had a fitting, bought them & now waiting for them to come in.
Dang it Callaway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on the stopping power. Yesterday I was spinning the ball a lot on approaches with the short irons and had a couple 6i shots one hop and stop

Your ball flight with these irons is awesome to watch, so high and clean

Your ball flight with these irons is awesome to watch, so high and clean

Thanks Ryan. Irons are something I really struggled with last year so it's nice to see the improvement. Just need to get my alignment squared away

After a few more rounds with these, I'm definitely a club longer than the set I came from (original Apex). It was fun playing a club less than I normally do on the par 3's of my league course. And, I hit an 8 iron off the bottom groove, still went 160 to the green on a par 3 and I just missed the birdie putt. Unreal to me the forgiveness I see with hits off the bottom groove (and toe as well).

I fell in love with mine when I first got them in December ,ball flight, distance, stopping power, and overall forgiveness, but overall the club just felt to light with the Project X Graphite shaft. Now that I have the slightly heavier Recoils in them it is truly a match made in heaven. If you are thinking about getting a set spend a little extra time hitting every different shaft you can get your hands on, everyone has a little different swing and different shafts will feel heavenly for different people. When you find the shaft that fits your swing you will not be disappointed you took a little extra time to decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got these babies on the course for 2 rounds so far. These irons are just amazing. The 5, 6 and 7 irons just go for miles. The short irons are like shooting darts. The ball lands and just stops. These irons just do what I want when the shot is executed properly.

Back