Is Club Technology Maxed Out?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV asked this very question to one of the great minds in the golf industry Michael Vrska and his honest and open answer is very interesting. He touched on lofts being lowered, materials and so much more.

Great interview ddec.

First thing I thought when I saw the thread subject before opening it was W/S and the C200.

as long as technology advances, golf clubs will advance. things that were considered a dream 20 years ago are common place today in the golf club market

Great interview Dean. I certainly agree that things aren't maxed out. Especially, in fairway woods. All the new driver technology is now being applied to them and they don't don't have the same limitation from the USGA as the drivers do. With irons I think the manufactures are just getting started. I particularly liked Mr. Vrska's comment about the possible new materials.

Great interview, Dean was a little tough to hear though at points.
Great information and insight though!

great interview Dean!

I could listen to mr Vrska talk about golf gear all day, I'd love to meet him and his team in Octobre

You guys did a great job covering the PGA merchandise show.

Ask the right questions, let them talk.

Good interview and love his honesty. It will be fun to see where companies go with driver technology. Great answer on the iron technology and what it is happening with jacked lofts and added iron length verse technology.

Very cool interview. Always think about golf club tech and if there's really anything left for them to do. Sounds like there is. Lots of good info in this video.

I really enjoyed his answers and honesty. For the most part it was all about technology in the game and nothing too specifically tied to W/S.

Thank you, Mr. Vrska, for clarifying. "Some companies DO just jack lofts and add length..." Thank you for that!!!!

I really enjoyed his answers and honesty. For the most part it was all about technology in the game and nothing too specifically tied to W/S.

Its one of the best parts of spending time with this icon of club creation. His completely open and honest answers to all things related to design.

I enjoyed this one, cool to hear from an OEM about technology and how it has to be balanced the looks that people expect. I'm sure they could some even crazier things but they also have to make sure it appeals to the consumers eyes.

Great interview Dean. The best is when they can go on and on about the answer honestly. Really interesting perspective there from Vrska too.

Thank you, Mr. Vrska, for clarifying. "Some companies DO just jack lofts and add length..." Thank you for that!!!!

But he did not say all. So it's up to you to find the best club for your game and have someone knowledgable look at your numbers.

Great interview. We're doing things now that we couldn't do 2 years ago. What is coming in the future is going to blow minds.

But he did not say all. So it's up to you to find the best club for your game and have someone knowledgable look at your numbers.

Great interview. We're doing things now that we couldn't do 2 years ago. What is coming in the future is going to blow minds.

Off the air he has spoken in candid manor about a set or two that has done this and its not hard to pick out for most golfers. They will see a ball flight that is not correct if they test out their clubs. The ability to move weight to increase ball flight has been a tremendous asset to irons because these creators have been able to (and needed to) decrease loft to get proper launch and get some incredible distance.

Whats funny about that side of the debate to me is that when someone is talking about a driver, fairway wood or any other distance related club, they never speak to a specific loft and seem to completely understand how loft is just part of the equation as the movement of weight and even spin can alter ball flight quite a bit. But somehow you do the same thing in an iron and all of the sudden its witch craft and snake oil. :alien:

Very good interview Dean! Enjoyed hearing a candid take on where tech is and where it could be going.

That was an interesting interview. Personally, I think all club makers will continually push the envelope when it comes to technology. That's what they get paid to do, right? The comment about certain companies just jacking up lofts was funny, too. I guess it pays to do your research before pulling the trigger!

The brutal honesty in this interview is incredible. First, I loved that he didn't bother to use this as an opportunity to advertise his product but rather to educate on what we can expect to see, and second, you can tell that he's excited about what his company is doing with golf club design right now.

And rightfully so.

That was great! I wonder if sometimes a consumer like me can be too demanding expecting serious increases from year to year, but as long as any OEM is marketing that its much improved I want to see it.

I think it's a little naive to think that some releases weren't just a loft/length jacking, and its nice to hear it from a guy who lives and breathes club design like Vrska.

Another great interview Dean, love the insight with these industry professionals, great stuff.

Great interview Dean! Very interesting information.

Another great interview Dean! I really love the passion that Mr. Vrska has and his desire to bring technological advances to our sport.

Off the air he has spoken in candid manor about a set or two that has done this and its not hard to pick out for most golfers. They will see a ball flight that is not correct if they test out their clubs. The ability to move weight to increase ball flight has been a tremendous asset to irons because these creators have been able to (and needed to) decrease loft to get proper launch and get some incredible distance.

Whats funny about that side of the debate to me is that when someone is talking about a driver, fairway wood or any other distance related club, they never speak to a specific loft and seem to completely understand how loft is just part of the equation as the movement of weight and even spin can alter ball flight quite a bit. But somehow you do the same thing in an iron and all of the sudden its witch craft and snake oil. :alien:
For some, it seems that regardless of the iron's technology the only reason for increased distance is the "jacked up" lofts.

For some, it seems that regardless of the iron's technology the only reason for increased distance is the "jacked up" lofts.

I always thought that callout was justification for:
1) not understanding the new design technologies
2) disregarding the distance gains made by playing partners
3) justification to hate an OEM, regardless of how legit a claim it may be.

Back