I think I'll put my biocell 3w shaft into my driver.. share your cut down stories/exp

kabal57

Infidel
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
I will start off by saying that i used to hit the biocell driver fairy well, it almost completely eliminated the left side of the fairway for me, (I'm a lefty) lately I've been struggling to hit it, and a few weeks ago my driver swing just completely abandoned me. I've always struggled with the length of modern drivers, and this latest bout of madness really got me to thinking. i hit my 3 wood fairly well, why not toss that shaft in the driver and see what happens?
does anyone know what comparable settings from a 3/4 fwy would equate to in terms of driver loft? ex. a 14 setting on the 3w adapter would be what exactly?

those of you who play 43-44" drivers, care to share your experiences/results with the rest of the class?

Curious. Since the Bio Cell 3w is upwards of 43.5" when you slap the driver head on it what does it measure ? Heck with the heavier fairway shaft it might swing weight ok too. Interested to see your results.

A couple years ago I went to a demo day. At the time I was in a shorty driver phase. Of course no oem had any shorter driver shafts but the TM booth built me a couple r11s drivers with 3 wood shafts. After the results I saw I ended up building a 44" r11s driver with a heavy head. Worked pretty well.

Curious. Since the Bio Cell 3w is upwards of 43.5" when you slap the driver head on it what does it measure ? Heck with the heavier fairway shaft it might swing weight ok too. Interested to see your results.

A couple years ago I went to a demo day. At the time I was in a shorty driver phase. Of course no oem had any shorter driver shafts but the TM booth built me a couple r11s drivers with 3 wood shafts. After the results I saw I ended up building a 44" r11s driver with a heavy head. Worked pretty well.

How'd you make the head heavy, different TMaG weights or lead tape?

I'm curious myself. A friend of mine i was talking to about it mentioned the swingweight, and asked how i would know what the clubhead was doing if it got too light.. i replied that with how lousy my driver swing has been lately i obviously have no idea what the damn clubhead is doing anyway.. he got a good laugh out of it.
will test and report tomorrow or sat, but would like input and opinions on the idea.

How'd you make the head heavy, different TMaG weights or lead tape?

Yes the stock head had a 10g and 1g weight and I ordered a 16g off Golfworks. I wanted it heel heavy so I played it at 16g heel and 1g in the toe. The head was around 206g and then I think their adapter is around 6-8 g so it was over 210 total which was perfect for the 44" shaft. Very accurate. Hit around 75% of fairways with it.

Put a 3 wood shaft in my Cobra Amp Cell and now my PING SF Tec. It's the way a Mini Driver should be, IMO. I don't like cut down driver shafts.

FWIW, 3 wood shafts are cut down driver shafts.

The 3 wood shaft would be a little tip stiff without the added swing weight, this might help with the dispersion, but if you do want the original swing weight, adding weights on the ports sounds great. I personally game a shorter shaft and can't go back to the 46" monsters. Best part about this is your adapter tips are the same, just swap and try it. I wouldn't mess with the swing weight just yet until you have some unruly hooks.

I've said it many times: cutting down my PING Rapture V2 to 43-1/2" was the best move I ever made!

well after taking a closer look at the adapters today they are 4* apart.. so 14.5 on the 3w shaft is 10.5 on the driver, which is good to know. i can't wait to hit this thing tomorrow

I cut my driver shaft to play at 44.25" total and it made a world of difference.

so the grand experiment paid off.. 9/13 fairways found today!!!
7 of them split the middle, the other two were right at the edge because the fwy sloped severely.
i was tenative driving with the 3w shaft so distance wasn't outstanding, my longs for the day were 252 and 254 (garmin s1 watch shot measurement)
others were in the 220+ range..
so distance was a little lacking, but i think thats because i was feeling the shaft out. swingweight doesn't seem to be an issue with my tempo, but i do think there's not enough weight loading the shaft because many of my drives were med-low liners that left on a rope and rolled forever once they touched down. once i get used to this setup ill try to get after it some more and see how that goes.

overall, a smashing success, ill take 230 in the fwy every day all day.
guess I'm a short knocker now :)

I cut down my stock driver shaft in my Stage2 to 45" and then my Diamana down to 44.75" and both are leaps and bounds above hitting my driver at the standard 46".

The only problem I've found is with the Diamana in my driver, I have far more mishits towards the heel.

Let me start by saying I'm barely 5'7. 45.5' and 46' drivers are just way too long for me. I play my drivers at 44" now and I've hit more fairways than ever before. I will never go back to anything over 44".

Back