2016 Waste Management Phoenix Open (Spoilers)

I have the highest respect for both players. Rickie using driver I think wasn't a dumb decision, I think it was just bad luck. Three major things had to happen for Rickie to lose - to dunk it in the water on the 17th, for Matsuyama to hole the 20 foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole, and for Rickie to dunk it again in the water on the 17th. That's not counting some pars that could have been birdies.

It takes huevos to go for the green on the 17th when you're leading by two strokes. Some would call that unwise.

Kudos to both. Rickie for the all-or-nothing, Matsuyama for the grinding.

The exchange between Rickie and his caddie on 17 was an interesting one and the audio only caught the first part. The bunker in the middle of the fairway seemed to be where the caddie has a concern with carry distance and thought Rickie had plenty to carry it with 3w but was worried if Rickie didn't catch it all. The issue with driver IMO wasn't so much the 344 yard drive on 15 but that he was going to be landing it so close to the green which the surface of them were pretty hard and wouldn't stop the ball.

He he played some good golf after that as did Matsuyama to take it to 4 playoff holes. Seeing Rickies passion in the post round interview just solidifies IMO what a good guy he is and that alomg with his game right now he will see the winners circle again soon

Emotional post round interview from Rickie. Easy to see how much his family plays a role in his life.
He is a such a great role model, love showing the real emotion there, you could feel his disappointment, maybe Cam should have watched Rickie before the Super Bowl!

The exchange between Rickie and his caddie on 17 was an interesting one and the audio only caught the first part. The bunker in the middle of the fairway seemed to be where the caddie has a concern with carry distance and thought Rickie had plenty to carry it with 3w but was worried if Rickie didn't catch it all. The issue with driver IMO wasn't so much the 344 yard drive on 15 but that he was going to be landing it so close to the green which the surface of them were pretty hard and wouldn't stop the ball.

He he played some good golf after that as did Matsuyama to take it to 4 playoff holes. Seeing Rickies passion in the post round interview just solidifies IMO what a good guy he is and that alomg with his game right now he will see the winners circle again soon

7 iron and a wedge would have been enough to make par easy and go into 18.

7 iron and a wedge would have been enough to make par easy and go into 18.

I am nearly certain that a 7 iron off the tee would have brought on greater criticisms than a driver ever could. People would have been all over that.

I am nearly certain that a 7 iron off the tee would have brought on greater criticisms than a driver ever could. People would have been all over that.

Probably. But then he could just go back to his room and Scrooge McDuck all the cash from a first place win.

Probably. But then he could just go back to his room and Scrooge McDuck all the cash from a first place win.

There's no guarantee of that. A boring par on 17 could have changed his outcome on 18 to a par (or worse, frankly, after the bunker horseshoes) -- And still a tie leading to a playoff with zero momentum.

The chips fell where they did and he did enough on 18 and in the playoff to say that he left everything he had out there. I loved the finish.

I was gonna say the same thing (sort of)

yeah... his caddy just earned more than most people make in a year...

also, I keep gaining respect for Rickie. I'll admit, I didn't care for him much when he first came on the tour, but he has recently won me over as a supporter with his work ethic and visible passion for the game. I sure it hurt like hell, signing autographs long after a hard fought loss, but the dude seems to put others before himself which I can respect.

He's still getting bashed for laying up on another hole (10 maybe?) a few years back at TPC Scottsdale.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My only question is why did he play a draw on 17 in the playoff? Why not a cut to take the water out of play?

My only question is why did he play a draw on 17 in the playoff? Why not a cut to take the water out of play?

Think a cut meant the front bunker comes into play. Had to try and draw it over to carry it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What a great tournament finish!!

Ricky's swing looks powerfully good.He always kills himself with a double at a bad time.If he can get that fixed I see him winning a major very soon.He looks like a kid out there.Does anybody else think he looks like leonardo dicaprio?

Bubba now says "it's pretty sad that people think I don't want to be here" bahahahaha holy hell

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...acebook-gc-a-hurt-bubba-vows-to-return-020716

Bubba seems tore up about the boo's at hole 16.The thing is is he shouldnt be.Did anybody hear the interview with phil mickelson?He said that him and alot of other players noticed that the majority of the crowd arent golf fans at hole 16.He said most of golf fans wearing golf hats are at the other holes.

Back