Do we change clubs/gear too much?

Im definitely guilty. I have changed my iron set three times this year, have tried about five different fw's, three sets of wedges, and have 6 drivers...

All this year :shock:

Granted now I think im pretty set lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think I read a study that shows, golfer buy a new driver about every 8 months and a new putter every 13 months, and a new set if irons every 2 years, and interesting enough, new wedges every 36 months.
There is some great marketing.

I think I read a study that shows, golfer buy a new driver about every 8 months and a new putter every 13 months, and a new set if irons every 2 years, and interesting enough, new wedges every 36 months.
There is some great marketing.

any hope that people have to hitting it further without work and they will bite ......they should probably get lessons and get that swing speed up would help.

Oh well, I just ordered a crapload of clubs from Ebay, here come my beauties!!!

I wish I could change frequently, having new stuff is awesome. Personally I think I have found a bag full of gear that works very well for me. I'm often tinkering with one portion of my bag and always pondering, finances and a level of comfort keep those ponders in check.

I don't change gear as much as I would like! I can thank my wife for that. Let's put it like this. I, just this week, got a new set of irons after having the same set for 10 years, my wife didn't complain about this, as she knew I have been talking about this for a long while. Now I also got a new driver and 3 wood! Her comment, "Didn't you just get a new driver and 3 wood?" To which I responded "If by, just get, you mean almost 3 years ago...then yes."
To answer your question...I would love to have the newest stuff every year it comes out. The reality is from now on, maybe every 3 years for the set is what I'm going to shoot for if I can. 10 years was WAY to long for the irons, and 2 years is probably long enough for a driver or 3 wood. Let's be honest, the technology that's out now, is at the limits of USGA/R&A standards. We can't really go MUCH further in general, so it comes down to looks, feel and sound now.

There is a lot of great golf equipment out now so if someone enjoys tinkering and trying out different things and has the means why not. Part of enjoying the game is the excitement of getting new toys.

I don't necessarily think that more reps with a club makes you any better in the long run. An open face at impact is an open face at impact regardless of the age of clubs. For me though, buying new gear is part of the enjoyment of the game and puts a massive smile on my face. I think I stick to a pretty normal pattern and I don't think it's "too often"
Driver - every year
FWs/Hybos - I'll keep changing until I find something I love
Irons - Every 2-3 years
Wedges - Every 2 years
Putter - 5 years or so?

I'm inclined to agree with this. For that matter, if the club is not right for your swing in a macro-capacity, it may be forcing you to alter your swing. That being said, much of that comes back to hitting clubs that you've been fit for, rather than replacing clubs just because we like new things.

Back