tips on coming back to golf after knee surgery

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
Guys happy to be back!!!! Probably no one noticed but i haven't been posting a ton lately because I've been recovering from ACL and MCL surgery that I had on June 18th. Honesty it was depressing to say the least being on THP when I couldn't golf. I would dabble around on the site set my fantasy golf lineups, and frequented the cigar thread because smoking cigars and playing video games is all I have been able to do for 6 months.

Just need some tips from anyone else who has gone through a ACL and MCL reconstruction and come back to golf.*

A week ago I was cleared to go back to full golf anf naturally being the golf addict I am I hit the range, practice green, and 9 holes less than 24 hours after being cleared. My game was horrendous to say the least (not to say it was very good be4 I was hurt). I found myself keeping my lower half of my body cemented to the ground throughout my whole swing. I don't even know where to start to fix this mess. Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated. Glad to be back guys!‎

Trust!! If you did the rehab and listen to the doctors. Your knee is strong enough to swing and swing properly. I'm assuming it's the right knee. You can expect swelling and flinching. Just know that your knee is strong and you can get after it. Nothing special just need to trust it won't hurt, tear or collapse. Good luck!

Trust!! If you did the rehab and listen to the doctors. Your knee is strong enough to swing and swing properly. I'm assuming it's the right knee. You can expect swelling and flinching. Just know that your knee is strong and you can get after it. Nothing special just need to trust it won't hurt, tear or collapse. Good luck!

I did/currently do rehab religiously! It is my back knee aka my right knee and im right handed. Thanks Panda!

I did/currently do rehab religiously! It is my back knee aka my right knee and im right handed. Thanks Panda!

You'll be fine. I played with my friend who has full knee replacement in May. He was playing 6 weeks after. He is 53 and shot 75 from 6900 in the wind.

Try this Tom Watson tip - start the downswing by planting the left heel. Worked wonders for me in relieving uncomfortable stresses on my right knee.

Glad your back and healthy. Put up a video and the Panda will get you going again.

The fact that it is the right knee makes it much easier for a right handed golfer. I had full ACL replacement in 2012 on my right knee and was able to play golf three weeks after surgery although not with full power. I wasn't 100% for golf until 6 months out. It helped in the beginning to flare my right toe out a little to take pressure off the knee on the backswing. The best rehab for me after surgery was riding my bike 5 days a week for at least an hour. Good luck!

Try this Tom Watson tip - start the downswing by planting the left heel. Worked wonders for me in relieving uncomfortable stresses on my right knee.

That sounds like a great idea, thank u!

The fact that it is the right knee makes it much easier for a right handed golfer. I had full ACL replacement in 2012 on my right knee and was able to play golf three weeks after surgery although not with full power. I wasn't 100% for golf until 6 months out. It helped in the beginning to flare my right toe out a little to take pressure off the knee on the backswing. The best rehab for me after surgery was riding my bike 5 days a week for at least an hour. Good luck!

Another very good tip. Thank u! If it wasn't for the meniscus I could have been back earlier. I'm jealous u were playing in 3 weeks that's crazy

Ive had 3 surgeries on my left knee, right handed. Just be focused on your rehab and take the golf easy.

But if the doc says you are good to go you should be fine.

If you want to be safe just wear your brace while golfing.

Man some of the stories in here are so opposite of mine. Tore my ACL in January 2011, had surgery in May 2011 and didn't touch a club until mid November. No way my knee was ready before then and even that 18 hole round was tough. Shot terrible and my knee hurt so bad. Mine was the left knee though and that's a lot of my power. It's taken me 4 years to get back to my 112mph swing.

My opinion is to play it safe. We aren't being paid so injuring your knee is no help. Keep stretching daily and ice after every round. That helped me a ton this last year. I've iced like crazy

I can't speak to a ACL/MCL recovery, but like Tadashi's friend, I had knee replacement surgery (both at the same time) last October. I did the rehab work and I was taking full swings by the end of December. By spring, I felt fine. The big thing for me is my swing was mess most of the summer. Previous to the surgery, I was only able to take very slow and swings and couldn't finish on my left side at all due to pain and weakness in the left knee.

Post surgery, my swing wasn't in sync with my body being able to swing harder. I didn't put in practice time to get the swing better just kind of played through it though not very well. But the important thing is I was playing pain free and was able to finish a round which was barely the case pre surgery.

The recovery time for each person and each surgery is different. You can't use one person as a model, but only do the work that is laid out by your Dr and when able work on your conditioning and strength. That is one are, I neglected, strength. I spent so much time focusing on my knee, I should have had a more overall workout as well.

Good luck.

Welcome back as a full-time golfer.

As said earlier, rust and trust. Very common IMHO.

I tore my Achilles a few years ago and the first few times out, even though I had no pain or discomfort, I was expecting side effects and was protecting the injury. There was no reason to do so as it turned out.

Relax, it only takes one good free and trusting swing and you are over the hump.

Just follow docs and therapists guidelines strictly and all will be good.

I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee (ACL/MCL/Meniscus) and 2 on my right (ACL/MCL/PCL/Meniscus).
The hard work at rehab really pays off like everyone says. I wear a Don-Joy soft brace from time to time while playing golf.
Your swing will come back with time....and practice.
Good luck !

Man some of the stories in here are so opposite of mine. Tore my ACL in January 2011, had surgery in May 2011 and didn't touch a club until mid November. No way my knee was ready before then and even that 18 hole round was tough. Shot terrible and my knee hurt so bad. Mine was the left knee though and that's a lot of my power. It's taken me 4 years to get back to my 112mph swing.

My opinion is to play it safe. We aren't being paid so injuring your knee is no help. Keep stretching daily and ice after every round. That helped me a ton this last year. I've iced like crazy

Agreed man. My doc wouldn't even let me chip. He told me to just wait till 6months, crazy some of these guys could play after 3 weeks. I'm still hurting a lot 6 months later. Ice and I will be good friends!

Walmart has a nice knee brace, metal hinged on both sides for around $20.00. I had my left knee replaced and wear the Mueller hinged brace just for peace of mind. Give it a shot.

Walmart has a nice knee brace, metal hinged on both sides for around $20.00. I had my left knee replaced and wear the Mueller hinged brace just for peace of mind. Give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion but I just got fitted for an activity brace that's $1000! Luckily I have good insurance!

Thanks for the suggestion but I just got fitted for an activity brace that's $1000! Luckily I have good insurance!

A few of things:

1) Knee replacement recovery is nothing like the recovering from ACL reconstruction. Especially for those that didn't have the Patellar tendon cut when they had their knee replaced.

2) I'm glad that you got an excellent and custom made brace. Those are required imo. I would never suggest getting an OTC brace for something like what you had.

3) Find an Athletic Therapist in your area that knows Golf. Then work with him/her and a good swing coach to make sure you aren't needlessly stressing your post op site. It's equally important not to stiffen up as you seem to be doing, as that can cause other injuries.

Enjoy your return, but be careful and mindful.

A few of things:

1) Knee replacement recovery is nothing like the recovering from ACL reconstruction. Especially for those that didn't have the Patellar tendon cut when they had their knee replaced.

I did try to make it clear I understood they are vastly different. But wanted to give some insight as to the mental as well as physical comeback from any sort of knee surgery.

Haven't been through the knee yet but had to have a tendon in the elbow repaired. If the doc has released you, you are good to go, but getting your mind to believe that after the pain of the surgery and rehab is another thing altogether. After the doc released me to swing I started out just taking 25% swings on the range focusing on body turn. Over time i slowly increased the swing till I was back at 100%, but it took almost 6 months before my brain would fully trust that my arm was ready.

Take your time. Don't overdo it and re injure yourself.

Depending on how the pain affected your swing pre-surgery you may find yourself having to make adjustments to compensate for now being pain free. Taking it relatively slow and with patience is the key. Good luck!

A few of things:

2) I'm glad that you got an excellent and custom made brace. Those are required imo. I would never suggest getting an OTC brace for something like what you had.

3) Find an Athletic Therapist in your area that knows Golf. Then work with him/her and a good swing coach to make sure you aren't needlessly stressing your post op site. It's equally important not to stiffen up as you seem to be doing, as that can cause other injuries.

Yea that Patellar is brutal. I have some great therapists, the one golf's, but doesn't "know" golf I'd say. But seems to know the stresses that each different sport bring.

Thanks man, I've been carful swinging slow and taking it easy

Depending on how the pain affected your swing pre-surgery you may find yourself having to make adjustments to compensate for now being pain free. Taking it relatively slow and with patience is the key. Good luck!

To be honest I tore everything April 28th, started pre surgery rehab right after and mid may was told I could golf cause there was nothing left to mess up.
I felt way better than then I do now 6months post surgery. I'm compensating now, wasn't then. I need to work thru that

Welcome back! I haven't had knee surgery, but had my hamstring reattached in February and I completely understand the difficulty in trusting what your body can do after the surgery. It sounds like you've done the rehab and followed instructions so go for it! Hope we can tee it up in the 2016 fight for the toilet bowl!

Back