Parenting Thread

My youngest daughter (3), the other night, was in rare form with the not wanting to go to bed....not listening to her Mom and I when we asked her to do something. Then there was the fighting to get ready for bed and such. Once she was IN bed, she wanted me to cuddle with her. Which I usually do as I know there will come a point where that won't happen. However, it was now 9pm and she needed to be asleep not cuddling with me. So I told her that she needed to do better at listening, and doing what she was told, and it was to late for her to get cuddles. She didn't like that and was fussing, and sort of fake crying to get her way of course. So I kept telling her no, and she looked at me and said....."Daddy, I like Mommy more than I like you." DAGGER TO MY HEART! First time she's ever said that to me, and I'll be honest, that hurt! So I looked at her and said, "I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm still not cuddling with you, good night." She then asked me "if I was coming right back" meaning...will you come back later and cuddle with me. I told her no again, and as I walked out of her room I could hear her crying and saying to her older sister, "Daddy's not coming back..." It broke my heart, but she hurt my feelings, and needs to know she can't manipulate me into things either.

We are struggling with this as well with our 3 year old. She doesnt listen to her mom well so I have to step in and lay down the law. Which in turns leads to her not wanting me to tuck her in or just touch her even. I hate it and it makes me feel like I am not doing my duty as a father. But she always comes back and tells me she loves me and gives me hugs and kisses. Stay strong man and it will get better.

We are struggling with this as well with our 3 year old. She doesnt listen to her mom well so I have to step in and lay down the law. Which in turns leads to her not wanting me to tuck her in or just touch her even. I hate it and it makes me feel like I am not doing my duty as a father. But she always comes back and tells me she loves me and gives me hugs and kisses. Stay strong man and it will get better.

I've got a similar role of being the bad guy. It really sucks having to be tough with my little guy, especially when he already prefers to be cuddled by his mom, but I kind of feel that comes with being a dad. Still doesn't mean I don't want him to cry for me when he's upset, but I guess that's a price I pay.

You got it! I hate being the bad guy too, but I know it's something that comes along with the territory. My dad was the same way for me and my siblings and I am appreciative of it everyday. She will grow out of pushing everything and all will be hunky dorey again!

I am at a point in my parenthood that im scared to death of what happens next. my oldest daughter is 14 (15 in feb) and she is dating a kid who is 16 and turns 17 in april. im sure that I don't need to explain what my fears are. they have been dating for about 3 or 4 months now and I have not met him intentionally. my wife has met him and said that he is in all college classes in high school. he is on the travelling baseball team, his dad is a high school golf coach and he is good looking, has good manners and very respectful.. I don't want my daughter to date a loser but im afraid of him wanting to you know what with her. I have absolutely no idea how to deal with it. I understand i really have no choice but to accept it and hope that she has enough morals to make the right decisions but how do you keep this from driving you nuts?

I am at a point in my parenthood that im scared to death of what happens next. my oldest daughter is 14 (15 in feb) and she is dating a kid who is 16 and turns 17 in april. im sure that I don't need to explain what my fears are. they have been dating for about 3 or 4 months now and I have not met him intentionally. my wife has met him and said that he is in all college classes in high school. he is on the travelling baseball team, his dad is a high school golf coach and he is good looking, has good manners and very respectful.. I don't want my daughter to date a loser but im afraid of him wanting to you know what with her. I have absolutely no idea how to deal with it. I understand i really have no choice but to accept it and hope that she has enough morals to make the right decisions but how do you keep this from driving you nuts?
I am 8 years behind you on this one and I don't look forward to it.

I literally asked my mom about this when she was on her death bed and my daughter was about 8 months old (yes, I can be that anal). For better or worse, her answer: make sure your daughter knows you love her. There was a whole explanation that came with that answer that I won't bore the board with. But that's what I'm going with. Also, by the time my daughter is dating age I may be old enough that I just don't care anymore :)

I hate to say this, but the boy does want to do you know what. And there's a decent chance some part of your daughter does to. It is natural and normal. BUT we're not animals and we have the ability to use judgment and resist impulses...which brings us back to the hardest part of being a parent - we do the best we can do and hope for the best when our kids are left to their own devices.

Hang in there man! And yes, you can save this post and throw it in my face 8 years from now :)

My plan is to eat enough salt in the next 10 years that I won't be around to witness anything of that sort.

what really scares me most is my wife said that he reminds her of me when we were young

Sometimes I wonder if God's vengeance for some of us men is to let us have daughters.

Hey guys been great reading up on this topic, my wife is due on 1/1/14 with our first! Very excited but also terrified haha!
I guess it sounds like a lot of team work and having a understanding partner, so I think we gonna be just fine:) of course the golf is gonna take a hit but if I can still get out once a week to clear the head and keep the swing in some what form I'm happy. And at the end of the day having a healthy happy little baby trumps anything else I think of in this world!

Congrats Frasely! First year is a little challenging, but it gets better and better. Good luck in January!

Hey guys been great reading up on this topic, my wife is due on 1/1/14 with our first! Very excited but also terrified haha!
I guess it sounds like a lot of team work and having a understanding partner, so I think we gonna be just fine:) of course the golf is gonna take a hit but if I can still get out once a week to clear the head and keep the swing in some what form I'm happy. And at the end of the day having a healthy happy little baby trumps anything else I think of in this world!

This x 1000. Having a kid changes everything, and it is sometimes very hard, but it really is the very best thing in the world. Good luck, and I hope the kiddo comes a day early for a sweet tax write off!

The boy made his first birdie today at the age of 4. How cool is that. Took him out for his first 9 hole round on the real course with me. He moved between playing golf and pretending his club was a gun and shooting imaginary bad guys, but that's cool with me. Just fun to finally take him in a cart, which he has begged me to do for over a year.

Teed him up on a par 3 at 70 yards and he hit his little 7 iron to about a foot after a good bounce and some roll. Grabbed his putter and drained it like a pro. Awesome feeling and something I'll remember forever.

ja9age9e.jpg

The boy made his first birdie today at the age of 4. How cool is that. Took him out for his first 9 hole round on the real course with me. He moved between playing golf and pretending his club was a gun and shooting imaginary bad guys, but that's cool with me. Just fun to finally take him in a cart, which he has begged me to do for over a year.

Teed him up on a par 3 at 70 yards and he hit his little 7 iron to about a foot after a good bounce and some roll. Grabbed his putter and drained it like a pro. Awesome feeling and something I'll remember forever.

ja9age9e.jpg

I love that story Hawk. I'm proud of him. Probably not as much as you though.

ja9age9e.jpg

Dude how awesome is that...will never forget that

Strongest man alive...

3uturuqy.jpg

Thanks guys. Good times.

Jeez bg, that's young for solo standing. Very nice!

Thanks guys. Good times.

Jeez bg, that's young for solo standing. Very nice!

Not even 8 months yet dude. My little man blows my mind all the time.

ja9age9e.jpg

That is one talented youngster there! Good for him and you man. I would have missed the putt haha.

Hawk, that is awesome! Congrats to the little guy. I am sure those baddies die by the boatload now!

Blu, that is one strong little dude! My oldest was walking by 9 months but sheesh, not even 8 months? Crazy awesome.

Hawk, that is awesome! Congrats to the little guy. I am sure those baddies die by the boatload now!

Blu, that is one strong little dude! My oldest was walking by 9 months but sheesh, not even 8 months? Crazy awesome.

Thanks buddy. He isn't walking yet though. He stands up. And looks surprised. Then falls on his butt.

That is awesome Hawk!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Great stuff blu and Hawk. Congrats!

Hawk, you must have passed on some good golfing genes for the little guy to get a birdie at 4. I think it took me like 25... Congrats to both of you, and thank him for keeping America's golf courses safe from bad guys.

Blu, that's pretty crazy, but the next step is walking, and then it's all down hill from there!

Back