TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

I believe its 3 years old.
Going off memory here, but I thought R1 was January of 2013 and then R1 Black was June of 2013
yep, Februray of 2013 release.

I still have mine and actually played it for a round last year. I'd agree in saying it's still relevant, has some adaptability and forgiving. The price is OK, I think. I wouldn't call it a steal.

the range let me demo one today. I set it to 10* loft and 3* closed.

I hit about ten balls with it and just didn't like the feel. I couldn't find the sweet spot and my best shot with it carried ten yards shorter than my tour edge.

Decided to pass and keep looking.

My recollection is that many needed more loft and a couple of sessions to get it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recollection is that many needed more loft and a couple of sessions to get it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This!!
During our fitting they wanted us to have the latest greatest, so they were offering us the Tour V2 head. I wasn't having good results, and I think Tim was kind of at a loss of what to do. After about 20 minutes, I told my fitter, that if the head didn't fit me, I'd really be fine with the standard one. He was glad to hear that, as he didn't want to suggest it to me since we had been promised the "best tour level" head. I laughed and told him, well it's best for them not me. Once we switched I began hitting much better shots, but still had to loft it up over what I had normally played.

I hit about ten balls with it and just didn't like the feel. I couldn't find the sweet spot and my best shot with it carried ten yards shorter than my tour edge.

i loved the feel of the r1, but it wasn't very long for me either. too low spin, though my swing has changed since then.

I am still playing this driver and was wondering if people had any ideas about a heavier shaft. I am currently playing the stock stiff at 55 grams, kinda want to tinker with a heavier shaft.

Any recommendations?

I am still playing this driver and was wondering if people had any ideas about a heavier shaft. I am currently playing the stock stiff at 55 grams, kinda want to tinker with a heavier shaft.

Any recommendations?

RIP Phenom? What kind of launch characteristics are you looking for?

RIP Phenom? What kind of launch characteristics are you looking for?
Yeah. Honestly, I do not know much about Shafts but I know that with this shaft my ball flight is pretty high. I would like a little bit lower flight to get some more roll out.

Yeah. Honestly, I do not know much about Shafts but I know that with this shaft my ball flight is pretty high. I would like a little bit lower flight to get some more roll out.

haha I could barely get that shaft in the air. never really liked it.

for low launch on the heavier side the sky is the limit. tons of options. budget?

I had both stock shafts for this, the Aldila and the RocketFuel???? It has been a long time but generally seem to recall the heavier of the two brought the trajectory down a bit. Sorry I can't be more definitive, it has been a while.

haha I could barely get that shaft in the air. never really liked it.

for low launch on the heavier side the sky is the limit. tons of options. budget?
Haha all I really have used the past few years.

Looking for cheaper and would even do used if I could get my hands on one. Like 50 to 75 bucks, it would stop me from buying a new driver haha

Haha all I really have used the past few years.

Looking for cheaper and would even do used if I could get my hands on one. Like 50 to 75 bucks, it would stop me from buying a new driver haha

i'm only going by what i've read about these shafts because that particular profile is not something i pursue, but here are some thoughts:
- matrix black tie
- miyazaki kusala black
- aldila tour green
- fujikura fuel

just some thoughts. you can go a lot more expensive, but i think those can be found in your range.

i'm only going by what i've read about these shafts because that particular profile is not something i pursue, but here are some thoughts:
- matrix black tie
- miyazaki kusala black
- aldila tour green
- fujikura fuel

just some thoughts. you can go a lot more expensive, but i think those can be found in your range.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will have to look in to these

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will have to look in to these

I am Donnie and I am out of my element, so if all of those suck and I'm way off I take no responsibility

R1 shafts

R1 shafts

I played this club with the RIP Phenom 65 and also swung it with the Fujikura Fuel 70, but that was just a hair too heavy for me.

My favorite TM shaft of late was the Speeder 6.3 TS in my SLDR, might be worth a try also.

Sweet spot on this one is a little higher up the face IIRC. Definitely teed the ball higher than I do now with the G30. Takes a little time to get it dialed in for sure, but before the G30 this was the most accurate driver I've ever gamed.

Any recommendations?

Don't know how easy they are to find but the B Asha paired with this driver head was pretty awesome for me.

I've got this club back in the bag this week. I like all the adjustability this club offers. I don't know if the adjustability is working or its just a mental thing but I'm hitting more fairways and my dispersion is better.

Still such a great club. If its working for you then definitely stick with it. What do you prefer over the G30?

Still using this with the Fujikura 70x and I am hitting my longest drives with that combo. I really like the XR but the one I got was way too short for me to feel comfortable.

Still such a great club. If its working for you then definitely stick with it. What do you prefer over the G30?
I think the adjustability is letting the club mask some swing flaws. I couldn't keep the G30 in play (definitely me, not the club). For some reason the R1 is mostly finding fairways.

My SS is in the low to mid 90's but I feel I launch too high and get minimal roll out. Most of my shots are a high towering fade. I have the stock Fujikura pro 60 R shaft. Since that is a high launch and high spin shaft. Should I give the stock mid Kuro Kage silver a try?

My SS is in the low to mid 90's but I feel I launch too high and get minimal roll out. Most of my shots are a high towering fade. I have the stock Fujikura pro 60 R shaft. Since that is a high launch and high spin shaft. Should I give the stock mid Kuro Kage silver a try?
What settings do you gave the club at? How high do you tee the ball? (When I first had this driver loft and tee height made a big difference)

What settings do you gave the club at? How high do you tee the ball? (When I first had this driver loft and tee height made a big difference)
It is a 9.5 head set to 10.25. I tee it fairly low but most of my hits are actually high on the face above center.

Back