Golfs most unattainable record?

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
Jack's Major Record? Sam's win record? For me it's Nelsons 11 straight wins in 1945. Sure it was during WWII and many great players were overseas, but IMO it is still the most impressive record in all of sports, right up there with Ripken's iron man record of 2,632 and DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak.

Is there anyone on tour today that can reel off 11 straight? Will we ever see a dominating performance like that again? In todays game, with so many talented players, winning 3 straight would seem almost impossible IMO. Thoughts?

I have to agree with the 11 straight wins being the one that will be standing for a long, long time if not forever. Too many good players in the game for someone to real off a streak that even approaches 11.

I would agree with it for golf. Its a weird record, because many of the top in the sport were in the service at the time.

Definitely an impressive record and probably will never be broken. I think the other two probably won't be broken either.

The 11 wins in a row is probably the "safest" record from being broken. I don't think many folks look at that particular record because of the war (not taking anything away from the record). Jack's major wins record is pretty safe, too (a lot of us probably wouldn't have said that until a few years ago, when Tiger started breaking down). Speaking of Tiger, I think he holds one of the records that is also highly unlikely to be touched. 142 consecutive cuts made. I think the longest current streak is 33 (Henrik Stenson).

Yep, 11 consecutive wins will never be broken.

Hell, I'd be shocked if we saw 5 consecutive wins ever in the future.

All three you mentioned are pretty incredible, and I don't see any of them being broken. There are so many really good players that the 11 wins in a row I am sure will never happen. And the majors and career wins would be tough to see go down from both the standpoint of the number of players capable of winning and from a career longevity standpoint. Oddly enough, I think it I had to choose one of those three that is most likely to be broken, I would probably say Jack's majors.

The 11 wins in a row is ridiculous but the other two are very unlikely also!

I think Tiger's made-cut streak of 142 is also one that will stand for a long, long, looong time. It seems the focus of today's players comes and goes week to week.

I think Tiger's made-cut streak of 142 is also one that will stand for a long, long, looong time. It seems the focus of today's players comes and goes week to week.

definitely the closest second, but nelson's 11 straight will never be broken

I don't think Nelson's 18 wins in a year will never be approached either.

Snead's being the only man to win on the LPGA will likely never be matched.

Don't forget Snead and Hogan played in 1945 and Snead only won six times; Hogan won five times.

TW was the prototype when he transformed into the monster he was in the early 2000s. Then along came guys like Gary woodland and DJ, tall, strong, athletic golfers. It's a matter of time before we get a dominate figure in golf that will topple all these records.

With what Freddie said, combined with the fact golfers are getting their 'careers' started so much younger, they can have almost 22 years of play before they hit their 40th birthday, and Phil is showing competitive golf can still be played into his 40's. I agree, these records will be broken at some point.

I definitely don't think anyone will ever win more then 11 in a row. That is crazy impressive. I think the other records have a shot of being broken if Tiger can ever get healthy.

Doesn't V.man have a crazy number of THP events in one year? That's gotta be up there.

I agree that the 11 wins in a row record will never be broken. Whats the modern day win streak, 2? 3?

Jack's 18 majors with 19 runner ups. Nobody will ever approach 37 1st or second place finishes in majors. Tiger is the next closest with 20. IMO, if Jack wasn't using that damn McGregor ball that was out of round after one strike he would have won 25+ majors. I'll go with Snead's all time wins or Tiger's 5 consecutive Vardon Trophys as records that will last forever also.

I definitely don't think anyone will ever win more then 11 in a row. That is crazy impressive. I think the other records have a shot of being broken if Tiger can ever get healthy.

I just don't see this happening. Even if Tiger gets healthy again.

With the right player and a long career, I think everything is possible with the exception of 11 in a row. Even two in a row right now is a massive accomplishment.

I would agree with the majority that say the 11 straight PGA Wins will never be broken. I could see somehow Dimaggio's 56 game streak being broken before either of the other two. Not saying it will be, but I think it has the best chance of the three.

Kim Jong-Il's single round of -38.

I think the 11 straight wins followed by Jack's record of 18 majors.

Oh and Germerican...that's effing hilarious, hahahaha!

I agree. 11 wins in a role. Not happening. Winning 18 that year will also never be broken. VJ got 9 wins one year. Maybe...juuuust maybe Jack's 18 majors might be approached, tied or broken.

With the right player and a long career, I think everything is possible with the exception of 11 in a row. Even two in a row right now is a massive accomplishment.

Would agree with this. Spieth has 2 already, if he somehow got 1 a year he could break Jack's record and still be in his 30s. Doubt he will have that type of pace, but with how young players are getting on tour and being really good it is possible.

But 11 in a row is impossible with the depth of the fields now a days.

I agree that the 11 wins in a row record will never be broken. Whats the modern day win streak, 2? 3?

Tiger won 7 in a row at one point.

Back